Fryette PS-2 Tone Loss

tonefinder

Reaction score
New PS2 owner here.

When using the Fryette simply to attenuate an amp (70s 2203/2204), it's glorious.

However, doing so with Fryette's fx loop engaged results in a massive tone loss (50%). The loss is proportional to the amount of attenuation happening. Specifically, to the level of the amp; with master volume past 2 or 3 (9-10 o'clock) the tone becomes increasingly anemic.

I've tried the Fryette with different amps; same result. My cables are good (Mogami). Actually, any insertion of a cable into the Fryette send or return jack produces the problem; the other end need not be plugged into anything at all.

Could a faulty PS2 fuse or tube be responsible for this? I tested its rear controls ie: fx level; the problem is unrelated to a controllable setting anywhere on the unit.

I've sent an email to [email protected] Any ideas?

tonefinder

Reaction score
EDIT:
It appears the problem is that I was using the same non-isolated power supply (1-spot wall wart) on pedals both in front of the amp, AND in the Fryette's fx loop.

I was considering multiple nuclear options; having amps serviced, returning the Fryette... sheesh. I wish they included power instructions for their fx loop.