Fully Featured Low Watt Amps

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by algiman, Aug 2, 2020 at 4:42 AM.

1. algiman

algiman New Member

I really like the concept of the studio series, and more often than not I am using low wattage smaller amps these days. But, I love my JVM 410 heads, not just for the tones but for all the features. What I would really like is a smaller form factor 20-40W JVM410, with all channels and features in tact, but it seems from all manufacturers that low watts leads to stripping out the specs. I realise that the controls would be somewhat packed in on a smaller amp, but I think it is doable, and it would make it possible to going back to using 2 in stereo without taking up half the stage area and scaring the sound man! I know that the 410s cope with lower volume, but carting 100w round to use a fraction of the output is pointless.
    Just me, or would that be near perfect? Any other smaller amps with the full functionality of their higher output counterparts?

Robus likes this.
  2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

You list 20 to 40 watt amps as a "low wattage smaller amps",....well, wouldn't a Jvm205 have all the features you're looking for?

It's only 10 watts more at 50 watts.

I guess it depends what a person defines as "low wattage amps",.... I'm thinking 1 to 20 or 25 watts, certainly not more than that. Maybe Marshall will come out with more 20 watt versions of some of their 100 watters, I for one would love to see that.

I'd like to see the Studio Line expanded, keeping them at 20 watts and continue making them in the UK.

3. algiman

algiman New Member

The JVM205 is halfway there, but still not the full 410!
    You are right about the wattage, I would far prefer the 20W region, I merely put in 20-40 as W is not the best way to describe output volume.

scozz likes this.
  4. rolijen

rolijen Well-Known Member

In the right hands, the 20 watt (switchable to 10 watts) DSL20HR absolutely slays. So good it’s ridiculous. Through a 4x12 or 2x12, it’s amazing. Check it out...

Doesn’t have all the EQ of your JVM wishlist but it’s a really good low power amp and super versatile.

5. algiman

algiman New Member

Yep, there are loads of really great sounding low output amps, but my point remains, low output amps never seem to be as feature rich.

6. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

There is no room for the entire feature rich setup of the 410 on say a Studio series chassis. I mean, the full head is fairly packed full. I think you won't find this. There may be a JVM studio coming at some point, my guess is the 200 series. There just isnt room. Still need to cram 2 transformers in there with the 200 knobs.
    Small amd that full featured? Get a Kemper toaster.
    You think this would fit in a smaller 20 watt amp? If the chassis stayed the same size then just keep it at 100.

[​IMG]

scozz and tce63 like this.
  7. algiman

algiman New Member

Alas digital seems the only viable option, or digitally controlled amps.

8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I think that’s true for the most part, but Marshalls 20 watt amps all have some great features. Effect loop, line out, full eq etc.

The Studio line actually has more features than their bigger, higher wattage big brothers.

9. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

@algiman
    I share you thoughts and perspective. When the wattage goes down, thr size can often shrink and more importantly, the weight! While @Jethro Rocker is absolutely correct about the features of the JVM410 not fitting into a much smaller format (although the 410C comes in at 27 5/8"), the JVM215C demonstrates that the "200" series certainly can, at 23 3/4 inches wide. And even though the 205H sheds 10 pounds from its 100 what brethren, it's full width at 29 1/2 inches, as are all the heads! And then there's the silliness of the intended 2x12 cabinet, (JVMC212) being an inch narrower that any of the combos or heads, except the 215C. I'm sorry, but an amp (combo or head) sitting on top of a narrower cabinet just looks "wrong!" I'm betting that a 20 watt version of the 205H could shed another 10 pounds and be just about 24" wide. That would make a lot of sense!
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

Jethro Rocker, algiman and scozz like this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I agree Gene, especially about the jvm212 cab, it really only fits under a 205c and 215c. The listing of the 2-12 cab states that it’s a Jvm COMBO extension cabinet, it doesn’t mention the Jvm heads. Even at that, the cab does not fit properly, imo, with the 4 series combos.

Really this is a R & D failure,...to make a Jvm 2-12 cabinet for Jvm combos and have it not fit under half of the Jvm combo line is kind of ridiculous. If the Jvmc212 cab was just 1 & 1/2 inch wider it would fit properly under ALL the Jvm combos.

Make no mistake though, the Jvmc212 is not intended to be used with Marshall heads, just combos.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 11:49 AM
  11. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

To get it the size of the Studio series, it would have to be around 20" wide. The 200 series would fit IF they have the height for 2 rows of knobs and still get the tubes in. Or the head could be slightly taller. I can see that coming down the road.

scozz likes this.
  12. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

This is probably closer to reality, imagine something between this and a 410...

scozz likes this.
  13. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member