Friedman Failure / Friedman BE100 vs. solid state Marshall / Friedman quits working / Marshall wins

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago (2015) I had a similar situation where my new BE-100 blew a power tube TAD EL34STR after seven months, I didn't think much of it as I was gigging and doing studio work all the time, though I did think it was a little premature? I did have two new quad-sets of the same TAD EL34STR. I re-tubed/bias then after about six weeks "another power tube blew??" each time the Fuse would blow First. This time there "was a hum" I also was going to Dave Friedman's shop to have him modify my BE-100. After Dave looked at it he said "a Cap is going bad" didn't blow, he replaced it though it's now a different value than original along with all different components for the modifications. Originally the BE was a little "Too Smooth?" kind of Neal Schon all the time (Highest Respect!) I wanted More Raw Marshall aggressiveness with additional tonal versatilely, the amp today has more JEL/SS100/Naked/Phil-X/BE-100 with "Jose" added along with a Variable-Response Control (negative feedback) rather than a 3-position switch like on the BE-100Deluxe, I can dial-in exact amount I need, some compression for smooth soloing or No-compression for punch in your face...Sounds killer.

I also ended up using EH EL34 which has been Great! After two years of gigs and studio sessions and no problems though Dave has had my amp a few more times over the years for more modifications (work on my Clean Channel Fender Twin/Deluxe & VOX rather than Plexi) sounds killer over all. The TAD EL34STR had really Bad-Quality though had more Complexity tone wise, when the tubes blew it "hit the input capacitor". I'm also more aware of Voltage coming from the Outlet, my house has 126.9vac (early 1:00am) every increase in voltage "Multiplies in the amp" pro-studios use filters.
Oh...and that Friedman of yours sounds teets!!! I've heard it!

MantraSky

Reaction score
Oh...and that Friedman of yours sounds teets!!! I've heard it!
"Thanks man" \../

I love Friedman amps absolutely but there's something when I can sit down with Dave, right there in his shop and "Tweak" the tones that works for me! I also brought my "Jose & Jackson" modified Marshall's as reference, along with Dave's knowledge.

It took a few years and a few trips to Dave until I was really satisfied, but I also wanting an amazing "Clean Channel" (originally Plexi like) so I had to listen to the amp in a number of locations to know for sure (Home studio, Pro-Studio, Live and outdoor festivals).

Last edited:

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Thanks man" \../

I love Friedman amps absolutely but there's something when I can sit down with Dave, right there in his shop and "Tweak" the tones that works for me! I also brought my "Jose & Jackson" modified Marshall's as reference, along with Dave's knowledge.
It took a few years and a few trips to Dave until I was really satisfied, but I also wanting an amazing "Clean Channel" (originally Plexi like) so I had to listen to the amp in a number of locations to know for sure (Home studio, Pro-Studio, Live and outdoor festivals).
You sicko tone chaser!lol

Well I say you got a grasp on what sounded/felt good and translated that to quite a capable builder.

I've got to listen to your tunes and can say yes...My brother knows tone.:agreed:

Then being a gun slinger surely doesn't hurt!:D

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I'm very curious why this Friedman keeps needing repairs. Is it spilt beer or actual build parameters? We need to know. Next video.:D
He mentions that the tech installed a "slightly higher" rated fuse in a location that was rated at 4 amps....
Thats one way to fix it!
Hopefully, it wont cause additional problems by increasing the amp rating on this fuse....
Time will tell.

PelliX

Reaction score
He mentions that the tech installed a "slightly higher" rated fuse in a location that was rated at 4 amps....
Thats one way to fix it!
Hopefully, it wont cause additional problems by increasing the amp rating on this fuse....
Time will tell.

Can you believe it? I mean, what a guy. Installs a new fuse when the old one blew. Get it right the first time; use a nail. Geesh.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Can you believe it? I mean, what a guy. Installs a new fuse when the old one blew. Get it right the first time; use a nail. Geesh.
Back in the early 1980's, I had a guy at school fix a Volkswagen fuse with a copper penny....
It worked well for about 2 hours, and then he had a fire under the dash!
Oooops!