Gave My Notice Today

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
I work with a pretty tight group. Most of us (other than the new kid, who is now our boss) have been working together for at least 20 years. It was a little hard telling them that I will be retiring in mid-January. But it is time for me to go.

There were four of us who were within a year of age, and I was the youngest of the four. The oldest got furloughed in June 2020 when business took a big nose-dive. Eventually they terminated him.

The next oldest was my immediate supervisor. He was the lab manager and a friend. He was a workaholic and I never thought he would quit, but he suddenly felt his mortality and decided to leave in summer 2020. He didn't want to work his life away after all.

The next was his immediate supervisor, a company VP and a friend who rolled up his sleeves and didn't mind getting dirty with the rest of us lab rats. He left in July of this year.

I had a little trouble gathering everyone today. A couple of them didn't come in until after lunch, and then we had a false fire alarm and everyone came back in except one guy who has a hard time walking. Finally everyone was inside and wouldn't you know, one of them was on the phone. I eventually got everybody together and gave them the news. I was surprised that they were surprised, and very touched by their reactions.

Last edited:

GregM

Reaction score
Everytime I hear retirement I'm reminded of Keeping up appearances, when Richard announces his retirement and someone mentions all the time he will get to spend with his wife. His face drops and everytime thereafter you see him at work, he has this look of dread on his face lol.
I'm sure nothing like your case, but best of luck and enjoy!

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
Congratulations . So what is the plans
Thanks. I plan to play more guitar, get plenty of exercise and do a lot of work around the house that I have never had time for. I may get back into painting and drawing. I already travel a fair amount, so I doubt I will increase that activity but I will continue it.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Congratulations!
Life's too short. I'll be joing you in 3 years. I'm on track to retire at 57. I'll be trading engineering dispositions and requirements for my Zero Turn and some grass. Make extra money on my terms. And, like you, I want to play more guitar. Put a group together with like minded individuals. Relive my youth.

don550

Reaction score
Congrats on your retirement. Enjoy playing more guitar and enjoy more time with your family and friends.. As Rick pointed out.. Get you them over to the house and just sit down and visit and shoot the Sh-t.. I just spent time with your long term family and friends the other day and it was good to just visit and I had been so busy band stuff that I forgot that I had some non musician friends and family that are just awesome people and we sat and just visited and was just totally awesome to have some heartfelt time with them.