Friedman Failure / Friedman BE100 vs. solid state Marshall / Friedman quits working / Marshall wins

PelliX

Reaction score
I would love to get a Marshall up over 8v outdoors.
That would be insane to noodle with that kind of power.
Halfstacks can be heard a half mile away !
Nice
:)

I don't actively measure the distance, but imagine a small belt of trees about 500m from my house. The belt of trees is about 100m wide, dense foliage. I had just bought my SC20 head and was testing it on a single Greenback upstairs, doors and windows closed as far as that's concerned. People standing on the other side of the trees could 'hear it clearly'. No dB meter and I wasn't there obviously, but from what I recall I didn't actually take it above about halfway the dial on High power. They told me what I was playing, so they definitely heard it.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I don't actively measure the distance, but imagine a small belt of trees about 500m from my house. The belt of trees is about 100m wide, dense foliage. I had just bought my SC20 head and was testing it on a single Greenback upstairs, doors and windows closed as far as that's concerned. People standing on the other side of the trees could 'hear it clearly'. No dB meter and I wasn't there obviously, but from what I recall I didn't actually take it above about halfway the dial on High power. They told me what I was playing, so they definitely heard it.
Did you read the title? LOL
The title says " I blew up my Friedman".
[/QUOTE
That’s about the same volume as my Mrs then .

PelliX

Reaction score
No Marshalls or other amps were hurt during the exercise. The Greenback is also doing fine, and the people in the blast radius are expected to recover completely.

I can't remember who, but someone here on the forum once said something like "If an amp can't kill a herd of cows at 500 yards, it's not worth having." or something similar. Made me spit coffee...

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Currently 22 used 2203’s on Reverb right now—cheapest one is $2300 and it;s modded and looks like it fell off a truck.

I haven't seen a 2203 for $1500 in years. $2300 for a possibly hacked up amp with questionable mods doesn't sound very appealing to me. That's why I bought a Splawn.

I haven't personally played a Friedman but every time I've heard one, it sounds killer..

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a 2203 for $1500 in years. $2300 for a possibly hacked up amp with questionable mods doesn't sound very appealing to me. That's why I bought a Splawn.

I haven't personally played a Friedman but every time I've heard one, it sounds killer..
There haven’t been any decent 2203s avail under $2k in forever. Perhaps @Tatzmann hasn’t left his house in a decade or so?

Silly click bait video. @Springfield Scooter has it out for Dave for some reason. Maybe Dave took his girl. I have 2 Friedman’s, they are rock solid and sound fantastic.

From what I can see most of the disparaging remarks are coming from people with zero experience with the amps in question.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Fyi i couldve bought a 6101 30th combo today
for 200€. Good shape only logo missing.

Turned it down because the innards of these
make me sick and i dont like combos.

I might get a ca 1970 50top in a couple of days for roundabout 400 including original cab with Fane drivers. Not a scratch on it.

I feel little sorry for you tallguy that you live on
the more pricey side of the pond, not.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fyi i couldve bought a 6101 30th combo today
for 200€. Good shape only logo missing.

Turned it down because the innards of these
make me sick and i dont like combos.

I might get a ca 1970 50top in a couple of days for roundabout 400 including original cab with Fane drivers. Not a scratch on it.

I feel little sorry for you tallguy that you live on
the more pricey side of the pond, not.
I post my gear and my tone, all good here. No make believe.

playloud

Reaction score
There haven’t been any decent 2203s avail under $2k in forever. Perhaps @Tatzmann hasn’t left his house in a decade or so?

Silly click bait video. @Springfield Scooter has it out for Dave for some reason. Maybe Dave took his girl. I have 2 Friedman’s, they are rock solid and sound fantastic.

From what I can see most of the disparaging remarks are coming from people with zero experience with the amps in question.

No opinion on the Friedman, but I don't think it's that hard to find 70s ("JMP") 2203s around the $2k mark. Even in the US.

If you take a look at actual Reverb sold prices (not asking prices), you'll notice a few things:
- Several clean examples have sold in recent months with a listing price at or just above $2k (e.g. $2300).
- Of these, the ones higher than $2k tend to have offers listed (you'll see "offers: 3" etc in the listing info). In many cases, I suspect one of these offers was what was ultimately accepted. (I've bought a number of items on Reverb at negotiated prices in the past, and they appear in "sold" listings at the asking price.)

If you're willing to compromise on seller location, it isn't hard to find nice UK/Europe-based examples for less than US$2k including shipping. If you're willing to compromise on year of production (i.e. "JCM800" faceplate), it is also possible to get under that mark. If you're willing to compromise on both, there are some really good deals to be had (there was an example on here that sold for €1350 recently and looked excellent!)

Last edited:

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suspect a power tube failure:D leading to a fuse blowing. He was running it full tilt and tubes just may not deliver. Only takes one power tube to silence an amp. Fuse too. I know he said he checked fuses. Hopefully it wasn't just a visual check.

Still could be a fuse if no power/lights come on.

I'm very curious why this Friedman keeps needing repairs. Is it spilt beer or actual build parameters? We need to know. Next video.:D

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fucking caps?! No. At least there is some money left over for one stripper. My neighbor does so much more for under a dollar.

Told you. Fuse. I would add an unstable power tube at volume. Go ahead. Use the same quartet at volume.

Fucking 3 weeks!? You must love a slow hand. Lubed or plenty of fricktion? Sometimes friction just does it for me. Think it's the sound of dry meat slap.:agreed:

Last edited:

MantraSky

Reaction score
Fucking caps?! No. At least there is some money left over for one stripper. My neighbor does so much more for under a dollar.

Told you. Fuse. I would add an unstable power tube at volume. Go ahead. Use the same quartet at volume.

Fucking 3 weeks!? You must love a slow hand. Lubed or plenty of fricktion? Sometimes friction just does it for me. Think it's the sound of dry meat slap.:agreed:
Years ago (2015) I had a similar situation where my new BE-100 blew a power tube TAD EL34STR after seven months, I didn't think much of it as I was gigging and doing studio work all the time, though I did think it was a little premature? I did have two new quad-sets of the same TAD EL34STR. I re-tubed/bias then after about six weeks "another power tube blew??" each time the Fuse would blow First. This time there "was a hum" I also was going to Dave Friedman's shop to have him modify my BE-100. After Dave looked at it he said "a Cap is going bad" didn't blow, he replaced it though it's now a different value than original along with all different components for the modifications. Originally the BE was a little "Too Smooth?" kind of Neal Schon all the time (Highest Respect!) I wanted More Raw Marshall aggressiveness with additional tonal versatilely, the amp today has more JEL/SS100/Naked/Phil-X/BE-100 with "Jose" added along with a Variable-Response Control (negative feedback) rather than a 3-position switch like on the BE-100Deluxe, I can dial-in exact amount I need, some compression for smooth soloing or No-compression for punch in your face...Sounds killer.

I also ended up using EH EL34 which has been Great! After two years of gigs and studio sessions and no problems though Dave has had my amp a few more times over the years for more modifications (work on my Clean Channel Fender Twin/Deluxe & VOX rather than Plexi) sounds killer over all. The TAD EL34STR had really Bad-Quality though had more Complexity tone wise, when the tubes blew it "hit the input capacitor". I'm also more aware of Voltage coming from the Outlet, my house has 126.9vac (early 1:00am) every increase in voltage "Multiplies in the amp" pro-studios use filters.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No opinion on the Friedman, but I don't think it's that hard to find 70s ("JMP") 2203s around the $2k mark. Even in the US.

If you take a look at actual Reverb sold prices (not asking prices), you'll notice a few things:
- Several clean examples have sold in recent months with a listing price at or just above $2k (e.g. $2300).
- Of these, the ones higher than $2k tend to have offers listed (you'll see "offers: 3" etc in the listing info). In many cases, I suspect one of these offers was what was ultimately accepted. (I've bought a number of items on Reverb at negotiated prices in the past, and they appear in "sold" listings at the asking price.)

If you're willing to compromise on seller location, it isn't hard to find nice UK/Europe-based examples for less than US$2k including shipping. If you're willing to compromise on year of production (i.e. "JCM800" faceplate), it is also possible to get under that mark. If you're willing to compromise on both, there are some really good deals to be had (there was an example on here that sold for €1350 recently and looked excellent!)
Well I’m responding to the comment that used Marshall 2203’s are selling every day for $1500. Not true, here anyway. Sold prices are hit and miss on Reverb—when I sell a high dollar item it is usually through local pickup. In all those cases I end the listing without paying for it.

I look at Reverb and CL every morning with coffee for the past 5 or so years—I spend $7-$10k on used guitar related stuff every year. Now I’m not shopping in Europe, I’m looking in the northeast US—Boston and New York. There hasn’t been a 2203 under 2k here in a long time.

Since the ‘pandemic’ things have taken a real turn—esp with Marshall stuff. Now a $1500-$1750 used Marshall is a 6100 in decent shape. I haven’t bought a used Marshall in years because of this.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago (2015) I had a similar situation where my new BE-100 blew a power tube TAD EL34STR after seven months, I didn't think much of it as I was gigging and doing studio work all the time, though I did think it was a little premature? I did have two new quad-sets of the same TAD EL34STR. I re-tubed/bias then after about six weeks "another power tube blew??" each time the Fuse would blow First. This time there "was a hum" I also was going to Dave Friedman's shop to have him modify my BE-100. After Dave looked at it he said "a Cap is going bad" didn't blow, he replaced it though it's now a different value than original along with all different components for the modifications. Originally the BE was a little "Too Smooth?" kind of Neal Schon all the time (Highest Respect!) I wanted More Raw Marshall aggressiveness with additional tonal versatilely, the amp today has more JEL/SS100/Naked/Phil-X/BE-100 with "Jose" added along with a Variable-Response Control (negative feedback) rather than a 3-position switch like on the BE-100Deluxe, I can dial-in exact amount I need, some compression for smooth soloing or No-compression for punch in your face...Sounds killer.

I also ended up using EH EL34 which has been Great! After two years of gigs and studio sessions and no problems though Dave has had my amp a few more times over the years for more modifications (work on my Clean Channel Fender Twin/Deluxe & VOX rather than Plexi) sounds killer over all. The TAD EL34STR had really Bad-Quality though had more Complexity tone wise, when the tubes blew it "hit the input capacitor". I'm also more aware of Voltage coming from the Outlet, my house has 126.9vac (early 1:00am) every increase in voltage "Multiplies in the amp" pro-studios use filters.
And values on caps even new are like tubes. Steady or not so steady.

The BSTR's are made to be hearty tubes. Funny but not surprising tubes were not. Been there.

I've got a variac I like to use once in a while to lower voltage. My wall voltage runs 119/120.

I was thinking running it full tilt tests tubes for sure. Most don't run their amps like that. Shit happens wide open.lol

Latest posts