Frustrated trying to find help.......please help?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
That would suggest you have a shorted output tube, yes. Good news: The amp is safe to run with two tubes, just make sure that they're in a pair. If the four tube sockets were numbered 1 thru 4, left to right, you need to be sure you have one tube in 1 or 2, and the other tube in 3 or 4. 1 and 4, or 2 and 3. Or even 1 and 3, or 2 and 4. As long as each side has the same number of tubes in it, that's OK.

However, this test is not proof that it's a bad tube. There may be a problem on a specific power tube socket, like a burned screen resistor, or an arc burned power tube socket. In that case, putting a GOOD tube into the bad socket can trigger the fuse blowing.

myersbw

Reaction score
It's a 2 tube 50W combo.

Yep, and, thus, the "soft hum" you heard was power transformer vibration. Thanks for the detail on your plight! That helped with the perspective. I've had good success with the Mullard Reissues and Groove Tubes. But, that's just my personal experience. Most of my customers go with the Mullard Reissues and none have ever voiced issues of them failing early...and they're gigging players.

I also like the E34L's (JJ's). I have one guy that prefers that long plate in his amps. They've held up for years for him.

Perry Miller

Reaction score
So does this mean it's the tubes or could it still be in the power supply section? I don't know how to tell if it's the tube(s) or something else.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
You'd have to have a known good pair of power tubes to do any further troubleshooting.

Latest posts