G'day from Australia!

gorn

Reaction score
My names Aaron, Im 48 years old
I live near the high country of Victoria Australia.
I mostly like classic thrash metal, but I also like classic Jimi and Pink Floyd type stuff too.
I've always compromised on amps in the past, as I just didn't have the commitment or the money for it.
Covid got me back into playing guitars again.
Initially I bought a shitty little Joyo Zombie head, and made my own 2x12 with Weber speakers in it.

I always wanted to like Marshalls, but I couldn't seem to find one with "that" sound from in my head
I was on course for something Mesa Boogie, or a 5150 type thing, even though they weren't the sound I was wanting either.

Fast forward to a sleepless night watching YT videos of amp demos'.
Guy says he's playing metal on a rack mount Marshall JMP-1 and matching tube power amp. Yeah right...
Actually, that sounds bloody good!

A week later, Im driving to Melbourne to pick up a mint condition JMP-1 from a fellow metal head, for $650 AU. They are normally double that.
So 8-hrs of driving, and I'm home. Now how about that power amp...

Looking for one almost made my hair fall out lol.
3 different deals fell through for various reasons. Could not find either a 50 watt or 100 watt el34 power amp in Oz at all.
Only the 5881 version, and these were averaging about $1350 AU.
Finally, last week I secured a deal for a Marshall 9200 Monoblock stereo power amp in good shape for $900.
Its being shipped from Sydney......on a wooden pallet, as its over 30 kgs or 99 lbs !
Should arrive tomorrow.

Thats Marshall number 1.....forums should be turned off after 8.30pm. Helps the wallet :D

The next one may seem crazy to you guys, but I have bought a non working Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet from Ebay, for $385 AU
It does turn on, but makes a horrible screechy distortion noise.
This one is shipping from about 4000 km away, from Perth in Western Australia.
A working Lead 100 will run you over $1300 AU here, if you can find one.
I'm just gonna give it to an amp tech and have it thoroughly tested and repaired.

That's Marshall number 2, and I haven't even played either one yet :D
You can see where this is heading right? Me oh my....

When finances allow, I'm going to hunt down a Marshall Lead 12 head and the 2 cabs.
I'm really shocked how good they sound in videos without IR's or post processing.
Ideally I want 2. 1 for me, and one for my Nephew. I want to steer him on the right path with good gear :)

Now a little bit of sacrilege . 3 other amps Im chasing. 1: Hiwatt Maxwatt 200 head. 2: Fender Bronco tweed combo 3: Gibson Lark combo.
I wouldn't say no to a Marshall JCM800 Kerry King either, but those are over 3k here if you can find one.

Besides all that, I'm into motorbikes (road and dirt) , anything radio controlled, archery, and my Toyota Hilux extra cab ute that Im restoring/modifying slowly.

Thanks for having me here. I'll try not be a pain in the bum asking questions :D :D :D

Aaron

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
If you're searching for vintage micro-stacks, keep the Lead15 (G15MS) on your radar also.
Single channel classic Marshall growl.
The MG versions are not as good, but might be ok for high gain metal tones.
Reverb usually has a few, although most sellers seem to think they are worth a fortune.
Shipping down under may make them even more crazy expensive.
Good luck on your amp search.

gorn

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
If you're searching for vintage micro-stacks, keep the Lead15 (G15MS) on your radar also.
Single channel classic Marshall growl.
The MG versions are not as good, but might be ok for high gain metal tones.
Reverb usually has a few, although most sellers seem to think they are worth a fortune.
Shipping down under may make them even more crazy expensive.
Good luck on your amp search.
Thank you :D
Is the Lead 15 from the same era?
The MG's don't sound very good to me. They just sound cheap and thin.
Might be alright to use the cabs from one, but put some decent speakers in them.
The only full stack Lead 12 on Reverb right now, is $1350 lol. I didn't even bother looking at shipping.
I'd be happy to just get the head, and make my own pair of 1x10's or 12's to suit.
Shouldn't cost much to ship a mini sized SS head I would think?

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you :D
Is the Lead 15 from the same era?
The MG's don't sound very good to me. They just sound cheap and thin.
Might be alright to use the cabs from one, but put some decent speakers in them.
The only full stack Lead 12 on Reverb right now, is $1350 lol. I didn't even bother looking at shipping.
I'd be happy to just get the head, and make my own pair of 1x10's or 12's to suit.
Shouldn't cost much to ship a mini sized SS head I would think?
My Lead15 is from '99.
They were kinda in between, sort of a precursor to the MG line.
I also have the MG15HCFX, it's a 4 channel (clean, crunch, OD1 & OD2).
Some MG's are 2 channel with clean / OD.
Both have seriously benefitted from speaker upgrades.
10" greenbacks in the Lead15 & VTjr's in the MG.
I have also made my own micro cabs and mounted my CODE25 in them.
SSers.jpg

gorn

Reaction score
Love your collection.
They look so cute....until they rip your face off lol :D

How would you compare the MG of yours to the 15 now that you have upgraded the speakers?

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love your collection.
They look so cute....until they rip your face off lol :D

How would you compare the MG of yours to the 15 now that you have upgraded the speakers?
Thanks,
I like the MG for what it is.
You can set each channel with presets for the effects, TMB, and channel volume.
The 4 button MG footswitch make the little bugger fairly versatile.
Gets great high gain, good cleans and in between - for a little 15w.
Given a choice, Lead15 any day, but it was my 1st Marshall, so there's some sentimental attachment there....

tubes

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My names Aaron, Im 48 years old
I live near the high country of Victoria Australia.
I mostly like classic thrash metal, but I also like classic Jimi and Pink Floyd type stuff too.
I've always compromised on amps in the past, as I just didn't have the commitment or the money for it.
Covid got me back into playing guitars again.
Initially I bought a shitty little Joyo Zombie head, and made my own 2x12 with Weber speakers in it.

I always wanted to like Marshalls, but I couldn't seem to find one with "that" sound from in my head
I was on course for something Mesa Boogie, or a 5150 type thing, even though they weren't the sound I was wanting either.

Fast forward to a sleepless night watching YT videos of amp demos'.
Guy says he's playing metal on a rack mount Marshall JMP-1 and matching tube power amp. Yeah right...
Actually, that sounds bloody good!

A week later, Im driving to Melbourne to pick up a mint condition JMP-1 from a fellow metal head, for $650 AU. They are normally double that.
So 8-hrs of driving, and I'm home. Now how about that power amp...

Looking for one almost made my hair fall out lol.
3 different deals fell through for various reasons. Could not find either a 50 watt or 100 watt el34 power amp in Oz at all.
Only the 5881 version, and these were averaging about $1350 AU.
Finally, last week I secured a deal for a Marshall 9200 Monoblock stereo power amp in good shape for $900.
Its being shipped from Sydney......on a wooden pallet, as its over 30 kgs or 99 lbs !
Should arrive tomorrow.

Thats Marshall number 1.....forums should be turned off after 8.30pm. Helps the wallet :D

The next one may seem crazy to you guys, but I have bought a non working Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet from Ebay, for $385 AU
It does turn on, but makes a horrible screechy distortion noise.
This one is shipping from about 4000 km away, from Perth in Western Australia.
A working Lead 100 will run you over $1300 AU here, if you can find one.
I'm just gonna give it to an amp tech and have it thoroughly tested and repaired.

That's Marshall number 2, and I haven't even played either one yet :D
You can see where this is heading right? Me oh my....

When finances allow, I'm going to hunt down a Marshall Lead 12 head and the 2 cabs.
I'm really shocked how good they sound in videos without IR's or post processing.
Ideally I want 2. 1 for me, and one for my Nephew. I want to steer him on the right path with good gear :)

Now a little bit of sacrilege . 3 other amps Im chasing. 1: Hiwatt Maxwatt 200 head. 2: Fender Bronco tweed combo 3: Gibson Lark combo.
I wouldn't say no to a Marshall JCM800 Kerry King either, but those are over 3k here if you can find one.

Besides all that, I'm into motorbikes (road and dirt) , anything radio controlled, archery, and my Toyota Hilux extra cab ute that Im restoring/modifying slowly.

Thanks for having me here. I'll try not be a pain in the bum asking questions :D :D :D

Aaron
Welcome gorn.
Mosfet is not really sacrilege among Marshall lovers.
I played one for years until somebody begged me to sell it to them.

RobS

Reaction score
Welcome Gorn

fellow Victorian here that spends alot of time in the High Country 4wding, camping, fishing, dirtbike riding & have an old landcruiser !

Marshalls in Aus are pricey unfortunately but one will come your way. Chech the cash converter website too, sometimes they get the odd Marshall in

rob

Last edited:

Latest posts