>

GC Marshall price increase

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Doug63, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Denis St Guinefort

Denis St Guinefort New Member

Same thing happened with the 5W Origin combo. It's now $100 less. I wonder if it has to do with exchange rates and/or decline in sales as far as Canada is concerned?

2. Rooster-p

Rooster-p Member

Yeah I went through the same thing with Friedman. I was going to buy another 112 speaker cabinet for my pink taco and they went up to $649. I thought $599 was ridiculous for a 112 cab. Jeez, I know damn good and well he gets the speakers at a discount because he buys bulk. Probably pays $125 for the speaker and you pay $525 for the box. That's friggin ridiculous, he can keep it. I'll buy the Marshall for $349 and put the uk made greenback that's sitting in my closet in it and be done with it. Try to tell me that the wood makes a difference in anything but weight and that's total bullshit. People should be a little less greedy.

scozz and Sneaks like this.
  3. Rooster-p

Rooster-p Member

Yep, Dave's getting greedy. All his stuff is going up and it's already outrageous. I used to like Dave.

4. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

The way I see it if his stuff weren’t worth the money you wouldn’t be upset that you can’t afford it.

5. Rooster-p

Rooster-p Member

It's a friggin speaker in a box dude. I used to build custom furniture, I know what it consists of. It's pretty hard to justify a $300 difference in price except for the wood and the speaker. Wood is wood as far as speaker boxes go as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't have to be exotic wood. There might be a $50 difference in the price of the speaker. This is my opinion, everyone is entitled to that. I have a $349 Marshall cab with a creamback in it and I have a $599 Friedman cab with a creamback speaker in it and quess what, they sound exactly the same, one just weighs a little more. Oh and by the way, I own a Friedman pt20 with the Friedman 112 cab so evidently I can afford it but that doesn't make it right. J.S.

ColdEye likes this.
  6. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Well-Known Member

Looks like the DSL 100HR went from $799 to $949. I can't remember what I paid when it first came out. Is that right?

LPMarshall hack likes this.
  7. jgab

jgab Well-Known Member

Actually the price of wood has really shot up as well. For example, the price of an eight foot 2x4 has doubled or more in the past year. Basically all building materials for anything are up.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. nkd

nkd Member

The cause of increased prices - exchange rates and inflation.

9. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The 2203x is built like a tank, simple yet effective and will still be pumping out sound long after i am dead and gone. I know, i have one. Why the price point? Top of the line Marshall that's why. One can either buy it or whine about it or find a better cheaper alternative.

tallcoolone likes this.
  10. dna9656

dna9656 Active Member

Prices started going up on everything in the US on Inauguration Day 2021.

11. abkeller1

abkeller1 Active Member

Wood does make a difference in tone, I've done too many experiments over the past 40 years. Birch Plywood is the best. but the prices are greedy for sure.

NotSure likes this.
  12. Norfolk Martin

Norfolk Martin Member

That amp is made in the UK, Vietnam or China . the US minimum wage applies in none of those countries.

13. abkeller1

abkeller1 Active Member

You're not correct my friend. I've owned MDF & Plywood cabinets of the same model, there's definitly a difference. Also how big the cabinet is. My Marshall 1936 & 2536 cabinets are oversized. it moves air, it's also birch plywood, I've had the MDF 1936 before and compared. Also what type amp your using. How loud your playing, how you set your EQ's on the amp, etc, there are so many senerios. Building furniture doesn't qualify you as a speaker builder. Your furniture isn't putting out sound with quailty tone?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  14. abkeller1

abkeller1 Active Member

Really, bringing politics into this conversation? Dude, get a life.

15. abkeller1

abkeller1 Active Member

Very true.

16. NotSure

NotSure Member

This quote sums up everything I've been lamenting over the last year. Thank you!
    I agree with you 110%. I dropped my Origin 20 amp chassis into a very nice Retro King "Billy Gibbons" 2x12 real wood cabinet. The difference in tone is staggering. Retro King makes some very, very nice Marshall-style cabinets of high-quality materials and high craftsmanship. Even the back panels are threaded with metal grommets, instead of wood screws going directly into the wood. That type of attention to detail gets high marks in my book. There is no comparison to the "manufactured wood" material Marshall uses on the Origin amps. MDF creates cabinets that are way too focused. All the sound projects when you're right in line with the speaker, and the sound drops off a ton when you're off-center. Real wood open back cabinets have a 3D quality to them that creates a touch of natural reverb and they just sound big and rich.

17. tallcoolone

But wood ISN’T wood as far as speaker boxes are concerned. IME anyway. MDF is great for certain speaker applications but not in others—like guitar cabs.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion but not your own conclusions

Nice things cost more. As you have proven, there are options out there is you aren’t in a situation to spend a premium.

18. tallcoolone

It’s a big part of the OPs question

19. Mike Corey

Mike Corey New Member

Everything is going up in price. It's not just G.C. Supply and demand. The manufacturers are paying more for parts and material. Wood is up close to 50%. Chips and other electronic parts are scarce and have gone up. The supply chain was interrupted and it takes a long time to build inventory back up.

FogDweller and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. Mike Corey

Mike Corey New Member

Prices on Reverb are ridiulous. May as well buy new than to pay for a used piece that you have no idea what it's been through.

El Gringo, Mitchell Pearrow and GregM like this.