Front garden wall anti butt suggestions please.

mcblink

Reaction score
Hello M.F'ers,

So the lady who lived next to us (row houses) died last year and her sons decided to finally sell. My wife and I figured lets have some work done on the front.

A. Aesthetics
B. To avoid encroachment issues like we had with the other neighbor when he bought the other house on the other side years ago and
C. to stop random people and neighbors from plopping their asses down on the short wall that was there prior to this one.

The guy did a beautiful job but I told my wife maybe we needed it higher to discourage butt plopper downers. I used to go out and be that guy... "Get off the wall" lol. I'd rather not have to do that except for people who block my driveway and walk to another house that also (all do) have a driveway... I let them have it.

We're 2 blocks from a huge park and that's part of the issue. Lots of foot traffic.

My idea was to get a thingy made, *dull*, small brass or copper studs on strips and have them attached somehow to the limestone so it would be uncomfortable and uninviting to people's asses but not mess with the nice work this guy did.

Sorry, lol. but it is what it is. Not to mention all I need is for some idiot or their kid in the future to fall backwards, crack their head and blame us. Can you dig it? I knew that you could.

I don't even know if that could be done... that's where you M.F.er's come in. Ideas? Jokes? Whatever? Bring it...
Something called "Hostile Architecture"
Seriously!

From Wikipedia:

"Hostile architecture is an urban-design strategy that uses elements of the built environment to purposefully guide or restrict behaviour. It often targets people who use or rely on public space more than others, such as youth, poor people, and homeless people, by restricting the physical behaviours they can engage in."

A couple of random photos of possible considerations:

12c6e571-b692-4d52-9e73-8f969e917df6.jpg zlx2bu462qv31.jpg anti-cat-strips-SGRP.jpg 61xwcul+XIL._AC_SX466_.jpg Metal+Parapets+-+Harris+Green+North.jpg

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Seriously!

From Wikipedia:

"Hostile architecture is an urban-design strategy that uses elements of the built environment to purposefully guide or restrict behaviour. It often targets people who use or rely on public space more than others, such as youth, poor people, and homeless people, by restricting the physical behaviours they can engage in."

View attachment 112752 View attachment 112754 View attachment 112755 View attachment 112756 View attachment 112757
Oh yeah, that would work and look cool!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously!

From Wikipedia:

View attachment 112752 View attachment 112754 View attachment 112755 View attachment 112756 View attachment 112757
Without being "hostile", some sort of decorative ornamental railing that just makes the height of the wall taller than a comfortable seating height would be functional and attractive for the front of your residence.
Like this balcony railing:
1660158046223.png

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
"Decorative" metal spikes.

You can probably Pick something up at someplace like Home Depot, or even a junkyard. Then just measure and drill holes close enough together to discourage the sitters, ("6 would be a good rule of thumb) then use a good epoxy to cement them in place.

Also, Keep them short enough to where someone wouldn't get impaled if they fell on them..Short ones would also discourage people from trying to pull them out.

Geeze

Reaction score
Grease [or something similar] it as a short term solution whilst you sort out the long. Gotta keep the punters used to staying off it. If you don't have your front windows open you an also drop a few drops of fox / skunk urine from time to time - a localized repellent zone. A little goes a long way. Get it online.

Russ

junk notes

Reaction score
What is there to think about. Big cities and corporate do this all the time and with most their public properties discouraging people to lay on a bench, but they have the money and know deliberately what they are doing.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Grease [or something similar] it as a short term solution whilst you sort out the long. Gotta keep the punters used to staying off it. If you don't have your front windows open you an also drop a few drops of fox / skunk urine from time to time - a localized repellent zone. A little goes a long way. Get it online.

Russ

Yup, axle grease would do it. Especially if they're not smart enough to realize before they sit on it. They'll know then. Lol

Deftone

Reaction score
Concertina wire.

iu