Frenzel pre amp with load box (?)

mtm105

Reaction score
F103BDDD-074A-448D-A497-C20E75CC224F.jpeg
How do you plug directly into amp? I was told by a very reputable amp builder it needs a load box. I am not familiar with it. And do you use guitar, or speaker cables?

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just went to the Frenzel website and there are options available for this preamp that includes the "add a power amp" option. With just a frontal picture its impossible to know if yours has the power amp option.

I would send them an email and ask Frenzel if there's a manual for yours available for download, and what options yours has.

Generally speaking true preamps use instrument cables to hook up to a power amp. Output from Power amps being attenuated use speaker cables.

mtm105

Reaction score
It says:

The inputs are high impedance and the output is low impedance. This allows the preamp to work
as an effects amp between your guitar and the input jack of your amp....or in your amp's effects
loop. It will also drive studio mixers or PA amps. If you have never played through a tube
preamp.. you are in for a real treat. If you have, you are still in for a trip, because of the
combination of Type F smooth warm tones and Type M high-mid overdrive tones and other extras that have been added. It makes just about any tube amp sound better......and for you guys with
solid state amps who are craving that vintage tube sound, you can insert it in front of your solid
state amp and get that classic vintage custom sound of your own

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Desch isch dr neue Josef Frensl
Blus Bre-Amp. Dr hat denn dollschte
Glang waid un braid!

:p

mtm105

Reaction score
https://reverb.com/item/908924-frenzel-hb-1-matchless-hot-box.

It’s a Hot Box with Marshal mod.

Frenzel HB-1 “Hot Box” Preamp
Modeled after the vintage Matchless Hot Box.

From the respected amp builder, Jim Frenzel - Get this high quality, handwired, point-to-point TUBE preamp for the cost of a pedal.
Can be run in FRONT of your amp into the guitar input, into the EFFECTS LOOP or direct into a POWER AMP, RECORDING CONSOLE or MIXER. It's footswitchable, so it can work just like an effects pedal, only better and more versatile.

2 channels:
1) Super clean (with Bright switch)
2) Over the top gain (with Boost switch)
Channels are footswitchable. Footswitch will be included.
Incredibly versatile - can be used in the following ways:
· Like a pedal in front of the amp – direct into the guitar input
· As a standalone pre-amp into:
  • Amp
  • PA
  • Direct recording
You can even use headphones / earbuds for quiet practice.
FROM THE BUILDER
frenzeltubeamps.com/page18.php

Latest posts