George @ Metropoulos MIA?

tWreCK

Reaction score
I'm in the market to buy a set of Metro-spec trannies for a '68 clone and I've tried for the past several weeks calling, emailing, Facebook message etc with no luck. Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble getting in touch with George? He doesn't have any transformers in stock in the store and hasn't for quite some time now. Supply chain issues (Heyboer?) are probably the root of the problem but still. I know he's busy and he's had his share of health problems but you would think he would respond at some point to give an update.

Is he going to continue offering trannies/parts or is he shuttering that part of the business? At the moment it's basically impossible to get transformers from Merren/Metro/Marstran/Heyboer. Frustrating..........

tWreCK

Reaction score
I did read that but that's been there for the past 8 months.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
My buddy ordered Metro iron over a year ago. He was last told by George that he hoped to ship by the end of 2021. He did not get them yet and George isn’t responding to emails.

neikeel

Reaction score
There was a message on FB from George saying that he was going to Heyboer in person and hoping to come back with a load of transformers (whether these are for his Metroplex or for sale I do not know?)

william vogel

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s my opinion of the problem at hand. I’ve spoken to Chris Merren. I probably should have called Phil at Heyboer too but Chris spelled it out. Oh, I talked to the wife of the owner of Edcor transformers also.
Magnetic Components closed the doors. They were Classictone Transformers. The stamping company that made the end bells for all US made guitar related transformers also closed. Steel stamping companies that produce lamination steel for transformers are limited on the steel rolls used to stamp laminations. The price of the laminations has increased by large percentages.
Heyboer has attempted to take the load of demand from the Classictone closure but the business model was build to order vs build to stock. Classictone had an inventory built based on demand and would maintain stock most of the time based on demand. Heyboer supposedly acquired some of the equipment from the Classictone closure but needs more personnel. Heyboer may possibly be able to more closely meet this demand but speculation of the market, materials supply and limitations of personnel is slowing production. They are swamped and are working harder than ever but can’t meet production demands. This requires our patients. If they increase production volume past a certain point, quality will suffer. Amp Parts Direct has leverage with purchasing because they place orders larger enough to load the winding machines to full capacity. The trick to get transformers is buy a quantity that loads the machine. I’m actually thinking about doing it and offering the transformers for sale. Single piece orders are held back in production unfortunately because they slow the process of meeting demand of quantity orders.
I began winding my own transformers because it’s been a goal of mine from the beginning and because the shortage of supply. Winding my own has taught me so much more about amplifiers than I ever thought. The real sound of the amplifier comes from the circuit but the output transformer has such an effect on the final sound.

mboone831

Reaction score
I'm in the market to buy a set of Metro-spec trannies for a '68 clone and I've tried for the past several weeks calling, emailing, Facebook message etc with no luck. Just wondering if anyone else is having trouble getting in touch with George? He doesn't have any transformers in stock in the store and hasn't for quite some time now. Supply chain issues (Heyboer?) are probably the root of the problem but still. I know he's busy and he's had his share of health problems but you would think he would respond at some point to give an update.

Is he going to continue offering trannies/parts or is he shuttering that part of the business? At the moment it's basically impossible to get transformers from Merren/Metro/Marstran/Heyboer. Frustrating..........
He posted on FB that he was taking a full time job. The past 2 years has really put the pressure on a lot of small businesses. I feel for him, he has bills to pay like the rest of us.

tWreCK

Reaction score
He posted on FB that he was taking a full time job. The past 2 years has really put the pressure on a lot of small businesses. I feel for him, he has bills to pay like the rest of us.
I get that and of course I also understand his business predicament as well as the health issues he's having. It's a tough business to survive in especially in these times. But if you have a business you need to communicate with your potential customers (email/phone/facebook etc) on a regular basis to let them know what's going on. Being incommunicado isn't good business practice imho...........

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Dude he isn't taking orders. He isn't selling transformers. If he had a update would let us know.

Your wasting both of your time. He has a life and he made it clear he doesn't have what you need.

loudamp1

Reaction score
Probably should message him on FB.
As someone mentioned Amp Parts Direct is a good source but if they have what you want in stock move on it cause it takes awhile to restock. I just ordered a one off PT from heyboer for a build and it’s a 10-12 week lead time………

playloud

Reaction score
Amp Parts Direct has leverage with purchasing because they place orders larger enough to load the winding machines to full capacity. The trick to get transformers is buy a quantity that loads the machine. I’m actually thinking about doing it and offering the transformers for sale.

What sort of quantity are we talking here? Crowdfunding opportunity?

Kelia

Reaction score
Here’s my opinion of the problem at hand. I’ve spoken to Chris Merren. I probably should have called Phil at Heyboer too but Chris spelled it out. Oh, I talked to the wife of the owner of Edcor transformers also.
Magnetic Components closed the doors. They were Classictone Transformers. The stamping company that made the end bells for all US made guitar related transformers also closed. Steel stamping companies that produce lamination steel for transformers are limited on the steel rolls used to stamp laminations. The price of the laminations has increased by large percentages.
Heyboer has attempted to take the load of demand from the Classictone closure but the business model was build to order vs build to stock. Classictone had an inventory built based on demand and would maintain stock most of the time based on demand. Heyboer supposedly acquired some of the equipment from the Classictone closure but needs more personnel. Heyboer may possibly be able to more closely meet this demand but speculation of the market, materials supply and limitations of personnel is slowing production. They are swamped and are working harder than ever but can’t meet production demands. This requires our patients. If they increase production volume past a certain point, quality will suffer. Amp Parts Direct has leverage with purchasing because they place orders larger enough to load the winding machines to full capacity. The trick to get transformers is buy a quantity that loads the machine. I’m actually thinking about doing it and offering the transformers for sale. Single piece orders are held back in production unfortunately because they slow the process of meeting demand of quantity orders.
I began winding my own transformers because it’s been a goal of mine from the beginning and because the shortage of supply. Winding my own has taught me so much more about amplifiers than I ever thought. The real sound of the amplifier comes from the circuit but the output transformer has such an effect on the final sound.
Great post William , thank you ! One question I have and don't to hijack the thread but what was the difference sound and feelwise
between the Classictone vs Heyboer trannys for your JTM 45/100 ? Asking cause I saw that you had the CT's for sale
at one point and figured you probably prefered the H's but maybe I'm wrong . You still have them for sale ?

Last edited:

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
I get that and of course I also understand his business predicament as well as the health issues he's having. It's a tough business to survive in especially in these times. But if you have a business you need to communicate with your potential customers (email/phone/facebook etc) on a regular basis to let them know what's going on. Being incommunicado isn't good business practice imho...........
Ok, the key phrase here is "potential customers". If you were a past or current customer, that would be different. It doesn't sound like you're either, and since he has no tranny stock, at least for some time to be or ever, there's really not incentive to contact you. Make sense?

tWreCK

Reaction score
Ok, the key phrase here is "potential customers". If you were a past or current customer, that would be different. It doesn't sound like you're either, and since he has no tranny stock, at least for some time to be or ever, there's really not incentive to contact you. Make sense?
I was referring to "potential customers" in a general sense. And yes - I am a past customer of George. If I'm a future potential customer and I was looking to purchase a product from a new business I would first make an inquiry for information, technical questions, warranty etc before purchasing. Especially if there are other alternatives on the market. If that business never responds I would take my business elsewhere and tell everyone else I know to avoid it too. If a business owner is only looking for "incentives" to interact with customers then buyer beware............

Last edited:

tWreCK

Reaction score
I’ll have to call Phil at Heyboer and see what quantity discount applies.
Are we talking you're own spec Marshall type transformers or the Metro-spec tranformers? Are the Metro-spec trannies available (from Heyboer) to the general public or are they Metropoulos exclusive?

Last edited:

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
I was referring to "potential customers" in a general sense. And yes - I am a past customer of George. If I'm a future potential customer and I was looking to purchase a product from a new business I would first make an inquiry for information, technical questions, warranty etc before purchasing. Especially if there are other alternatives on the market. If that business never responds I would take my business elsewhere and tell everyone else I know to avoid it too. If a business owner is only looking for "incentives" to interact with customers then buyer beware............
Ok, you're really missing the point. I haven't had a decent cab maker since 2014, I had to put up a disclaimer on my site as to why I don't have cabs available. My DBL Attenuators are on hiatus now (likely forever) until the supply chain is reliable. Just too many things aren't available or the prices fluctuate so much you can't control what you'll spend to make a product.

Due to that, a generic post is on each of those pages, which is as follows.

"The products on this page are temporarily unavailable​

until further notice due to material shortages."​

There's no "incentive" for me to discuss potential, present or past sales since I can't provide the product at the current time. George kept everyone in the loop for months about this, at least I read his updates. You need to do the following...1) Contact Heyboer about buying with George's permission if they even have materials or 2) Contact Mercury Magnetics or another tranny source to finish what you're trying to build. I think you are really taking this far too personal when there are literally hundreds of clients I'm sure George would love to make sales to. But if all he can say is "I don't know when I can provide what you want!" then there is no incentive to piss clients off, lead them on, or waste the time or energy explaining it each and every singe time someone can't accept the posted explanation that has been posted and present for months.

Latest posts