Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul 3 PU Peter Frampton Ebony

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by TXOldRedRocker, Aug 14, 2020.

1. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Well-Known Member

2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

For what they will bend you over for to have this there shouldn't any issues with it at all. It should be perfect.

3. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

No, but I am a LPC guy and that is top stuff from Gibson in the Custom department. Excellent appointments. I am not a HHH kind of guy, but rather have that than Ace's HHH LPC.
    If you like 3 pickup Customs, that is sweet.

TXOldRedRocker and Jethro Rocker like this.
  4. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

If it doesn't come with a Talk Box, is it really a Frampton model?

5. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hot guitar, man.

TXOldRedRocker likes this.
  6. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

It should play as if it walks on water.

7. TXOldRedRocker

I have this LP already. Just put it down to check the thread. The HHH really intrigues me. It'd be nice to have in the collection I'm working on.
    Triburst.jpg

8. TXOldRedRocker

The Custom Shop seems to be doing really good work these days. Better than a few years ago. The one I'm looking at was built in July and not yet played. I was also looking at a vintage Gold Top, but with the COVID stuff, I'm just not going to buy a higher dollar vintage guitar I can't touch and play. I'm willing to buy a brand new one that I can return if it's not as promised.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  9. TXOldRedRocker

10. Jethro Rocker

I have seen some reviews where the middle pickup is kinda useless. I was debating a 3 PUp model.
    My Custom shop from 2019 is gorgeous.

11. Jethro Rocker

Vintage Gold top???

12. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Yes, smart move according to your criteria, already having a nice Standard. A LPC or the Frampton will sound, feel and play differently even though the are both a Gibson Les Paul. The Ebony fretboards play themselves, and are very fast!
    Although it will take extra funds, to sound close to a real Frampton I would recommend T-Tops or at the least clones.
    (Consider for your collection that there are all Hog body LPC's - lighter and warm tone, or Maple cap body LPC - bright tone, like the Frampton.)

13. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

14. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Well-Known Member

Being the HUGE Frampton fan that I am (since '71 when Humble Pie released "Humble Pie Performance Rockin' The Fillmore) I have one and I love it!

[​IMG]

Mine has an ebony freboard (I've never played a guitar with a richlite board, so nothing against that) and I changed the pups to Seymour Duncan's made to Frampton's specs.

I personally don't feel that the middle pup is useless, quite the contrary. You can get some really nice tones by blending it in with either one, or both of the other two. Gives you a fatter Strat type tone.

I'd love to get one of "The Phenix" models, but they're way out of my price range.

On a side note, I have an original Heil Sound Talk Box that I bought in the mid '70s too.

[​IMG]

Good luck and :cheers:

15. TXOldRedRocker

Midnight Blues likes this.
  16. TXOldRedRocker

That is so awesome!! Which SD's did you put in it? I have a Strat I rebuilt with SD's that sounds great!

I'm a huge Frampton fan. Saw him on his farewell tour a few months back. It was great and also sad.

17. Midnight Blues

I'll bet they do sound great!

I contacted the Custom Shop and told them I wanted a set of HBs made to Frampton's specs, so they are the same one's he had in "The Phenix" (before he so named her) back in the '70s. Not that there was anything wrong with the original pups, but they're the same pups (except for the 500T of course) that I have in my Alex Lifeson "Inspired By" ES-355.

I saw Frampton back in the early '70s a couple of times before FCA was released and then several times thereafter over the years. Two notable times, we saw him in Albany, N.Y. in 2012 and then the following week (maybe two weeks later) at the Beacon Theatre in NYC, the night that he played "The Phenix" for the first time on stage since he got it back. That was very cool! That show is part of the video he released after that tour ended.

[​IMG]

My wife and I have met him a few times as well and he's always been very cordial. A really nice guy. We were supposed to see him last year on the farewell tour in Jacksonville, but hurricane Dorian had other ideas and he had to cancel the show. A real bummer for us. I'm hoping that once the virus is under control, that he returns to the tour and maybe add some new dates. Likely wishful thinking though.

I think Alex still owns both of these sites, so hopefully he won't mind if I do this:

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/the-peter-frampton-appreciation-thread.173245/

Best of luck in your negotiations and :cheers:

P.S.

My Frampton (as well as my other three Les Pauls) happens to be right next to me as I'm typing. :lol:

18. TXOldRedRocker

Thanks for sharing. Love the stories and link. I went to SD.com since your previous post and didn't see anything, so I figured they were custom. May do the same someday.

My LP 60's is resting on it's back and a neck rest plugged directly into my SV20H right now. Just finished dinner (I cooked for seven 15 year olds - birthday). I'll pick and strum some more in a little while.

Enjoy your weekend.

:cheers:

19. Midnight Blues

My pleasure.

Apologies for the confusion on the pups, I should've mentioned that in my first post.

Reads like you had a houseful!? Since you did the cooking, I hope you get dish duty too! :lol:

I love your '60s, she's a real beauty! Nice flame and I love the reflectors!

The Frampton will have a very similar neck. PF likes slimmer necks. That's how the neck was/is on "The Phenix". Mark Mariana either shaved it down himself, or he had Gibson do it when he sent it to them to add the third pup. His Burst (formerly J.J. Cale's) and his R0 have slim necks as well.

I hope you enjoy your weekend as well! :cheers:

20. Jethro Rocker

Really good to know!! I was just going by reviews of other 3 PUp Gibbys.
    If I got a black one it would be a 3 PUp. Not necessarily Frampton but a 3 PUp black. I like the 3 PUp black 335.