>

G12M-65 Creamback

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Blindsman1, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Blindsman1

Blindsman1 New Member

Has anyone replaced the stock speakers in the smaller MG Series cabinet with Celestion Creambacks or comparable speakers?

2. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Um, what smaller MG cab is the smaller one?
    MG10C?

3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I put G10 Greenbacks in both cabinets of an MG15 Microstack. Sounds fantastic. I'd expect G10 Creambacks to be equally as good, and a little brighter with more bottom end as well.

Those G10s are both SO good that I would not bother to modify the cabinet to take a 12 inch speaker.

4. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Are you asking about the "little" MG 4x12?
    Speaker choice may depend on the little amp your using on that little cab.
    If it's an MG head, I'm not sure if I'd drop 6 Franklins on a new set of creambacks.

5. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Oh, the MG412. I had one for a little while.

Not impressed. I see no reason for the existence of a sub-sized all particle board 4x12 cabinet that doesn't even give you enough weight savings over a 1960A or B cabinet to make it worthwhile to get it.

I just don't see a cost/benefit solution that favors the MG412 unless you are simply stuck with a very low budget and can tolerate the sound of the stock speaker.

The reduction in size is trivial. The weight reduction is also trivial. The tonal consequences of having an all particle board/MDF cabinet that's undersized for 4 12s are NOT trivial and do NOT favor the MG cabinet.

Get a 1960A or B or, if you're really on a tight budget, try to find Hartke GH412 cabinets. They're made almost exactly like a 1960A/B, with plywood construction and they're on spec as far as dimensions are concerned. You can find them for a hundred bucks or so with a little bit of luck and searching. They're the best "poor man's 1960" cabinets to be found.

Put the Creambacks or Greenbacks in THAT cabinet, and upgrade to a real Marshall cabinet when you can. Then swap the speakers over depending on what's in the 1960.