Gentlemen, And The Rest Of You. I Have An Announcement.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by chiliphil1, Sep 22, 2016.

1. mk2 steve

mk2 steve Well-Known Member

Wrong. The tone shift does not replace the multiple inputs like on an old Marshall. It shifts the mids (read: scoops), which works fine if you're playing alone, but effectively works as a "make me disappear in the mix" button when played in a band. Marshall has done similar with the contour dial on certain amps (add / cut mids). This does not replace the normal/high inputs of older amps.

2. Open Lane

Open Lane Member

A couple years ago, someone on here posted settings the get an yngwie tone out of a dsl style amp. Probably one of the most valuable posts i've ever seen on here. Belongs in the HOF.

3. Oldpunk

Oldpunk Well-Known Member

I dig my DSL, the only problem with it is I like my JMD even more.

Ghostman likes this.
  4. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Personally I think it was MUCH better with the tone shift button out. Deep in tone out.. That's the way.. On the other side, I played a DSL40C again today (3rd time) and it still sounds like poop to me.. Is the speaker REALLY that bad??

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  5. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Sometimes, cutting through over the rest of the band and standing out is exactly what you don't want.

In fact, in a lot of music, the guitar is not there to lead, or to solo. It's not the forefront, or the driving force. It's there for atmosphere and accompaniment. Not everyone want's to hear Metallica, Judas Priest, Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix, etc etc...

Also, not everyone wants to play in a band with an '80s guitar hero or a prog djent 300bpm shredder..... There are many different types of music, that believe it or not are not centered around the rock guitar model.

I keep saying it over and over, the DSL is versatile and designed to fit many settings. I don't think anyone is listening.....

6. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with not liking it.

There is tons of gear I don't like.

Funny thing though, a lot of other people do, and they use it with great results.

7. mk2 steve

mk2 steve Well-Known Member

You should try turning your tone shift button off, maybe you'd be heard.

I kid, I kid.

marshallmellowed and Dmann like this.
  8. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

True. I've tried the tone shift IN a few times live and have to do drastic EQ changes between songs in order to hear it properly as it does kill that cutting through the mix property. Not that you CAN'T use it, I just found it awkward to go between the two. For what I play. It's a mid scoop, really, and not my thing.
    I really like the Resonance control on the 40C, can get nice lows at lower volumes.

dreyn77 likes this.
  9. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

Guys, the old amps enhance the mids too. In the same way.
    We've been trained for such a long time that you only plug into the high input, just cause we've listened too closely to bands like AC/DC, that all we think is to do it their way.
    Name any vintage band and their product they used and they too have had a massive influence on most guitarist of 2016.

The problem is, those bands didn't have today's gear back then. They grew up thinking they knew what to do. The problem arises when companies keep building product and its further away from those old amps.
    At that point every user needs to re-educate themselves about what's going on with amp adjusting.
    Nobody out there ever did. So now we're left in the mad world of gossip.

The few people who survived all the costly mistakes were the guitarists who stuck to buying gear from the same brand.
    Everyone else talks stuff which they have no idea what they're saying. They believe they're saying the best info, but its always proven to make nasty sounds. So, they're wrong, somehow.

It's time we all change cause its not an option to keep making massive errors.
    The predictable nature of humans is, when they're caught lacking knowledge they keep saying they're always right. If you keep pointing out they're saying stuff which results in failure, they will keep saying they're right, for the rest of their lives.
    But if you don't pester them, those people have time away from the group, and they somehow, reinvent themselves to take up the other information. The opposite information.

Marshall isn't lying to you about not putting in the sound effect of the multi input amp. It's in there.
    The celebrity is wrong and uneducated.
    Just accept the brand and don't argue.

Me, personally, I've had to do 2 years research into this stuff, away from guitar amps, to find the answers to this topic. Naturally I listen to everybody and hold onto words for decades until I find out which information is real and which is a lie.
    There's no way I'll go back to info which has proven to be a lie, ever again.
    You'll have to change your view on amps, cause that idea has proven to be anti marshall.
    This is why I say lots of guys need to step away from Marshall amps and do other things cause guys are SO focused on super fine detail ALL the time, they don't realise marshall has changed the amps, and they should be doing that.
    Your love affair has become too great and its crushing marshall to death. You can't tolerate another amp being built. That's sad!

10. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

Does anyone fit this description?

11. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

HaHa....priceless..

12. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

I agree the 2K DSLs are very responsive to OT , and Choke upgrades, brings more clarity, and quickens up the amp a lot. My DSL50 was fine in stock , but the bright cap was way too bright at the stock 470pf,and the upgrades did bring it closer to the vintage sound in my head.

13. jlinde1973

jlinde1973 Well-Known Member

Ya I don't care for the mid button either..it takes away all of the cutting mids and a little bit of treble bite as well.