Friedman Be-od

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by 99_Revolutions, Nov 7, 2017.

1. 99_Revolutions

99_Revolutions Active Member

Well I picked up a BE-OD yesterday. Let me start by saying, Wow. I am pairing this pedal with a Bugera 333 combo with V30's. I ran this pedal through the clean channel of the amp, along with straight into the effects loop of the power amp. I am running the pedal at 9v.

This pedal kills. I started with the trim pot around 8:30, and it has a crazy range of tones. I started with the gain around 9:00, and the pedal accurately recreates the cranked plexi tones from AC/DC, The Who, Thin Lizzy, and most other 70's and early 80's classic rock. The bass, treble, presence, and tight controls shape the tone very well. When I run through the front of my amp on clean, I find the bass maxed, treble around 1, and presence straight up works no matter where the gain is set.

Moving from low gain tones(and yes this pedal can in fact do low gain tones) to the gain around 10:30, the Friedman does great Hot-rodded plexi/2203 tones. It gives a nice tone for Randy Rhodes, earlier VH, and alternative rock such as Green Day(nails the Bradshaw gain mod Billie has on his plexi) and Foo Fighters.

Turning the gain knob up to noon, the pedal recreates the brown sound to a t. The harmonics and sizzle are right there. Adding a hair of treble sends the tone into AFD territory. The gain is very touch sensitive. It responds well to how I pick. Sending the gain to 10, the pedal nails the 90's thrash Metallica tone. If you increase the treble and presence, it nails Jerry Cantrell's tone.

To wrap things up, I don't understand the hate for this pedal. It turns my cheap 6l6 amp into a screaming Plexi. I will admit that if the volume is less than half way up on the pedal, the mids sound a bit scoped, but if the volume is increased, the middy punch and thump of a marshall(or a Friedman if you want to be technical)shines. I'm looking forward to micing this pedal up to get some recordings for you guys.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Barfly

Barfly Expert bottle opener. Silver Supporting Member

clip?

3. 99_Revolutions

Yeah It'll just be on my iPhone.

4. Barfly

I think those are the best! I'd really like to hear it.. actually both. the scooped and the cranked tone.

5. 99_Revolutions

Uploading a clip through the clean channel. Picking up a mic and mixer tonight so I should have a nice clip by the end of the night!

6. 99_Revolutions

7. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

A couple of things that I learned from owning one would be that the tight and gain controls need to work together. Find the balance you like between them but don't have them too far apart. Also, turn the presence all the way up and then adjust the treble to taste. That gives it a lot of bite.

8. 99_Revolutions

I personally like the tight bumped between half and 3/4ths of the way up.

9. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

Nice clip man, I like the sound of that.

10. 99_Revolutions

Thanks!

11. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I enjoyed the demo man. Good job at covering different tunes/tones and showing how the pedal can be adjusted.

However OFA takes care of my pushed amp needs. I love me a pedal I can control and delivers my kind of tone/feel. I need to romp. Call it self indulgence.

Great demo though dude.

12. Barfly

That sounds really excellent! Thanks for the clip. Sounds tuff. :applause:

Based on your clip I'd probably order one except I have my wants covered. I mainly use the Soldano GTO and also a Keeley Red Dirt. Your clip sounds great though and nice playing. I like that you did rhythm on the examples instead of doing licks (which I think is kind of useless when demoing.)

Thanks!

13. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Sounds great OP and congrats on the NPD! I don't believe there is much "hate" for these at all.

I had the BE-OD and really liked it as well, you'll be very happy with it I'm sure (I already had the Smallbox however and the pedal was redundant so I let it go)! I DID have a decent demo upped for a long time but eventually yanked it because, well, got tired of trying to respond to questions/comments for something I no longer owned and couldn't help much with anyway (like settings, speakers, etc). I still have the clip though and thought I'd upload it today as it is a mic'd clip FWIW (it's also a much higher gain clip than your excellent vid because that's the area where I was considering using it).

Newayz, this is the pedal through the clean channel of the Friedman SB and a G12H30 cab...settings on the pedal were..."mean" lol.

wntbtw, 99_Revolutions and zachman like this.
  14. 99_Revolutions

When I was reading forum threads (especially MarshallForum) people said they didn't like it. It's weird. It's a modded plexi in a box!

15. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

^^^ I think the majority of folks do like it, that is weird, guess the guys who didn't care for it make their case louder than the happy/satisfied users (typically how it goes with anything). Agreed....it's one of the best gain boxes avail, especially for pure drive tones where you're taking a good clean amp and adding a lead channel to it. I heard Cameron was brewing something similar up (like a take on the CCV), that would be mighty cool too.

16. 99_Revolutions

That would be cool! I planned on buying a ceriatone plexi/jcm and getting some sort of jose/bradshaw type mod but I don't have plans for that due to this pedal!

17. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

If you like the BE pedal, you should try the Dirty Shirley pedal.. even better!

18. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Really? I'll have to look into that one.

19. 99_Revolutions

Might have to play it when I can. From the demo's I watched, it seemed more classic rock geared. Not that that is a bad thing, but the sound in my head is more of the hotrodded marshall type.

20. MAD 69

MAD 69 New Member

I just picked one of these up, I can't get a good sound at all out of my dsl20, can't seem to dial in a good sound from this pedal.