GC trade or sell.

ampeq

Reaction score
The "mom and pop" music store around here just sell clarinets and piano lessons, they don't do electric guitars and tube amps.
Back when I was a teenager, there was half a dozen guitar shops around.
Then GC put in a store at the malls on either side of the city.
Options are limited.
I have nothing either, but if needed new strings to play a once in a lifetime show at the Roxy I would buy a roll of fishing line from Walmart and string it up before going in GC. They make a living porking new players, at least up here anyway. None of the equipment they have is worth owning, and their price’s suck. The ONLY good thing about the store here is they are about ready to fold. And, as chromeboy said, the people that work there are usually touchholes. It may even be on the form to be filled out,

“are you a brain dead halfwit in a piss poor 3 piece band”

“do you know less about music equipment than the Old Navy store next door”

“can you show up late every other day because you have no car and then take it out on our customers “

“will you crank wide open the Crate amp we can’t sell and the out of tune Silvertone guitar with broken tuning peg to play Smoke on the Water 6-8 times a day”

If you answered yes to any of these questions we want you to be the face of our place. No need to learn the names of our customers, they only come here once.

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with most all on this, GC sucks, I don't usually deal with them period. they can be dicks, but it's not personality, it's experience, most are young kids whom follow protocol based on employers expectations. I get much better service with Sweetwater. that being said some products just don't hold resale value at all.
this quoted from other sources.

"What guitars do you think have poor resale value?
The big three that I've noticed that don't seem to sell well are: Carvin, G&L, and Schecter.
They're all high quality guitars, but just don't sell well. While guitars by Fender and Gibson seem to retain 75-80% of the new value, you'd be lucky to get 60% on the above brands. I often see Carvin and G&L's selling for half their new value, and Schecters just plain don't sell." most of this statement is broad and not specific to GC but don't think they don't pay attention to it.

G&L has a very steep depreciation factor for some reason. our bass player, that is his absolute preferred weapon, but he knows, its hard to get from it what he put into it.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
I agree with most all on this, GC sucks, I don't usually deal with them period. they can be dicks, but it's not personality, it's experience, most are young kids whom follow protocol based on employers expectations. I get much better service with Sweetwater. that being said some products just don't hold resale value at all.
this quoted from other sources.

"What guitars do you think have poor resale value?
The big three that I've noticed that don't seem to sell well are: Carvin, G&L, and Schecter.
They're all high quality guitars, but just don't sell well. While guitars by Fender and Gibson seem to retain 75-80% of the new value, you'd be lucky to get 60% on the above brands. I often see Carvin and G&L's selling for half their new value, and Schecters just plain don't sell." most of this statement is broad and not specific to GC but don't think they don't pay attention to it.

G&L has a very steep depreciation factor for some reason. our bass player, that is his absolute preferred weapon, but he knows, its hard to get from it what he put into it.

Prs also have a surprisingly low resale imo

axe4me

Reaction score
GC is not a great trading partner unless they give more than what you paid.

They also are not very forthright.

About 3 weeks ago, I was told that a backordered Epiphone case would take a week to 10 days.

I said OK and used my $30.00 GC gift card as part of the deal.

About a week later, I checked the status and was told the case would be shipped in Feb. 2022.

I said, "no way am I going to do this"...............I was told that they'd call back on my cell.

About 90 minutes later, they called my home and told me. it'll be shipped to them on Oct. 23, 2021.

I told GC to cancel my order and I want my $30.00 back.

I was told that they can't do it but the manager would OK my $30.00 GC card if I spend the $30.00 in that GC store.

They didn't give me proof and I insisted on something in writing.

They gave me the managers business card and no receipt.

I insisted on better proof.............a worker wrote on the back of the card for a re-embursement.

The next day I presented the business card for a few sets of strings.

They didn't remember:eek:.

I made a scene and they gave me the strings.

This week, I did a trade of my Dobro with the Cherry Hill, NJ GC.

They said that they'd sell the Dobro for $399.00 and would not consider the 1995 Dobro as vintage.

Yesterday, they sold the Dobro at $599.00 and said it was "vintage".

More BS.

I originally paid $500.00 for the Dobro and really didn't care as long as I made a profit.

These guys are full of sh$t.

Earlier this month, GC told me that the inverness green Epiphone Traditional Pro ES 335 won't be in till mid Oct.

Last week I saw at 3 GC's an inverness green Epiphone Traditional Pro ES 335.

GC is BS.

Take what they say with a grain of salt.

Do business with them if it's in your best interest.

Don't trust GC.

Wezie Guitar lover

Reaction score
The Guitar Center bashing get's old guys. Most of my used gear comes from them. They resting my guitars. I do not restring trapeze tail pieces, Floyds, and other weird trem systems. The soldered a guitar for me. They just restrung my Italia. The tech was so nice. He loved my guitar. And played it. I got some great deals from them. My new used guitar come from them. They have done me nothing but good.

And I do not want them to go under. I do not buy online. And mom and pop stores have nothing really in my home town. So some try the guitars out there then order online someplace else. So if I can not test it out the most guitars are not for me. They shipped a amplifier to my house. Not one problem. I got a really expensive guitar from them under 500 dollars. Used.

If I do not like the gear 40 day returns. And I have gear shipped to my local Guitar Center. Only thing is if they are working with some one you wait for them to get to you. Guitar players will say help me. Forget about the other ___ in here. I'm almost ticked off. Now I'm leaving and never coming back. I hate this place. As Daisy said in Driving Miss Daisy. Good. Go away.

So the Guitar Center bashing needs to stop. They are great if you understand and know how to use their services. The tell you upfront what you will get in trades. And are honest. It is also info on the site. A few workers might not need to be in retail though.

Last edited:

Wildeman

Reaction score
GC is lame to try to sell or trade too, i can recall a time i took a real '57 Danelectro U2 in there and after they took it in back and jerked me around for like an hour they came at me with a $150.00 offer, what a rip off, they gave me some crap about how much new ones cost, it was clearly a vintage guitar in its original tweed coffin case that was worth around 1k at that time and they knew it.
[email protected] 'em, that was the last time i ever tried to deal with them. I do my trading at Music go Round, theres two around here and they're pretty straight up, they get some real cool stuff too.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
The Guitar Center bashing get's old guys. Most of my used gear comes from them. They resting my guitars. I do not restring trapeze tail pieces, Floyds, and other weird trem systems. The soldered a guitar for me. They just restrung my Italia. The tech was so nice. He loved my guitar. And played it. I got some great deals from them. My new used guitar come from them. They have done me nothing but good.

And I do not want them to go under. I do not buy online. And mom and pop stores have nothing really in my home town. So some try the guitars out there then order online someplace else. So if I can not test it out the most guitars are not for me. They shipped a amplifier to my house. Not one problem. I get a really expensive guitar from them under 500 dollars. Used.

If I do not like the gear 40 day returns. And I have gear shipped to my local Guitar Center. Only thing is if they are working with some one you wait for them to get to you. Guitar players will say help me. Forget about the other ___ in here. I'm almost ticked off. Now I'm leaving and never coming back. I hate this place. As Daisy said in Driving Miss Daisy. Good. Go away.

So the Guitar Center bashing needs to stop. They are great if you understand and know how to use their services. The tell you upfront what you will get in trades. And are honest. It is also info on the site. A few workers might not need to be in retail though.

finally. :applause:
in a lot of cases, its the same folks over and over having issues and complaining about GC.
not every case but a lot of them. ya start to wonder if its GC or the customer?
i hate the 40 day return too. its stupid in my opinion and really is only hurtiing their business and not helping. it was when they started this that the quality of their staff started to drop and they took away the comissions to the sells staff.
this has cost them to not be able to afford quality employees as they cant afford to pay any. so now they employee a lot of bottom feeders and hope that there are a couple good folks in the batches that they hire.
back in the day, we got 3 day. that was it.

Last edited:

axe4me

Reaction score
GC has it's place.

Many times GC, if not all the time, gets gear on the cheap.

OK if you want to get rid of that albatross.

Most of the time, you're getting boned.

Know this going in.

woodsrock

Reaction score
Well I was looking to trade my Schecter PT. Took it to my local GC and what a waste that was. My PT is in New condition and was a little over $600 but they only offered me $203!. I told the guy that's less than half of what I paid for it. The f-ing a-hole said the offer stands til the end of the day then turned his back to me and walked away. It took everything I had not to deck his punk ass.
Where does GC get these guys from? I mean the guy could have said something like, yeah I know it sucks but it's what the store will give you for it, you know, store policy. The fact that the guy was an ass is what ticked me off. Now I will only do business with them online and not at the store. Most those guys don't know their ass from a hole in the ground anyway. I think they hire long hair rocker looking guys with tats but who really don't know sh#*t about music gear.
The acted like I was some punk kid. BTW, I'm covered in tats. I guess they figure no one will do anything if they are rude.

Sorry guys, just needed to rant a bit. Hope everyone is having a good day.
Always sell it yourself, it's not that they are dicks, it's what they have to do when they look it up they give you half of what it is worth. Ant music store will do the same thing.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Over here in uk I’ve emailed Andertons a few times to ask trade value of some guitars. They always tell me the price they will pay and what they would sell it for. And usually I’ve been told I’d be best selling it privately as I could achieve a lot more. Very honest and tell you the truth. Couldn’t ask more really.
That’s the kinda service that would get a trade even if was a bit lower as they value your custom.

KidBlast

Reaction score
You know what I go into guitar center for? nothing. I don't go to those stores, period. used to, not any more.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Well I was looking to trade my Schecter PT. Took it to my local GC and what a waste that was. My PT is in New condition and was a little over $600 but they only offered me $203!. I told the guy that's less than half of what I paid for it. The f-ing a-hole said the offer stands til the end of the day then turned his back to me and walked away. It took everything I had not to deck his punk ass.
Where does GC get these guys from? I mean the guy could have said something like, yeah I know it sucks but it's what the store will give you for it, you know, store policy. The fact that the guy was an ass is what ticked me off. Now I will only do business with them online and not at the store. Most those guys don't know their ass from a hole in the ground anyway. I think they hire long hair rocker looking guys with tats but who really don't know sh#*t about music gear.
The acted like I was some punk kid. BTW, I'm covered in tats. I guess they figure no one will do anything if they are rude.

Sorry guys, just needed to rant a bit. Hope everyone is having a good day.
There was a time when GC would give roughly half of the value of used gear. These days, they're slipping further and further into pawn shop territory.

Latest posts