Gibson buys Mesa Boogie

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by RCM 800, Jan 6, 2021.

1. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

It’s not that you bend me over, it’s how you do it

Old Punker, tce63, anitoli and 2 others like this.
  2. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

what! roflmao.

tce63 and Vinsanitizer like this.
  3. Jimi-C

Jimi-C New Member

Glad I decided to get my Dual Recto before this happened . This feels like CBS buying Fender all over again ! Oh well ....such is life.

Old Punker, Maggot Brain and tce63 like this.
  4. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Does anyone know exactly how this affects mesa? We can't speculate unless we know the deal.If Gibson has too much say then I believe they'll destroy mesa without a doubt.

5. NoelH

NoelH Member

I'll say this: I drove up to Everett yesterday to play a Badlander at a local music store who's a Mesa dealer. It was the first Mesa amp I actually felt I could plug in and find a setting I could use quickly and be happy. I found a setting on the 3rd mode (the 2 channels are identical), that was similar to a JCM800 2204. And if I had a boost pedal as opposed to turning up the gain, I thought I could actually bond with it.
    As to Gibson buying Mesa? Why Smith would do this is beyond me. Maybe he felt it was time to retire??? Hope Doug West takes the helm. Though Mesa products aren't generally my thing, They are a VERY high quality product. I'd hate to see Gibson go the route of making cheaper junk just to try to recoup their sagging revenue.
    What will this mean in the long run? Remains to be seen.

tce63 likes this.
  6. NoelH

NoelH Member

That is the multi-million dollar question. I'm concerned Mesa will lower their quality control to meet a lower price point. Or start a lower-cost foreign-manufactured line, that will ruin Mesa.

tce63 likes this.
  7. The Dose of Harmony

The Dose of Harmony Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Dude i think everything went to shit!
    Gibson has s not recover Yet from their Hole!

tce63 likes this.
  8. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Randall Smith has faced the fact that the tube guitar amp is going the way of the dinosaur, and that there's nowhere else to go with guitar amps. He took the opportunity when it came along before it was too late. Why else would he sell, because he wanted to retire and drink cocktails on the beaches of the Caribbean sea? He can do that any time he feels like it already. Marshall is in the same predicament as well, and has known the future of tube guitar amps for a long time. No one wants to pay the price for the Marshall name (they wouldn't even know what to do with it), so the only other option is to just run it into the ground. That's why the DSL series hasn't been updated in over 20 years, sold a sh*t-ton of limited edition amps, tested the waters with modelling amps, and embarked on that "Lifestyle" stuff. What else do you do with a legendary name that defined generations that you can't sell off? You run it into the ground - until the name can longer even sell headphones and T-shirts anymore. Tube amps will always be around I imagine, but the big boys can't stay afloat forever.

tce63 likes this.
  9. Jimi-C

Jimi-C New Member

I don't believe anyone would intentionally run down their business , The cost to produce a product may become too expensive to make it and earn a profit , this usually translates into a higher consumer price , which can become too high and make the product unobtainable for most people , which can end a business real quick , remember when a brand new strat only cost $375 compared to today's prices .

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    tce63 likes this.
  10. Vinsanitizer

I never said nor implied that.
    And "there" is correctly spelled "their" in this context.

tce63 likes this.
  11. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Was it Tommy's? I didn't even think to look for the badlander last time I was in there!

12. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

wrong this one will deal..you got on my post with BS that had nothing to do with anything..i been posting gear & clips & strait up gear freak since day 1 here....who the F puts anything political in a post about mids in an amp response? i dont need to understand your forum behavior.it means nothing to me..have no problem dealing with you..here or anywhere..you just personalized it..

13. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

If Gibson just got out of trouble from buying other companies , then how they hell do they go right back doing what got them in trouble in the first place ? with new ownership as prior it was Henry J era and now under the new group picking up right where the old owner almost ran them into the ground and ocean . Damn can't learn from recent mistakes Gibson ? Mesa big deal-Gibson ,best leave Marshall alone on the other side of the pond OKAY !

tce63 likes this.
  14. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

My two cents on why I think Gibson Model of overseas production went bad:

They outsourced.

Fender MX is ownded by FMIC and subjected to the same standards and they invested a lot in the past 20 years in QA/QC. Now they are mass producing great stuff.

Gibson in the other hand outsourced their Kramer, Steinberger and Tobias production to 3rd parties. I think they should be in charge of their core business in this case. Guitars are not a brand, the time told that to us already. Is Brand plus Quality.

If they have learned that and they are willing to keep the thing as is at Mesa Boogie, things might end well. I just hope they don´t release a series of ¨rectifier headphones¨.

15. Vinsanitizer

^ This.

tce63 and Filipe Soares like this.
  16. Jimi-C

Jimi-C New Member

You Are correct on the misspelling.

tce63 likes this.
  17. Vinsanitizer

The 'A' in "are", in your sentence, is incorrectly capitalized.

fitz288 and tce63 like this.
  18. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

19. Jimi-C

Jimi-C New Member

I guess I can interpret this statement as "let it ride until they stop buying it" this could be so , but what the heck if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  20. Vinsanitizer

B-I-N-G-O !!!

tce63 likes this.