Frusciante using New Marshall amp for RHCP tour.

usablefiber

Reaction score
Looks like John has dropped his plexi major and silver jube combo he’s been using for the past 20 plus years on and off woth the chili peppers. now Looks like he dropped the Silver Jube for a jmp amp. Pics from the first show of the tour. Also a whole new rig of mostly off the shelf mxr and boss pedals.. very different from his last rig.

I’m really excited to see how different he sounds with a different amp all together for his dirty tone. If anyone was at the show let me know how he sounded. A9590A7B-EE32-4C33-AB48-964131206794.jpeg

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I noticed he was using a different pedal board when I saw them on one of the late-night shows. It looked like it was 90% Boss pedals!

Always interesting to see how much a change in gear has on their sound.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
It's a 2203 and a Major....based on the size of the head cabinet. The 1959 cabinet is SLIGHTLY smaller.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
I read somewhere else that he has 2 boards. The one on Kimmel was the small one iirc. The tour board is a lot bigger. Like ridiculous imo.

usablefiber

Reaction score
I noticed he was using a different pedal board when I saw them on one of the late-night shows. It looked like it was 90% Boss pedals!

Always interesting to see how much a change in gear has on their sound.
yeah it was mostly a lot of off the shelf boss and mxr pedals. He used to have lots of vintage and high end mooger fooger and an actual spring reverb tank, so wonder if he was either enjoying the simpler pedals, which certainly can be used for creative wonders if used in creative sequence and such, or wanted something easier to repair or replace on the go. Either way i’m interested to see.

usablefiber

Reaction score
I read somewhere else that he has 2 boards. The one on Kimmel was the small one iirc. The tour board is a lot bigger. Like ridiculous imo.
yeah i mean He had always had a pretty crazy pedal setup since the by the way era and his love of soundscape and atmospheric experimenting and such, it’s just a lot more of the smaller stomp box types instead. but still crazy huge

usablefiber

Reaction score
the Jimmy Kimmel vid looks like a JMP 2 holer (vertical) & an Mk II 4 holer...
The article claims that the jmp 2303 is the same as the jcm800 model. The jmp stuff that’s after the plexi era and into the jcm era Always confuses me as to their differences.

usablefiber

Reaction score
I will say it’s interesting since the jube been his dirt tone for so long, why he would switch. Again not sure if original silver jubes were more difficult to maintain than the jmp and wanting reliability or if just feeling it more for the new album. The tonal shift is interesting.

From what i’ve read and been able to see on stage, not definitive accuracy, is that he runs the jube on the normal channel with the gain up and not the overdrive channel.. which imo defintely has a little big less of an agressive sound than the 800… but again who knows with how his is set up with rig, biased, mods, etc.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
JCM800 was just a name change for the series. And a change of cosmetics. The 2203, 2204, 1959, and 1987 got full width gold front panels and the JCM800 name but were literally the same amps as the JMP versions of the previous year.

The changeover to JCM800 as the series name was done to establish a break between the pre- and post- Rose-Morris distribution deal that finally came to its conclusion in 1980.

In later years there were some changes made to some of those models, but first year JCM800s were essentially identical internally to their JMP relatives.