Get Back... (spoiler alert!)

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Torren61, Nov 26, 2021.

1. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

When Eric showed her the song and told her it was for her, she finally caved and that was the first time they "did it".

Eric was hopelessly in love with Patti, and George was getting in so deep with the eastern religious thing that he had taken to neglecting her. Of course Eric eventually wound up marrying Patti..But neither George nor Eric treated her very well in the long run, according to her book. However, through it all George and Eric remained good friends.

l

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Torren61 likes this.
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

in the original recordings, there is hours of Paul hammering on that song all by himself. In some of the bootlegs, the recording makes it sound like he's all alone in a dark cold room singing a sad song to himself...

I remember thinking that, it was intriguing, that, you have Paul, at the top of the world, who could write something so depressing. Makes you realize, that, if he's so sad/depressed, it's quite ok, for those not so fortunate, to have similar thoughts/feelings.

ibmorjamn, GregM and Torren61 like this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

if you didn't know that they broke up, well before this documentary, you've been asleep...

Sapient, LPMarshall hack and Torren61 like this.
  4. Dogs of Doom

no, you need to see the rest...

you are getting sleepy... sleepy... sleepy...

now go see it... :)...

:wave:

Sapient, Trelwheen and Torren61 like this.
  5. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

I finished watching and I saw very little negativity. It was actually the opposite, I was super impressed with their playfulness.

And Billy Preston was incredible. One of the best pianists I've ever seen. Without him, the songs would have been so much less.

ibmorjamn and Torren61 like this.
  6. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I'm watching it right now, pretty good so far.

I've read that toward the end George and Ringo felt kind of left out of the songwriting process..Watching the film that's pretty apparent..George was showing them some of his new songs and Paul just looked bored and impatient..Poor Ringo just kind of sat behind his drums and endured it. Neither seemed overly happy.

Arc Anjil and Torren61 like this.
  7. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I just started watching but I have to get ready for work soon. Funny moment where George Harrison is talking about his playing and comparing Eric Clapton. I had a deja vu moment. It reminded of James Hetfields expression when Kirk said “it’s not working for me” in year and a half in the life.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Torren61 likes this.
  8. ibmorjamn

This series affirms what I I knew , Paul had a huge knowledge of music and is so obvious, John of course as well but damn Paul is multi talented. Carry on.

Torren61 and DaDoc like this.
  9. ibmorjamn

Kill the ono

Torren61 likes this.
  10. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

It would appear that at the time Paul had kind of taken the role of bandleader, I was always under the impression that was John's role. But John was probably into Yoko at the time and not much else, and somebody had to be the bandleader..Maybe I'm presuming too much, but John didn't seem to have brought much to the sessions, it was mostly Paul..Although as I've already said, it seemed George wanted to do some of his new stuff, and Paul kind of gave him the brush-off, and Ringo just sat behind his drums and looked unhappy.

And there was a bit too much clowning around going on when they had a deadline to meet, I would have found that infuriating after awhile..George apparently finally had had enough, and went home..And I don't blame him!

I'm only through about half the second episode, so I've got a bit more to watch. It WAS cool to watch Paul sitting behind the piano working out some of their best-known songs with all the chaos going on around him, and it was also cool to watch how they would work out a melody by basically scat-singing the lines to get an arrangement together and then fill in the blanks on the lyrics.

So far, it's been a cool and nostalgic insight into the fab four's songwriting process, and a nice trip down memory lane..I've always been a HUGE Beatles fan, and IMO this movie is a must-see!

Arc Anjil, ibmorjamn and Torren61 like this.
  11. Torren61

Torren61 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Agreed. As was previously pointed out, they were obviously a band without management guidance after Epstein died. Take that and John getting into heroin and Yoko becoming his conjoined twin, George's frustration that his own material was being discounted when he KNEW it was good, the pressure of making a documentary that was also going to be an album AND a live concert plus being stuck in Twickenham where it wasn't working out and THEN Paul stepping up to replace John as band leader... what a difficult time it was for them. But they STILL came up with some really good songs.

The whole John/Yoko/Beatles dynamic was laid out when Paul was saying that they couldn't tell John to leave Yoko out of the studio because John would have taken it as "it's either The Beatles or Yoko" and Yoko was not going to lose THAT battle. Paul said something to the effect of how awful it would be years later to look back on it and know The Beatles broke up because Yoko was sitting on an amp.

It was clear to me that they wouldn't have gotten ANYTHING done if a) Paul hadn't been pushing and b) if Billy Preston hadn't been invited to sit in and I'd say more "b" than "a".

I wonder what would have happened if they had had counseling and had settled on new management before starting a new project. I also think "All Things Must Pass" would have made a spectacular Beatle song with all four performing it.

Funny, I found myself almost yelling (in my head of course, lol) at the screen of where some of the songs should go when they were stuck on them, lol. "Paul! "Let It Be" should start with the piano chords and THEN start singing. Hey guys, leave out those opening "All I need is you" vocals on "Dig A Pony" and just do the opening riff and then have John start singing. It's "Loretta MARTIN and Jojo lived his home in TUCSON, AZ"."

DaDoc and ibmorjamn like this.
  12. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

I don't have cable. I'm sad.

Torren61 likes this.
  13. Torren61

Torren61 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We stream everything. If you have internet, you can try Disney+ for a demo and watch Get Back and then cancel it.

DaDoc, ibmorjamn and Dogs of Doom like this.
  14. Dogs of Doom

15. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Paul shoulda told John to GTFO if he was gonna let that ugly shrill in the studio. If John left, he coulda replaced him with Brian Wilson.

Boom

jmp45, DaDoc and Torren61 like this.
  16. Marshall Stack

Ah, I like your thinking. I will do that. I can't let my daughter know because she has been wanting it.

I have Amazon Prime and Netflix but hardly watch them. I only had cable for local sports but after they got into politics I lost interest. I don't miss TV anymore. The only time now is for YouTube guitar lessons.

Torren61 likes this.
  17. Marshall Stack

There could be an effective anti-drug commercial showing that heroin leads to Yoko..

drolaw, Torren61 and LPMarshall hack like this.
  18. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

And Yoko leads to ED

jmp45, drolaw and Torren61 like this.
  19. ibmorjamn

They did mess around a lot but it was endless hours I think they were going crazy just playing around. At many points the were not cohesive. I am sorry for the Harrison fans but to me both he and Ringo were not at the Level of Paul or John but there are lots of bands like that. Whether or not Paul or John ever led the band or John being severely distracted. Paul stood out on that session. I kind think maybe he might have restrained his leadership before maybe for the bands sake or Epstein passing had something to do with that but he clearly needed to step up. George got pissed. Guitar players are a dime a dozen. Lol

Torren61 likes this.
  20. drolaw

drolaw Member

I finished watching all 3 parts...I got a laugh out of Ringo when he was sitting with people around him and Paul was standing in front of them talking and then Ringo said "I just farted." My 12 year old self laughed so hard I farted.

I'm not a huge Beatles fan but have a lot of respect for them. It was a great opportunity to see them being themselves; however, it was clearly a band in turmoil. I agree with others that Paul was the MVP of those sessions. I didn't realize how diverse a musician he was/is. George demonstrated that he cares about the music. I felt bad for him when Paul and John disregarded his songs - happens a lot in bands where you have multiple song writers. Ringo looked bored most of the time.

As for John, it surprised me how lackadaisical John was at times. All the rumors I've heard about Yoko apparently are true. She was at Johns hip 24/7 and he made sure she was there during band meetings..WTF?? Per Paul...they're trying to become 1 body. I don't know how the Beatles broke up - figure it had to be a long process due to money and lawyers but I suspect John was on his way out at least mentally.

Torren61 likes this.