Getting old and Gigging

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by RCM 800, Nov 12, 2020.

1. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

My main focus right now is the PA. Moving to lightweight physically smaller wedges and mains but I can only afford to buy them a couple at a time. So far Ive done two of the floor wedges and need to do the other two and the mains. Switching from heavy ass power amps to lightweight class D amps made a heck of a difference also. Currently looking for a smaller case for my mixer also. Might end up building something or mod the one I have as none of the stuff out there is configured how I want. My dream is to be able to get all the gear for the whole band in my corolla lol.

Jethro Rocker and lespaul339 like this.
  2. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm 67.

Old but not dead.

I've been a hired gun with gigging.

I'd form a band but people my age are fossils and will work anywhere for pay and mostly for free.

I'm not one to put up with drama or people wanting to get away from their significant other.

Being a hired gun seems to be the thing.

3. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling Well-Known Member

My old guitar teacher is up there in years. He plays a les Paul and says because of its weight he uses a special strap that criss crosses in the back to distribute the weight better.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  4. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

We went to powered speakers. Heavier a bit, yes, but saves a rack full of amps. We usually buy used rehtal stock.
    It's Yorkville gear as we have so much of it here jn Canada, great stuff, good price. We have a few YX115P for floor monitors but I personally bought some of the little Elite E10P wedges. 325 watts, 650 peaks, 10" driver is fine for vox. They really kick.
    Tops for FOH I bought 2 Parasource PS12Ps. Digital processor, 1400 watts program.
    A couple smaller subs but they work for our venues. PS15 sub is 2000 watts, 16" for lotsa punch and the 18" counterpart for extreme lows.
    FOH
    https://yorkville.com/loudspeakers/parasource/product/ps12p/

Big sub.

[​IMG]

5. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Last two gigs were in 2016. One before my heart attack, one after. At 60, local gigs don't get my blood going anymore. The hot chicks, yeah well. Hot chicks are everywhere. And today they are all wearing masks. So even the ugly ones look good. Just go down to the nearest hardware outlet on a weekend, and wander the isles.

6. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

:applause:

7. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

I would give my Sig & whats in the hall to be able to gig again.. and the Mrs health was restored to pre accident status..i would carry my cabs & heads & guitars anywhere.. just to play again..

8. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

We were running yamaha 12" wedges and 15" mains with 2 QSC amps. The amps are heavy as hell so I bought a couple cheap ass class D amps at 7lb each. Theyve been great so far and both weigh less than half of one of the QSC amps. Switching to the cheap ass behringer passive stuff for speakers. They weigh nothing and sound good enough for the small gigs and dives we play.

9. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I put in the effort for 25 years to haul full stacks, racks of power amps and FoH stacks, giant 32 - 48 channel mixing boards, full monitor rig with rack and mixer, full LED light show, I was obese, I smoked cigarettes, and drank booze regularly.

At 40 I became single, I started exercising, eating properly and healthy, stopped drinking. I actually stopped smoking 3 years prior.

I also stopped "doing it all" for the band, and just worried about my personal rig. No more 6 guitars, no more dual full stacks. No more $1000 personal powered monitors... etc.

Suddenly, moving gear is effortless.

Funny how that works huh?

After 30 some years... I will not gig with less or more than a 50watt head and a 212 cab. I also bring my own mic.

I have found happiness

10. Sapient

Sapient Life Coach & Birthday       Planner Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

I left my band just after Covid made its debut. I think that had a part in killing it ..killing fun. I'm so burnt out on anything we call music that it's almost Chinese water torture to hear it let alone play it, let alone take the time and effort to learn it. I believe I've closed that chapter in my life as it feels like I've walked out of prison forever for some odd reason. Now I just lay on my couch and jam myself, like I've always done and how I like it to be done.

There is also something very uninspiring seeing the young hot chicks onto other things and the ones my age so old and blown out. I remember playing and chicks would buy me a drink to be brought up to the stage. You just knew it was game on then. Ah, the youthful rock guitarist days. It's just not the same anymore hangin' out with my gramma and grampa band mates not being too far behind them. The good days for this have long since been and gone, unfortunately. Life changes.

11. dro

dro Well-Known Member

JBL PRX 715 and 815 powered, under 50 lbs. each power amp included. 815 has bluetooth processing built in. 715 has a main mon button that shapes the eq curve for different applications. put em in a rolling case and you're good to go. Will eliminate the weight of power amps and eqs. Sound quality is unmatched for the price range. Plus nearly half the weight of my Yamaha 15"club series. Higher price, but when you figure the cost of power amps, the cost is negligible. Down sized to a single sub as well JBL PRX 718 powered. Place aimed at drummers seat. Set it to where he likes it. It will be plenty for out front believe me. and every one on stage can hear it too. But like everybody else. At this point. It's all just money in a box. Haven't used my PA in quite some time now.

RCM 800 likes this.
  12. Giblespaul2001

Giblespaul2001 Active Member

Ah yeah the gigging! The harvest of all the hard work and putting up with all the band BS we musicians have to deal with before we ever reach the stage. Nothing like the rush (High) that one gets when the band is clicking and the crowd is responding. I like many of you others have and still do roll into the house at 3-4am only to have to be at work by 8am. Waking up a few hours later with ringing ears (sometimes a little hung over) and aching body parts. Still loving it! I could not never imagine not doing it. With that said I do like some time off to recharge my batteries and that usually don’t take long.I do love to travel light for a quick load in and out. But would never sacrifice the bands sound for the sake of making things easy.

13. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

14. Sapient

Sapient Life Coach & Birthday       Planner Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

That's the part I just don't get these days. My sensible conscience keeps me more embarrassed than feeling "high" or cool. Older people on stage in cover bands do not look cool. Enjoy it if you do but don't let delusion steer you wrong. No offense either.

15. Giblespaul2001

Embarrassed? From what?
    No offense taken. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Don’t let your feelings stop you from having fun. And don’t worry I want let my delusion steer me wrong. I promise! Rocking out isn’t a young or old thing. Playing live and making music don’t have a age limit. I see older guys that look WAY cooler out playing than a bunch of kids jumping around. The HIGH that I get from playing live is for me and not anyone else. I think it’s just a self preference and that’s cool. I have young guys always coming up to me to talk gear, tone or how I can help them get into a club. Remember you want stay young all your life and always respect others that have payed their dues. I learned a long time ago not to worry about what others are doing or thinking. Oh..... and let me not forget about all those middle age ladies.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  16. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

ED is the ass kicker. Can be very hard to justify doing something for primarily the sole purpose of getting laid when you can no longer get laid..........................Just a thought.

17. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

No offense either, but I do not agree at all.

Your goal shouldn't be playing to "look cool" or "pickup women", that is is the delusion... "sex, drugs, rock n roll".

You should love playing, then enjoy your time on the stage. When you project that to people watching you, you do look extremely cool, because they are wanting to be entertained, and if you take care of yourself, even in old age, women will notice you. Women get older to.... crazy huh?

What you project of yourself can be attractive or unattractive to everyone, not just women.

18. Giblespaul2001

you must be speaking for you and Ed??.......and do me a favor try not to think to much and don’t waste my time.

19. Giblespaul2001

Once again no pun intended. When did I say that? Sorry but you took it the wrong way. Have fun with what you do and I will do the same. Like I said I could care less what others think. Sorry but I am not shooting for 100% approval. You have expressed your opinion and feelings on older (still not sure what you consider older) rockers out gigging. My advice is the next time you go into a club and if any of the band members are what you consider older just step right on up to the stage and voice your opinion. Please be as loud and proud as you have been in your response here. Then please come back to the forum and give us a update when you have done that. Lots of people out having fun. Let me make this easy for you we are out playing classic rock, we don’t do drugs, we’re all married and have day time jobs it’s fun for us.

20. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Actually it was just joke. Didn't mean to offend you.