Friedman Pink Taco, Mini Dirty Shirley Or Runt 20 ?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Del Rei, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Hey, guys.

I have a Smallbox that I use with my 2x12", and I'm really happy with it. Best tone ever. [​IMG]

But I'm wondering about a smaller gear, for some smalls gigs.... And These mini heads came across my mind. And I would match with 1x12" I have.

So, I have a question...

For a Slash (Appetite) and ACDC tones which one should I get?

Thank you guys!

2. mantrasky

mantrasky Well-Known Member

For what you stated the "Mini DS" would cover best (little closer to Plexi) also the Runt (closer to JCM800) can do the same but with a bit more gain. the PT can do much of the same as the two but it can also do "Hair Metal" (General Metal) Closer to a Modified JCM800 w/more gain. Angus tone is closer to the DS, Slash (JCM800/Jubilee) DS to Runt, but now his song "You should be mine" from the Terminator movie would be closer to the Pink Taco.

If it was me picking I might go Runt because it can do the hard rock but also very good clean and still cover most, the DS with a Pedal in front can also cover with a bit more early Marshall-like tone. Still it would also depend on the guitar, cabinet, pedals that will give the best results.

Places like The Guitar Center might have the models you talked about so you could try them out! **Also whats fun and sounds great is using the Effects-Loop with something like
    TC Electronic G-Major, very quiet many great effects, just a little Reverb or Delay will enhance your "Live" experience without being so dry (depending on the room). The amp on the left "Soldano" (my sons amp) the rack next to it has a G-Major, he's had it for years Never a problem sounds beautiful.
    [​IMG]

Del Rei, Coronado and slagg like this.
  3. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Hey there, what is that sE connected to your Bogner? Is that for capturing sound? Is that a type of stand?

4. mantrasky

mantrasky Well-Known Member

Hello Coronado, the "sE" is a Reflection Filter there is Acoustic Foam on the inside and the fixture is holding two microphones a SM57 & Ribbon. For years I've used mic's placed in front of the speaker (which is still a good format) and I was looking to improve recording tones in my home studio, it's not as plush and refined as a pro studio but I can get really great results, which I also do clients material that send me wav.files then load them to my DAW. I've found it really helps to get a "Cleaner" overall tone with way less artifacts.
    I'm always looking to "naturally" clean up while still retaining the integrity without (as best as I can) using EQ's, only mic placement, I do have great software but natural is the best.

5. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Hey, mantrasky...Thanks man!

I'm from Brazil and will come to the USA soon, and hope to get all of them to try side by side. But sometimes it's not possible, and in this case I'm trying to find the best option.

The Runt would be nice because it's cheaper and have more features. But for what I heard on YouTube, I guess the MDS will be my best match.

I have the Smallbox, that is kind of a thight voiced amp (I guess PT is the closest voice). And maybe the MDS should give me a tone variety that would be nice.

That sE seems to be really a good improvement for recordings. I will take a look in that.