GC trade or sell.

chromeboy

Reaction score
Well I was looking to trade my Schecter PT. Took it to my local GC and what a waste that was. My PT is in New condition and was a little over $600 but they only offered me $203!. I told the guy that's less than half of what I paid for it. The f-ing a-hole said the offer stands til the end of the day then turned his back to me and walked away. It took everything I had not to deck his punk ass.
Where does GC get these guys from? I mean the guy could have said something like, yeah I know it sucks but it's what the store will give you for it, you know, store policy. The fact that the guy was an ass is what ticked me off. Now I will only do business with them online and not at the store. Most those guys don't know their ass from a hole in the ground anyway. I think they hire long hair rocker looking guys with tats but who really don't know sh#*t about music gear.
The acted like I was some punk kid. BTW, I'm covered in tats. I guess they figure no one will do anything if they are rude.

Sorry guys, just needed to rant a bit. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I was looking to trade my Schecter PT. Took it to my local GC and what a waste that was. My PT is in New condition and was a little over $600 but they only offered me $203!. I told the guy that's less than half of what I paid for it. The f-ing a-hole said the offer stands til the end of the day then turned his back to me and walked away. It took everything I had not to deck his punk ass.
Where does GC get these guys from? I mean the guy could have said something like, yeah I know it sucks but it's what the store will give you for it, you know, store policy. The fact that the guy was an ass is what ticked me off. Now I will only do business with them online and not at the store. Most those guys don't know their ass from a hole in the ground anyway. I think they hire long hair rocker looking guys with tats but who really don't know sh#*t about music gear.
The acted like I was some punk kid. BTW, I'm covered in tats. I guess they figure no one will do anything if they are rude.

I know that scenario well, I took a g400 that was stock with EMG’s in white, with the OHC, I was offered $60.00 I walked out put it on CL and sold it 2 days later for $ 250.00 ..
Cheers
Mitch

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't blame the employees too much, although they may well be douch bags.
They are just doing what the computer tells them.
Grading fair/good/great is their main input.
The system tells them their resell price and the trade value.
I just traded 2 Boss multi-effects boards yesterday at my local GC.
The dudes there are pretty cool, they showed me their grade and why, and what the system said.
I may have got a few bucks more if I listed and waited for reverb, etc., minus fees and plus shipping and payment hassles.
One of the big things for me is the 10% off new with trade - with that it's close to a wash and fairly hassle free.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score

I don't understand why if you are so angry you would still do online business with them. Sweetwater has what you want.

Old Punker

Reaction score

Yeah, that employee sounds like a real asshole! I would definitely take that store off of my list.

I've had much better luck with reasonable trade in allowances at mom and pop shops, especially if I bought the original gear there. Years ago I brought a SS amp back after owning it for maybe 1 1/2 years to trade in toward a (higher priced) tube amp. The guy offered me almost what I originally paid for it. I was shocked. :wow:

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you paid $600 for it new it is worth 75% of that tops unless it is a hard to come by item so your guitar is worth $400-450. Retail works off of a keystone/100% markup so you shouldn’t expect to get any more than $200-225.

GC is going to offer you half of what they can sell it for—what exactly were you expecting? Want more, sell it yourself.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
GC's buy offers are based on the notion that everybody is a crackhead in need of a fix.

If you take their offer...you might be.

Just sell on your local CL or sell it at the local mom and pop music store on consignment. You'll get a much better deal.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
sell it at the local mom and pop music store
The "mom and pop" music store around here just sell clarinets and piano lessons, they don't do electric guitars and tube amps.
Back when I was a teenager, there was half a dozen guitar shops around.
Then GC put in a store at the malls on either side of the city.
Options are limited.

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score

That's about right, that's how it works and everyone who doesn't know thinks they're getting ripped off.

You buy a new guitar for $600.
It loses 20-25% the minute you walk out of the store with it.
You put a few miles on it, now it's lost at least 1/3rd what you paid new, so now it's worth $400.

You take it to the store to trade it in on another guitar.
They size it up and determine they can get about $400 for it (+/- depending on condition and salability).
Stores need to make 100% return on everything they sell, so they give you $200.
The other option is for YOU to sell it for the $400 figure.

junk notes

Reaction score
Was the guitar that was $600 bought from the same store/business/corporate company? Then rethink that figure, you lost more than that, as well as much as they have gained in profit..

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
You can use eBay as a guide. Search sold listings for your piece of gear, take half of that and add 10% back. That’s how it used to work anyway. The only time I trade stuff there is when they do that 15% off with trade in deal. I always take like a $30 pedal to trade. They don’t care.

There’s no excuse for a rude employee though. Go to the GC website and find their customer support email address and describe in great detail what an asshole their employee was. Names help. I was treated like some hick that came to the Big City one time at the Thompson’s Station store in Nashville. I had a few items to trade and was doing fine with a sales rep, then this assistant manager asshole comes along to make sure that the sales rep did the trade right. I swear I was in that store for over 2 hours on a simple trade, and this dick with ears tells me he’s taking $30 off their trade in offer.

I went home and described this humiliating and tedious incident in great detail. I got a call from the store manager within a day or two. He was like “that’s just the way he is”, which is a pretty sad excuse. So he asked what he could do to make it right. I ended up getting a sweet SG that I had my eye on the day I was at the store. He let me have it for half off. So by all means, let them know about this dude. Sometimes it pays to be a bitch :fever:

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's about right, that's how it works and everyone who doesn't know thinks they're getting ripped off.

You buy a new guitar for $600.
It loses 20-25% the minute you walk out of the store with it.
You put a few miles on it, now it's lost at least 1/3rd what you paid new, so now it's worth $400.

You take it to the store to trade it in on another guitar.
They size it up and determine they can get about $400 for it (+/- depending on condition and salability).
Stores need to make 100% return on everything they sell, so they give you $200.
The other option is for YOU to sell it for the $400 figure.

But...they were MEAN!

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get they need to make money but my last trip to GC i was mocked by the sales guy which resulted in my walking out without buying. I was buying a $99 Marshall little amp for my stepdaughter and they wanted me to buy a $99 service agreement to which i politely replied that i didn't need it because i have a CET.
The sales guy says to the other guy condecendingly " Oh, he dosn't need it he can fix it himself" to which i replied " Yes that's true. Do you know that i am the guy who's been fixing all the 6100 midi boards since Marshall stopped supplying the eproms. Fuck you." and i walked out. Never been back.

Even over the phone my sales guy at Sweetwater is always cool to me.

pedecamp

Reaction score

I know you dont want to stoop to their level but you would have felt alot better if you told him to fukk off when he turned and walked. :yesway:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score

Yes , word of caution. Never ever trade gear to GC . They offer 40 percent of the value determined by eBay. No secret.

Latest posts