Gear nuances...

giblesp

Reaction score
Afternoon all, just had a 3 hour play with my Les Paul and JVM, endorphins flowing and feeling good.

So, I tend to use my gear in a weird way. We've all got our tastes and maybe it comes down to that. However, I do question it!

Basically, my Les Paul Studio through my JVM is pretty much 'my sound.' My 2 strats sound ok, but I prefer the Les Paul. The strats sound too bright, too much treble and upper mids. The LP goes down to the lower mids nicely sounding really smooth on the ear with the gain around noon in the red and orange channel. Switch to treble, the riff has and edge to it. Back down to the mid position, cruising nicely on the mids.
Get good tones with the strats, but as I swap guitars during practice the Les Paul is what stays in my hands the longest by far.

But... the strats sound better through my Kemper. That opens up a whole discussion as there are many ways to tweak a Kemper, but basically the Les Paul has no bite through the Kemper, gets very mushy. I could do with more bite through the LP/Marshall, but its not an issue really. Really apparent through the Kemper however.

Now the strats through the Kemper sound great. Best recorded tone I've got in my 17 years of recording. You can probably understand my confusion! If the strats and LP produced similar results with both the Kemper and Marshall JVM, I'd just sell the strats and declare myself an LP man. But the guitars depend to prefer different gear, if that is at all possible.

Perhaps for me, its Les Paul and Marshall live and then Strat and Kemper for recording. Its a bit weird though!

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a Kemper, or do any recording (you're welcome).
But I find mixing 11 guitars and 9 amps can lead to countless tone possibilities.
Some work really well. :agreed:
Some not so much.:shrug:

Humbuckers through a Marshall are a favorite for sure.

giblesp

Reaction score
I don't have a Kemper, or do any recording (you're welcome).
But I find mixing 11 guitars and 9 amps can lead to countless tone possibilities.
Some work really well. :agreed:
Some not so much.:shrug:

Humbuckers through a Marshall are a favorite for sure.

Out of interest, do you have strats and if so what is your favorite amp to play through with them?

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of interest, do you have strats and if so what is your favorite amp to play through with them?
I do, but I'm a Strat noob - only had it for about a month.
Favorite amp / guitar is a hard term to quantify.
It depends on the tone I'm going for.
Different in each amp, and I like the difference, is the best answer I have.
I have 3 kids, and it way easier to pick a favorite one of them.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Just getting back into playing/hobby.
It'is difficult to choose something new... buying a different guitar and amp, or go with a sure thing. Comfort zone?
Lps have always been my thing-novice player or not, its what I learned on , any else seems lesser. Its the feel-weight-chunky low end bottom sound quality is like NO other guitar....pure chemistry. Your sound is your signature tone that make your ears feel good. For me picking up a different axe is scary, the scale's longer/shorter, neck feels weird,sound is way off from what Im used to. But once you get used to it,youre ok. But grabbing the ole standby is like coming home from a vacation, from sleeping in a hotel bed.
Going from a LP to Jackson was a huge learning curve for me, perhaps because Im not a gig-studio wicked musician? But I really want a SG sooo bad, but it doesnt feel nor sound like a LP at all. It feels like a PRS to me neckwise/soundwise. I really wish I could expand my horizons a bit, there are some wicked guitars out there that I would love to own, but I have a feeling that they would just sit there, while I played the same ole comfy slipper. Im always comparing the new to the old, thats not fair to the other great axes out there. Muscle memory?

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I am surely an LPS man BUT I can get great tones out of any of my amps with any of my guitars regardless if using my Strat, Tele or LPSs! Yes, the tone is different but with a tweak of the guitars eq knobs they all sound great!!

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I don't think it's weird. Both sound completely different so.....

I have an R7 Goldtop Les Paul and an AVRI 59 Stratocaster. Each makes me play different. I tend to use my Strat in a blues setup. Fuzz pedal...etc.

So many variables in gear and playing style to comment on those things but try tuning your Strat a half step down. Go with bigger strings. I use NYXL .105 to .50. I get a beefy tone this way.

giblesp

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, was playing through my Kemper last night with my strats then switched over to the Marshall.

So even though I'm saying that the Kemper sounds better for the strats, I keep mainly playing through the Marshall with all my guitars. Its the response, the details of each note/chord. The 'mojo,' whatever you want to call it. I've been playing mainly through digital gear since '04 up till last year, for low volume convenience. Never have I been so willing to just play and play, the Marhsall JVM has really pushed my playing.

Tempted to try out a BOSS tube expander or equivalent for recording, but have already tried an OX box with mini Marshall Jubilee and greatly preferred the Kemper for recording.

giblesp

Reaction score
One possible option would be to put some humbuckers in one of my strats. Always been fascinated with the pick ups in the Billy Corgan sig strat.