FS UK: 1987 2555 Marshall Jubilee Head

lewis_grey

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is a sad day indeed but alas I can't justify having such a great amp just sit there not being used.

This is a very late original 1987 2555 100w Jubilee head, serial is 07087 so no risk of this being the inferior early circuit. All original transformers and no mods, has had some maintenance work over the years as to be expected. I had it completely re-valved and serviced last year and it had some loose solder joints and I think a loose tube socket. I'd imagine it has had new caps at some point as well given the age but not since I've owned it (over 5 years), other than that it's all factory and it sounds AMAZING! Definitely one of the most unique Marshalls ever made, this thing sounds massive. Really has that smooth, creamy but still biting tone these Jubilees are so renowned and coveted for! Unlike most Marshalls as well the clean channel sounds fabulous, the EQ actually works and the effects loop is extremely useable.

I should also add that this is Canadian (CSA spec) which is even rarer. CSA spec amps from this era have a metal mains power switch rather than plastic rocker and an extra fuse or two in the back for extra protection. It also only has 4 and 8 ohm taps and is currently hard wired to 230V.

Now I know what you're all thinking....it's black! Look closely and you'll see the chassis is the famous mirror finish chrome from 1987. When I received the amp a previous owner had the original head shell re done in black then signed by numerous people including Paul Gilbert and Mr Jim Marshall himself! I can't say the signatures bothered me much either way but in the interest of preserving them I bought a brand new JCM 800 reissue head shell to house it in for normal use and boxed the original signed one away....

The new head shell is now marked in places as it has been used and gigged, the original signed one will of course be included as well and I can leave it boxed for storage too.

ic23xg.jpg

15rno88.jpg

nvwg1i.jpg

21cdnqw.jpg

28rftwz.jpg

2dt4qwy.jpg

And in the original signed head shell, I think they are (right to left) Paul Gilbert, Jim Marshall and Joe Satriani. No official confirmation that they're real but I'm not charging a premium for them and aside from Jim's, the other two seem a little random to fake anyway so read into that what you will....

9qeq0k.jpg

21mdy8h.jpg

The new head shell is now marked in places as it has been used and gigged as is the chrome on the chassis, the original signed one will of course be included as well and I can leave it boxed for storage too.

It's with a heavy heart that I sell this amp but I have gone in the direction of lower gain more vintage style Marshalls now and it's time some one else enjoys this beauty.

I'm looking for £1000 for the whole lot, which I think is fair and takes into account the re-tolexed head shell. You won't find too many original 1987 2555's for less than that!

I'm open to sensible offers and this is cash or paypal on collection/meet in person only. I can drive to within a 1 hour radius of Ipswich and will go as far as Gant's hill on the A12 if you're in London.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

lewis_grey

Reaction score
Bump!

For anyone dubious about the Canadian aspect, check out this vid of a CSA spec Jubilee in Mr Joe Bonamassa's live rig a few years back....I think I remember reading his Canadian one was the first he ever got and was one of his main live amps for years.

Skip to 4:10 to hear him talking about the Jub....

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgWaYanW3GQ"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgWaYanW3GQ[/ame]

VERY close to changing my mind about selling this so someone make me an offer before I come to my senses!

stilllifer

Reaction score
Skip to 4:10 to hear him talking about the Jub....

VERY close to changing my mind about selling this so someone make me an offer before I come to my senses!

Holy crap - he bought it for $400??? :scratch: That is crazy... now Lewis - come to your senses man...keep that amp I say...you WILL regret selling it...

lewis_grey

Reaction score
Holy crap - he bought it for $400??? :scratch: That is crazy... now Lewis - come to your senses man...keep that amp I say...you WILL regret selling it...

I am starting to feel I should keep it. In fact, I'm in talks with Marshall about getting the original head shell re-done in silver. Thanks to the recent silver custom JCM 800's they did a few months back they have some silver elephant tolex identical to the 87' stuff laying around and will do it for a very reasonable price!

I will leave it open for offers for now though....

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I am starting to feel I should keep it. In fact, I'm in talks with Marshall about getting the original head shell re-done in silver. Thanks to the recent silver custom JCM 800's they did a few months back they have some silver elephant tolex identical to the 87' stuff laying around and will do it for a very reasonable price!

I will leave it open for offers for now though....

I too think you might want to hold onto that amp !!
You have a piece of Marshall History ... :yesway:

I might add that all those signatures on your amp look pretty close the real things etc. Those could very well be 100% real !!:hbang:

lewis_grey

Reaction score
I too think you might want to hold onto that amp !!
You have a piece of Marshall History ... :yesway:

I might add that all those signatures on your amp look pretty close the real things etc. Those could very well be 100% real !!:hbang:

I'd imagine they are. The only one that would make sense to forge would be Jim's, the other two probably wouldn't add any value to an amp, especially a model neither are associated with. I'm going to ask them to cut that section off neatly and keep it if I get it recovered anyway.

I really don't need the money right now.....you people are persuasive :hmm:

lewis_grey

Reaction score
So I just pulled the trigger on a clearance price 2061x.....Woops!

Looks like this hast to go!

Final price, £900 cash to any trusted forum member and that is stealing it!

lewis_grey

Reaction score
I will be in the London area on Tuesday 23rd December so I can offer FREE DELIVERY anywhere outside the congestion charge zone or on my route from Ipswich on that day, just bear in mind also that I will need a place to safely park for the duration of the deal as well.

Marc1kim

Reaction score
I have both Jim Marshalls and Joe Satriani's autographs. They both look, like their trademark signatures. Awesome score for whoever this amp went to.

lewis_grey

Reaction score
I have both Jim Marshalls and Joe Satriani's autographs. They both look, like their trademark signatures. Awesome score for whoever this amp went to.

Yeah, sold for little more than £850 through fleebay in the end but he still got a deal! I honesty thought this would be an easier sell and it'd get nearer to 4 figures than what it did even with the time of year and it being re-covered but oh well, I still didn't lose anything on it.

The guy is having the original head shell re done in silver tolex and I don't blame him, something that was on my to-do list that I never got round to!

Latest posts