Gentlemen, And The Rest Of You. I Have An Announcement.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by chiliphil1, Sep 22, 2016.

1. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

..sinners wake up late. ..old swedish saying. ..
    j

2. mk2 steve

mk2 steve Well-Known Member

Good luck cutting through a band mix with that tone shift button engaged. That brightness that the bedroom players hate, is what helps you stand out in a mix

3. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I find my DSL40C very fun to play and I know how to get all kinds of Marshall tones out of mine. Good tonez. Fuck nutz!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    CraigP likes this.
  4. solarburnDSL50

I'm no gentleman. Feed this to the fish. DSL40c.

CraigP likes this.
  5. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

Not a huge 900 fan across the board, but I do know that the 900 2100 SL-X I have sounds fantastic, and can get pretty close to sounding like my 800, with a bit more zip. I think people get into hating the 900s tend use to much gain, and it just mucks things up. I tend to keep the gain down and push the master into crunch territory, as opposed to fizzing things up with gain...just my .02 on the 900 I have.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  6. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

wrong mk2 dude.

7. solarburnDSL50

Amen bro. Mine sounds fucking tits. I do the exact same thing. Mix enough power section into the preamp and tone comes alive.

Gunner64 likes this.
  8. GT08

GT08 Well-Known Member

I really regret originally saying "nice post" to this.
    This was really another very vague post, with yet more vague responses from the OP.
    Sorry but I think I am wasting my time here!

9. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

A little experience and education goes a long way as to making choices on how one can achieve the tone required for a certain project and what tools will get you there.

Once one realizes this, the dick measuring pissing contests tend to become nothing more than obnoxious opinions from average Joe blows.

The DSL (both the 2000 and the new line) are affordable, versatile, and one of Marshalls biggest selling amps. I gigged the newer one a lot for over a year with great results. I've recorded with it as well and again it performed as expected, Un modded, factory tubes.

I still get offers to gig, with them knowing I use this amp. No one seems to have an issue.

/shrug

10. solarburnDSL50

The amp is capable in capable hands. IME it rips and rolls off to clean very nice. I can use 1 channel and get clean, blues, classic rock, hard rock and metal. Lead 2 amp gain low and pedal to push into heavy gain.

CraigP and Jethro Rocker like this.
  11. krudler

krudler Active Member

some folks tend to get their panties in a wad because, *horrors!*, its not ALL TUBE, it has, *more horror!*, OP AMPS in the preamp section!!!

most of these same folks then go rig up a series of pedals full of op amps in front of their "all tube" amp.

but hey, diff'rent strokes for different folks.

12. solarburnDSL50

No way! Peeps really boost the front of a Marshall but denigrate the amps built in OP amps?

Actually I'd like to hear some of these players tones just to see if they know anything about tone...

I mean I can say anything without a sample and some nitty wits may buy into my BS.

900's always get a bad wrap. Plexis show what yer made of though. Hard to hide with pride there.LOL

krudler likes this.
  13. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

What in the hell are you talking about?

I answered, in detail you question about the bias issue in a direct quote and then you come back and insult me?

You're right, I think you are wasting your time here.

fat_lenny and CraigP like this.
  14. Durden

Durden Well-Known Member

Boosted amps end up with a diode in circuit anyway in the form of a SD1 TS808 or similar, the 900 just has it built into channel B, channel A is all tube like a 800, even some 800s have a diode on board. No big deal that's all your adding when boosting a all tube circuit with a pedal. 900 is ready to go out of the box that's why they used a diode in channel B, it's just a 800 with a boost pedal up front from the factory.

dreyn77 and krudler like this.
  15. Open Lane

Open Lane Member

I think that the dsl's sound great fully saturated, i find the milder crunch settings on them pretty useless though. JMHO.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  16. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Thats good to know, what did you do to your DSL100H im planning to get that one next because i like the 15H so much.

Are you sure the A channel is all tube? Mine defaults to the B and i rarely use the A channel ive heard a few claim this and ive heard a few say they are both the same so whats the true story?

I have a 2500 and i dont care for it much, i would like to try and get it to sound better. Maybe using the A channel with a different type of boost pedal will pull some better tones out of it? The main thing is the balls, it has no balls till you get both the gain and preamp levels pretty high and then its so nasty i cant stand it.

17. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I changed some components to bring the 2 channels closer in gain and overall tone with the classic channel having slightly more gain and the lead channel having less gain than stock (was way too much for my taste). Anyone who has one will know that the EQ produces drastically different results on the 2 channels, so I altered some values to make them sound more balanced. I'd have to do some checking as to what I did specifically. After all that tinkering, the amp sounds much better and is more usable than stock, but still isn't my favorite by a long shot.

18. Oculophilia

Oculophilia Active Member

Bower, I don't want to take over the thread with 900 tips. So if you pm me I will offer what I had learned in my experience with the 900.

19. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

The shift button just replaces the multi input section. That's all it does. Instead of un plugging and plugging in, we just switch over to the other sound. we're not wasting our time anymore.

It's got nothing to do with a band.
    The band accepts you know what your doing.

Comparing amps at their extreme sound settings isn't gonna help you learn about why you own these things.
    To my way of thinking, the 900 does tones in the bass region, seriously well. Other amps don't do that sound.
    The DSL is using different DNA to produce sound which causes some bass tone to happen but also some warm mids sound at the same time.

20. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Well, other than if you want to cut through in a band situation, the tone shift makes that tough. It's a heavy mid scoop.

mk2 steve likes this.