>

Framus cobra relevant?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Daniel55, May 13, 2021.

1. Daniel55

Daniel55 New Member

I'm not sure if should try to sell her or keep her. I've had the cobra with matching cab for quite a while. I spent a small fortune on it new. Seems to have lost value a lot since then. I modded the crunch channel to have more gain, but other than that its bone stock. Very shiny and pretty but I never hear anything good about them.... Just curious on opinions

2. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

:photos:

StrummerJoe and lespaul339 like this.
  3. Daniel55

Daniel55 New Member

I'll have to take a few pics after work and post them.

4. Daniel55

Daniel55 New Member

5. Daniel55

Daniel55 New Member

That's all I have on my phone. The cab looks similiar with a metal grill that looks like the top half of the amp head. The head lights up in red when on

6. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Ironic thread title, just found this vid.

None for sale out there right now, but recent Reverb listings went for around $900 to $1.2k range for the head.
    Seems like a nice high gain amp, if that's what you're rocking.

7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Our late brother diesect was all about the framus cobra, search up some of his videos he fricking shreds it like a pro! RIP Paul

8. Daniel55

Daniel55 New Member

I haven't actually played it in a long time. It is high gain for sure. Yeah, that's so much less than what I paid. Maybe I'll keep it and see what happens in the future...

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  9. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

If theres none for sale and you dont want it any more post it for a big number on Reverb, at least what you feel is a fair price, now is the time to sell since used inventory is so low in general and non-existent for Framus. You might have a rare bird thats worth a fortune! :yesway:

Maggot Brain likes this.
  10. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Keep it.

Gear life is cyclical...it will be highly desirable again...some day.

11. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

As Pedecamp mentioned, Diesect2000 (I think that was his full user name), was pretty fond of those. I learned the hard way, unless you want to lose a lot of money, don't sell for "average sold" prices, unless in a hurry to move gear. I lost a lot of money on Mesa amps (good ones - Rect-O-Verb, Express 5:25, Express 5:50+, Mark IV and Mark V) by selling at low average. I got rid of them fairly quick. However, if I would have just kept them around a little longer (like up until "now"), I wouldn't have lost nearly as much, and may have even made some money on a few of them. Put a price on it, you feel it may be worth and be patient.

12. Daniel55

Daniel55 New Member

Good advice. Think I'll keep it and see what happens. I've doen the same with other gear, sold and then regretted it.

StrummerJoe likes this.
  13. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

I'd keep it, but that's how I roll. I hate regretting sales so nothing gets sold.

It took me 12 years to replace a Rivera Jake Studio Combo.

That Framus Cobra isn't going to be easy to replace if you should ever desire to have one again. Framus makes high quality stuff and that's a killer amp.

14. TheLoudness!!

TheLoudness!! Active Member

How long have you had the Cobra? Were there any reliability issues?? I hear mixed reviews about them in that aspect and most the issues with the amps were because of the matching cab had faulty output jacks.

The Cobra was one of the most desirable high gain amps of the early 2000s and to my ears, one of the best high gain amps out there period. Tone like anything is subjective. I was wanting to get a Cobra but there were none to be had and there isn’t a listing for one anywhere. When they do show up, they sell very quickly.

All decent high gain amps have shot up in value, which is hilarious to me since people consider them dinosaurs and brag on Kempers and Axe Fx constantly. While they work great for some people and that’s fine, I personally can’t stand them.

Here’s some examples of stuff with pricing you could score a few years back...say less than a decade ago.
    I seen VHT Pittbulls sell for less than $1k. Now you are lucky to get one for less than $2k. Same with Rivera Knuckleheads. You used to score them for around $800 easily...now $1500 if right place right time. I ain’t even gotta talk about how overpriced a Peavey 5150 head is now. You can buy a really nice amp for what people want for those. A Splawn Nitro showed up on Reverb for $1200 (which is a deal) recently and sold instantly.

My two cents is that I’d keep the Cobra. I’m betting they are going to shoot back up in value in the very near future. I regret selling so many of my amps because I sure can’t buy them back for anywhere near what I got them for the first time around. I recently dropped some coin on a Framus Dragon because nobody had a Cobra anywhere.

15. Daniel55

Daniel55 New Member

That would be awesome to actually not totally lose out on a purchase. I really want to like the amp. Just something about it that i cant get the sound i like from it. Thanks fro the advice!

16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

That amp reminds me of the Carvin V3, it was a very good amp just to modern sounding for me.

proxy likes this.
  17. proxy

proxy Well-Known Member

All of these modern high gain amps sound absolutely the same to me

18. Zado

Zado Active Member

Because they kinda do. Framus Cobra is a bit older than many modern amps, but the philosophy can be somehow considered the same: articulation, aggression, presence, articulation, tightness, articulation and some added articulation cause you never know.

Tone is irrelevant for the most part.

proxy likes this.
  19. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

That amp sounded amazing.

@Daniel55 you should probably keep that amp man, sounds wicked both clean and dirty. I am not too into high gain stuff anymore but that amp truly impressed me. Don't regret selling it for nothing, it maybe become extremely desirable one day.

fitz288 likes this.