Getting old and Gigging

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by RCM 800, Nov 12, 2020.

1. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

Ive been working on downsizing and lightening up our band gear. We played a small wedding last weekend and the OR20H into my open back V30 1x12 did excellent. We were playing out doors and had to keep the volume reeled in so I never left the 3 watt setting. Had the girls shaking their asses the whole time so I feel we accomplished our mission lol. Band is a 3 piece, basically all the backline gear and drums are mine, everyone sings. I bought a Ludwig Questlove Pocket kit, added a Meinel cymbal pack and Aquarian Heads. Replaced the kick pedal and hi hat stand and added a couple double braced stands. Bass amp is a Fender Rumble 100 1x12 combo. The whole setup works great together and with my PA we could play just about anywhere. Still working on the PA to get it lighter Im about half way there. Trying to find ways to keep gigging with failing old body and no roadies lol. People laugh at my little drum set until they hear it. Helps that my drummer is a tiny F'er, and the best Ive ever played with. Nice thing is with the downsize we can fit all the gear in my 4 door Jeep wrangler.

Anways I know Im not the only one here who isnt a spring chicken so what are you guys doing to stay gigging as you age? Extra strength tylenol arthritis is my friend lol.

2. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I quit gigging six years ago and I honestly do not miss it. It wasn't so much because fo me getting old, (I'm 36) it was because gigging got old to me.

Trelwheen likes this.
  3. RCM 800

I still enjoy it but we are all on board to only do it occasionally, like once a month or even less. We are also very particular about where and when we play. We adjust our prices accordingly for stuff we dont really want to do. Im 49 and due to dumb shit I did when I was younger I pretty much wake up in pain and my job doesnt help lol.

4. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

That wouldn't be so bad. Once a month still keeps it fun.

My old band would gig all weekend long. We'd drive to cities up to 4 hours away and play shows. Add band practice twice a week on top of that, and it just got to be too much for me. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy playing live, it just got to the point where I felt like I didn't have time for anything else in my life besides that band. I was gone all the time.

5. RCM 800

Yea I have friends that are playing out 3 or 4 nights a week and sometimes daytime gigs too on top of their work schedule. That would wear my ass down not to mention I have other hobbies I need for my mental heath. I have to spend time in the woods fishing hunting or 4 wheeling or I get stir crazy.

mirrorman, Crikey, Trelwheen and 2 others like this.
  6. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I thought the only difference when gigging old Vs young was instead of booze and groupies backstage you had Geritol and Life Alert......

7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:iough:
    :funny:
    That’s great :cheers:
    I haven’t played out in so long , I forget about all the hassles and shit that went with it, our last 2 gigs where outdoors and we had a massive amount of gear to move.
    And no lights to consider..
    Cheers
    Mitch

8. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I recently dug out some of my SVTs...

svt.jpg

9. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

Good
    Good for you, RCM800! I’m with you at 67 years old. I’ve been around the music business since 59’. That’s me at 4 in front of Pop’s r&r band. My problem is I just cannot go small. I’ve been lucky with my health so far and I just keep trudging on with the equipment. I use a Fender 300 watt Super Bassman with 6x10 cabinet. I also own the guitar rig -a JTM45 with 2 4x12 cabs. PA is for vocals only. In the band is a 32yo, 2 guys in their 50s and myself - 8428EE38-E7D9-49B2-95E0-AF020FAB934E.jpeg the old guy at 67.

10. RCM 800

time for some F'ing thunder lol.

11. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

My last official gig was a good one to go out on....huge congressional fundraiser, big receptive crowd. The promoter asked when we'd be available for another gig....I said "Sorry, we just now broke up." The rest of the band wanted to snap off my joystick and throw it on the grill. Oh well.

I never really liked gigging or touring very much. I'm the quintessrntial wet blanket, the Debbie Downer of the gigging culture. I do like it when my buddies invite me to sit in as a guest at some their shows. I don't mind showing off occasionally. But all the time? Sheeeeit....aside from the applause it ain't what I consider a joyous existence.

I liked playing my tunes on my radio show, I like writing music and jingles for commercials. I like recording alone, there are rarely artistic differences when I'm by myself.

My dream never involved being in a big arena touring band. My dream come true would be something like writing a symphony or rock opera, attending the debut and getting a standing O when they point me out in the audience as the composer.

Music grips my soul. Slogging around everywhere and staying in hotels grips my nuggets.

:headbanger:

12. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

My son has the Quest Love set - it sounds amazing for it's size.

Russ

13. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

go big, or go home! :)...

14. RCM 800

Yea right, it sounds "real" lol. Sounded good out of the box but even better with good heads.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Well now things are rather slack.
    The last few years my main band played out 4 or 5 times a year, hoping for more with my originals band.
    Most places here in the city have house PA so I just haul guitars, amp, pedal board, gig bag etc.
    I have given up on late long drives. The wife n I hotel it. Thoee are winding down amd I'm gald for it.

We have all our gear in a 4 x 8 trailer for my cover band. I own a larger and smaller mixer etc etc myself but we are self co tained.
    LED front lights, big Par 56 back lights, 2 x powered subs, 2x powered tops, 5 powered wedges, 24 channel board, etc etc it goes. I haul my personal gear in an SUV, at least 2 guiatrs, usually 3 venue dependent. Amp will vary according to venue and what I feel like playing.
    Usually takes a good 2 hrs to haul in amd set up. It feels way worse at 2 AM in pack up.
    I turned 57 this yeat. Gigs for us aren't standing arpund playjng we try to put on a show. Dont take yourself too seriously but play like it's Wembley Stadium!!
    I like gigging still if it isnt a long late drive and pain in the ass.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  16. Jethro Rocker

Better add another pic.

[​IMG]

17. Jethro Rocker

You two got a long ways to go to get old!! Keep at it!!
    Well done man. Rock till you drop I say!

As long as you are enjoying it that is to say. If not then can it.

18. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Im wo
    im working on writing my masterpiece.... i need more digeradoos, i want an army of digeradoos.. i hear you bro. I like playing out butnow its all about writing originals

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  19. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I play predominantly originals, and I don’t see a change in the near future.
    Thanks

20. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

You can only get so light and thats it Bro! You can down size everything to a point where its still usable. Maybe dollies, carts, etc might help. I rehearsed last night and I was lugging my JCM 4010 (JCM 800 1X12 Combo) in and I was like this is heavy but whatever I will make this work!