Generator Help Ideas

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by chuckharmonjr, Dec 7, 2018.

1. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    Ok guys. I have a very serious question here. Backstory: My bands over the years have played alot of Mardi Gras Balls and parties...but this is the first year we have been hired to actually ride a float and play in a parade. That means a generator for electrical power. The idea absolutely horrifies me to think about. What are any ideas for safely plugging one of my Marshalls into what is an inherently transient rich and unstable voltage source?

2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

You will need a power regulator.
    Maybe even an isolation transformer.
    Check and see what Furman has to offer.

Also, if you are supplying the generator, use a name brand like Honda that is quiet and well-regulated.

3. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Just go with a Honda inverter generator!! They are quiet, efficient and have the cleanest power available. Safe for all PCs and Electronics. I have a 3K unit and have used it many times with my PA, PC and amps when the power has been out. They are the best of the best.

5. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

There actually is something that regulates (Regenerates) AC power, it's called
    [​IMG] Sola Hevi Duty
    [​IMG]

"Superior voltage regulation of ±1% sets the CVS Series power conditioner apart from other power conditioning technologies on the market. Extremely tight regulation is accomplished by Sola/Hevi-Duty’s patented ferroresonant transformer technology. The CVS Series power conditioner recreates a well regulated sinusoidal waveform that is well isolated from input disturbances including impulses, swells, sags, brownouts and severe waveform distortion..."

B.
    I mean Marshall Dog has a point. The Honda inverter generator is also a regulated system...

I'm thinking that a regular power conditioner does not fix the problems created by a generator.

6. MarshallDog

Why deal with all this shat when you can buy one quality inverter Honda generator and be done with....period!

7. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

I don't think @chuckharmonjr is wanting to buy/own a generator and it is quite probable that the power will be already provided by the venue? If that scenario is the case, my sincerest suggestion would be to scour the stores for a new, modern amp that comes close to your needs, and "buy" it for "29-ish" days from GC, SamAsh or similar. Yeah, I know it won't likely be your perfectly chosen sound, but nobody is likely to be critiquing your tone, as you "float" on by! Don't hesitate to embrace the benefits of GC and other vendors' generous return policies, even if you need to "abuse" them a bit, on occasion! This will keep your prized and loved Marshall safely away from generators!
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

8. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
  9. MarshallDog

Could always rent a Honda Inverter generator.