G12CV sounding muffled with marshall amps, anybody else?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Filipe Soares, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

I´ve been trying to match the G12 Century Vintage with the 2203KK and my major, but it sounds very funky. really weird! It sounds totally muffled, like there was a pillow in front of the amp.

I´ve tried different eq settings, but nothing seems to work. with the 5150III it sounds amazing, with the engl... kind of weird too.

Also, with 1x12s the sound is amazing.

2. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Yes it is a good and light speaker.
    I find the lower level higher frequency presence is why I do not own any Neodymium. I do not like to loose any of the frequency response and try to get the widest most powerful range from my guitar speakers.
    I like AlNiCo best.

I think Neo suits those looking for less upper brilliance and power.

Did I say it is very light?

tce63 likes this.
  3. Filipe Soares

Marshall amps by nature are very bright, I thought these speakers would be the perfect match, but instead they're the perfect match for the 5150III.

the sound with the evh is superb, but very muffled with both the major and the 2203kk.

I think I'll swap the speakers between the two cabs and see how it will sound like.

CoyotesGator and tce63 like this.
  4. mickeydg5

I believe the 5150III is designed for more brightness capability than those mentioned Marshalls.

tce63 likes this.
  5. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you think the G12CV sounds muffled.
    Mine is anything but muffled.

6. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

I'm with SkyMonkey here, my CV is anything but muffled. It actually has a sharp bite which is what I like about this speaker. What speaker(s) are you comparing it to Filipe Soares? The CV Mids are fairly strong, maybe this is what you are trying to convey? The CV is a Vintage 30 with a neo magnet. It has a bit less Mids than the V30 but a tad more high end frequency extension like the creambacks.

7. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

This is interesting, I would consider the CV to have more upper frequency than its counter part or the average Celestion for that matter. Celestion's on axis graphs also agree with this. Maybe we're simply confusing the old discontinued G12 Century? This ones sucked big time IMO. Something is a miss here for sure. My experiences/comments are with the current in production 16 ohm Century Vintage (Vintage 30 -Neo)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  8. SkyMonkey

I've had this conversation with @Filipe Soares before. He definitely has the newer Century Vintage speakers.

The older ones were supposed to be quite harsh.

Though I have never used V30s, I am lead to believe the G12CV sits somewhere between the V30 and V-Type tonally.

9. SkyMonkey

BTW Are G12CV still in production?
    Only one retailer in the UK still stocks them, and I have read on other sites and adverts that they are discontinued too.
    Maybe in favour of the Neo Creamback?

10. mickeydg5

The 80W Century was 102dB versus the newer 60W at 98dB.

This seems to have been made circa 2012. I do not know when they transitioned to the newer version of Century.

JBA likes this.
  11. Filipe Soares

I´m out of mexico right now, visiting my family in Brazil. When I return I´ll swap these speakers with the G12H anniversary, so they´ll be used with the 5150.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  12. Filipe Soares

mine are 60w.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  13. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

Is yours an 8 ohm or 16 ohm? Some models can have more of a sonic difference between 8 and 16 ohm options than manufactures would like you to believe ;-) For example, a current 8 ohm Vintage 30 sounds (and frequency plot measures) almost identically to a 16 ohm Creamback 75. It is very hard to tell them apart when a/b'ed side by side if not not for a small upper frequency extension on the creamback. Most my friends can't pick out the difference yet they can all pick out the difference between my 8 ohm and 16 ohm Vintage 30: these sound similar but not the same. What output transformer tap you plug into also plays a role here but I don't want to get into that.

14. Filipe Soares

they´re 8ohms, wired in series, tapped to 16ohm. I thought about wiring it at 4ohms and use a different tap, but I have no idea if it´s going to sound better.

15. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Is everything on the right ohm setting. Check for a weak connection

16. mickeydg5

Its the Neo. They all do that.
    My :2c: is they, their designs, are not all that high frequency friendly.

17. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

I reposted your statement as my own in a Hifi forum for shits and giggles.. My name is currently being dragged through the the dirt. ;-) Apperently neo's posses the duality of light in the forum ether. :coffee:

CoyotesGator and SkyMonkey like this.
  18. mickeydg5

Why would you do that to yourself? :)

Their universe is different than this one, similar but different enough.

Hi-Fi have dedicated systems for various frequency ranges.

Musical instruments as guitar usually depend on a full range speaker. That is why I like speakers that reach for the high notes best.
    My opinion and ear experience is that neodymium is not the best for a fullrange guitar speaker.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  19. mickeydg5

I was going to tell @Filipe Soares if he wants to use Neo guitar speakers then add one of them Neo compression drivers for higher frequencies but us Geetar People really do not do that to our cabinets. :D

20. JBA

JBA Well-Known Member

You have somehow managed to come to an inaccurate belief about Neo speakers. Being such a well established poster you owe it to readers to be more cautious/thorough with your opinions as all the comments you have made about neo's are not factual and will certainly confuse many folks. Neo magnet speakers can be designed to have more OR less upper frequency extension than their counterparts when using the same cone, suspension, spider, and coil. As a matter of fact it is easier to achieve a higher frequency extension due to the increased flux density of a neo. The really interesting thing is we were originally talking about the CV here which have almost 10db more sensitivity at 6khz than the Vintage 30: the CV is a Vintage 30 with a neo magnet and it most certainly has a fuller spectrum. ;-) Celestion's site supports this, my measurements support this and l certainly hear this increased range. Not trying to rag on you brother but it's really hard for the community to move forward with some of the opinions you have posted here as you are certainly much more influential than me on this forum. Maybe you compared these in two different cabs? Not sure how you've come to this understanding but I'd suggest having another go at the comparison if you still have the speakers or if you ever get the opportunity in the future again.

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    SkyMonkey and Filipe Soares like this.