GEC KT66, what one to look for?

playloud

Reaction score
Im tempted to buy them just to hear for myself. just scared they could be fakes.

I'm fairly confident they aren't fakes (note similarity to these, for example). Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me could confirm?

I think the "as-is" thing justifies a fairly significant discount, though. Definitely get him to test them in his EL34 amp first if you go for them, and make him an offer.

StingRay85

Reaction score
Two days ago I've found a G.E.C KT66 locally, dusty, but measuring like new. Gotta admit it's a majestic looking tube, especially compared to EL34 which looks a bit boring in comparison

playloud

Reaction score
I confess curiosity got the better of me...

Here's a comparison clip (LUFS-normalized):

My Rangemaster clone is out of commission (halfway through transferring to a new chassis ;)) so I used the OCD for a slight treble-ish boost during the overdriven section.

Actual B+ at correct mains voltage was 509V/584V for low/high PT taps. I'm going to use a variac to lower to 560V with the GECs, just to be on the safe side...

I biased to 30mA at the low setting, and 26mA at the high setting (~60% max plate dissipation). The GECs matched to within 2mA!

_Steve

Reaction score
I confess curiosity got the better of me...

Here's a comparison clip (LUFS-normalized):

My Rangemaster clone is out of commission (halfway through transferring to a new chassis ;)) so I used the OCD for a slight treble-ish boost during the overdriven section.

Actual B+ at correct mains voltage was 509V/584V for low/high PT taps. I'm going to use a variac to lower to 560V with the GECs, just to be on the safe side...

I biased to 30mA at the low setting, and 26mA at the high setting (~60% max plate dissipation). The GECs matched to within 2mA!

so whats your verdict?

playloud

Reaction score
so whats your verdict?

Reminds me a bit of this scene, where wine=tubes and chocolate milk/coke=a cheaper amp/amp kit :D

Nah, in truth it's a great psychological hit. It was bothering me ever so slightly that I wasn't enjoying the amp to its full potential, and now I've put that firmly to rest. It's subtle, but there's a nice bit of action in the lower mids that I'm really enjoying. Plus, they look damn pretty! I'm hoping the much-vaunted longer lifetime of NOS tubes turns out to be accurate.

As another member said recently "it's an investment - not financial, but in tone" :)