Getting old and Gigging

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by RCM 800, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Giblespaul2001

Giblespaul2001 Active Member

Let’s talk about the load in and load out. I haul the PA so I am always the first to arrive and I usually unload it and have it set up before anyone else arrives. After the show i start breaking the PA down first the others get their on gear out then they wait on me to break my stuff down. When it comes to hauling the PA out and loading it you can always count on two members to become MIA (singer) everyone shows back up when it’s time to settle up.
    I don’t know what has happened to today’s crowds (got smart?)at the end of our shows we use to have lots of people come up and volunteer to carry equipment out

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. DBI5

DBI5 Well-Known Member

3. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Man our bass player hauls the trailer when there isnt house PA. If he is there early he starts. What kills me is I set up the PA gear, wiring etc amd can use help. Often the other guitarist will get allll his stiff set up first, including tunung andbthen help. So that leaves all my stuff for last while they stand around. Not efficient.
    I do mention it, I did last time, he is one of my best buddies yet he was scroungjng for a tuner after I said I need help. Next time it will be hard n fast. Help with PA. Then do enough of your owm to soundcheck. Even the chick singer helps.
    Until the tear down. She drinks too much, falls to sleep jn a truck or just dogs it. Sigh... singers.... and chicks....

4. Giblespaul2001

I am going to have to learn those moves and start throwing around my LP like he is doing his banjo!

I bet that will get me some looks

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and DBI5 like this.
  5. Giblespaul2001

Sounds about like my nights. Our singer will walk in with his set list, mic and mic chord. He has (not a bad thing but should get to the venue earlier) got to go out and mingle with everyone I have to get him to come up and be getting ready for sound check and after I have set everything up before his arrival he hands me his mic chord to plug into the board. I nicely point over to the board

6. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

Primadonna shit like that is why I started singing and playing. Last band I was in that had a "singer" thought he was the shit. Same with the other guitar player. The bass player drummer and myself quit and left him and the other guitar player and took the audience and the future dates we had booked with us lol. They were pissed but you make your own bed.

7. Chrome

Chrome Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

this was our biggest crowd to date. bike rally in cookeville tennessee this last summer, there were a little over 3,000 people in the crowd. it is such a rush to play for a crowd like this. its what we live for, or at least I do. I consider that pretty good for a 57 year old man:cool: Junebug.jpg

8. dro

dro Well-Known Member

I came from the time when at 14. I started hanging around bands and helping carry equipment just so I could be around the music. When I go into a working band at 17. All band members were at every band event. From rehearsal to break down and load up. Back in my beginning we would have 3 full sized pickups, packed to the hilt. Plus guitars in cars. PA was just that PA. 6channel Peavey box with 4-5' tall tower speakers. 9 pc band plus 2 B/G singers/girlfriends/groupies. When we would leave for a gig, minimum 3 trucks, 3 cars. Sometimes more cars. Drive off and we would never see one another on the road. No matter how close or far away the gig was. When we would get within 1 mile or less of the gig. All cars and trucks would converge at the same intersection. Usually coming from different directions. Everyone would help set up. Do the gig, tear down, load out, get back to rehearsal room at same time, unload trucks, usually at 3 to 4 am. Watch some Three Stooges to wind down. Last gigs I played with what was left of that band. Myself and the Drummer, 40 years later. With a bass player who had come in after original bass player left. And guitar player who lived out of town. Left the Drummer and I to load up the trailer, haul to gig, set up, sound check, play the gig. Once we got paid, Bass player was all about give me my money, give me my money.
    Once he was paid, to shut him the #%&K up. He was gone. Other guitarist in bad shape medically and wasn't healthy enough to help. So, Here goes myself and the Drummer, To do all the work , Again.
    Which is why I put everything in road cases. But still. Band to me means band together. Being part of something bigger than yourself. It seems anymore, instead of one for all, and all for one. It's just MEMEMEMEME. I'm not wired that way. So unless I can find a group of guys to be an actual band. I don't care to be involved. Too much bullshit to put up with. Been there, done it, wrote a song about it, over it. Sorry to go off on a rant, it just still pisses me off. Enjoy your gigs, and help each other. Hauling equipment is a big enough pain. Pitch in. Doing your part is much more than carrying in your harmonica. How would you like it if the guy who usually hauls the PA to say. Oh I didn't feel like bringing your channel today. Or I didn't want to carry YOUR wedge.
    It takes cooperation. Co means all involved. I'm a singer/guitarist. Maybe net time I'll just let you cover all the music. And I'll just show up and sing. So I hope you can have the PA in place and set to my liking. Or you'll need to learn to do it yourself. Oh crap, I'm writing a book.

Do you guys get it? Don't Be A Jerk

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  9. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

Yea it seems like im the only one who sets up the PA. Bass and drummer act like theyve never ran speaker cables before. I just bought a label maker so Im gonna label every component and the cables and their gonna learn how to help me. Tired of being the last one set up and the last one tore down when they are at the bar or mingling. Gonna label the drums (probably the pad we throw down) too because we set everything up around them.

10. dro

dro Well-Known Member

They'll likely forget how to read
    It's amazing how stupid people can get when they get lazy.

Mitchell Pearrow and RCM 800 like this.
  11. Chrome

Chrome Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

my resolve for that. I quit paying everyone until all gear is loaded lol. it has worked pretty good so far.

12. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

Yeah, the singer in the band I was in was a prima dona. Only carried his mic. Plus he would come in late on gig nights and would miss practices. That is one of the reasons I quit. If we are getting paid, we should be more professional. Plus he stole the other guitar player's girlfriend even though he (the singer) was married with kids.

13. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

My friends would help me carry out stuff and then I would buy them beers. They always make fun of my Marshall head cover saying it was a toaster cozy.

14. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Sounds like he did the guitarist a favour.

15. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

You are singing my song. The 3 of us would always load and unload while the singer showed up late and chased tail.

16. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Well-Known Member

I played in cover and the all original band in my 20s. That original band was unique in that it was a real all-for-one mindset. We were young and one a mission. Lasted five years then older guys decided that being in their 30s was old...
    Basically 20 yrs off and now I'm gigging again at 51. I'm so dumb I'm in two bands!

One is a sort-of rock/variety band with up to 8 members...horns and stuff. They get better paying gigs (festivals & corp stuff) and rent a PA/lights. I'm in that one because some buddies run it, the tunes aren't bad, no loading except personal gear, and I make some new friends in around the band and "industry" again. Ages are four guys in 60s, me at 51, two 40s, and one in his 20s.

The other band I started in 2019 and is 90s alt/rock. Easier stuff to play but we are good and have fun. Only four guys so it's way looser and we have our own small PA and lights. We're all in our 50s

Because of COVID I've only done a few gigs with each but I'm happy to back into it again...not burnt out like it seems like some others are.
    My kids are older and doing their own stuff now. I'd rather have gigs & rehearsals happening then sitting at home doing nothing. Speaking of rehearsal, both bands are good enough where we don't need to practice and don't want to unless learning new stuff. A gig every 4-6 weeks is enough to keep everyone's memory intact.

Between the two bands I'm hoping to be playing all the time in 2021 when things get rolling again. As-is the variety band has two gigs Thanksgiving weekend and on New Years.

Since I now have both bands as 'outlets' for different music and work different I found my stress about how each operates and what we play is down considerably. I'm totally just wanting to have fun with them and ride where they go.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  17. Giblespaul2001

WoooooooWEEeeeee!
    Wish I could have been there.
    Old Fockers! Rocking out

Mitchell Pearrow, Chrome and tce63 like this.
  18. Giblespaul2001

Funny thing all these stories from everyone sound all to familiar for all of us!

Same Shitz going on everywhere!
    When it happens to you remember you are not alone.

19. Giblespaul2001

Bike Rally’s are always a BLAST! We were able to play some shows at Sturgis a few years ago and those shows are still at the top of my favorites!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Chrome and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

lol :cheers: