Found out I have a bum ticker

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Maggot Brain, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Long time no see guys! Miss all of you around here and trying to take a step out of reality and spend some time here.

I've been so consumed with life I haven't played my guitar or done much of what I enjoy to do. I've been focused on my son and establishing him in the USA, his mother causing a mountain of stress and anxiety in my life... Lawyers, LE and Feds... anyways it's been taking a massive toll on me. I've had this occasional issue with feeling dizzy, short of breath, anxious with chest pain and racing heart rate... I figured smoking was catching up to me. I had a very stressful day and ended up having one of my episodes and it just would not go away as it normally did. I went into the ER and proceeded to experience the most intense experience of my life. I was told I was on the verge of a heart attack (I'm only 32) and was eventually diagnosed with Atrial Flutter. 3 days in the hospital and having my heart restarted by electroshock I'm feeling a little better.

I played my guitar for the first time yesterday in months and realized how important it truly is. I felt instant relief and escape, I lost touch with how I escaped the stresses of life in my teens and 20s with the guitar... It may truly safe my life.

Anyways, being 32 and having a heart disease is super disappointing. I am grateful that there is a highly successful surgey that can correct my flutter but damn... it's still intimidating.

Just venting! Don't mind me, you guys around here are pretty much the only friends I have these busy days. It's been way too long since I've been in and hung out with you guys! Hope everyone is doing well!

2. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Hey buddy, glad to hear you are OK. At least what you have is common and the doctors have a lot of experience fixing it. I was diagnosed last year with something that is almost identical, I don't remember exactly what the doctor called it but basically a racing heartbeat that comes on without warning and completely incapacitates me. Apparently I have an extra nerve in my heart, probably from birth. He said I had the option of either a pill (beta blocker) or surgery, I went with the pills.

Hang in there man, once fixed your life can change dramatically for the better! :thumb:

3. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

First off and foremost we couldn't be happier to see you back !!! We missed you too brother !!!!

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I can't imagine the kick in the gut that must be. Now I must say that my father has had the same diagnosis about 20 years ago and he's still with us alive and well and enjoying life. With medication he's feeling and looking great.

You can and I believe you will overcome this. Playing guitar and hanging out with us Heathen's should surely raise your spirits !!!

Welcome back !!!!

4. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Hang in there - sending positive vibes your way. Wife had something similar to what you describe that was corrected by a day procedure couple years back. We both have quit smoking since. The family stuff can be hard no doubt. Just keep doing your best for your son but take care of yourself too, bro!

5. Torren61

Torren61 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sorry to hear this. I hope you get better sooner.

6. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

glad your doing ok bro. take this stuff very seriously and do what they tell you to do bro.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  7. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Want to live longer? Tell the cigarettes to F the F off, right now. Toss them out and never take one more puff on them. Those things do NOTHING good for your body, least of all your heart and lungs.

Free of their damaging influence, your heart may be able to recover to a stronger, healthier state.

I lost two friends to heart disease. One was a lifelong smoker, and he "quit" several times but always went back to it. He was a good friend, but when it came to taking care of himself he was a rip-roaring DUMBASS. It was like he wanted to die fairly young because he feared getting old....but he denied himself many good years by not looking after his health.

The other never smoked a day in his life but his heart was damaged by a virus he contracted.

Old Punker and Maggot Brain like this.
  8. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

sorry to hear, but, glad you found it out & are doing ok...

I was just listening to a DR talk about heart stuff & he was saying to take some certain vitamins/herbs & that your heart would be restored from some ailments & at least healthier. I'll try & find it...

9. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Wow man, glad you are feeling better and there is a fix! I have been stressed lately and playing really helps, I need to do it more! Please stop smoking, maybe work out when you can and maybe do some meditation

10. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

Glad you're feeling better, bud. Missed you not being around. Hopefully all goes well as it seems it will.

:yesway::yesway:

11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

I hunted it down, but it was a long video, so I took a video w/ my phone, to edit it...

of course, my cat decided to tromp through my lap as I was filming it, so I moved around a bit & you see the mouse hand pop up, because she bumped it...

So, he says take a good dose of vitamins B-9 & B-12.

12. ricksdisconnected

thanks for posting this doom. they say vit C is huge too.
    said to be the reason dogs/animals dont get heart attacks is because their body makes the stuff to where ours dont.

13. ricksdisconnected

14. Dblgun

Dblgun Well-Known Member

Glad you caught it before you had the big one. Sounds like there is a plan to address what needs to be done, including some lifestyle changes. Stress is a big part of it so hope things smooth out for you.

15. Maggot Brain

Thanks man! I am responding well to my medication and realizing I'm starting to feel better than I have than in a long time. I believe I've always had this and a buddy really braught it to my attention. Back in our teens I would commonly have symptoms like I do know sometimes when we smoked pot. My heart would pound and I'd become extremely dizzy and the only relief was sitting or laying down.... Here I am 15 years later and experiencing the same symptoms but now without the weed.

The cardioversion was fantastic, I was intimidated from the moment they told me I needed it. They explained how I would be "sedated" and a tool would go down my throat so they could check my back Atrial valve for clots and then give my ticker a shock for a hard reboot. I was rolled into the room, rinsed my mouth with some lidocaine and had some hard-core pain killers shot into me... it felt like I blinked my eyes and they said it was complete... haha I was so stressed out and it was the easiest part of the experience and provided instant relief. Thank God for modern medicine and the incredible docs and nurses we have in the world.

Thanks for the support! I love all you guys!

Thanks bud! It's been too long and I needed to get my butt back in here! Now that this has all passed I couldn't be more relieved. This has been plaguing me for a long time and I knew deep down something was wrong with my heart but stubbornly wouldn't allow myself to accept it. I appreciate all the love, support and encouraging words. This experience has really opened my eyes to how important positive energy is.

To hear your father shares the same diagnosis and is doing great with the medication is extremely encouraging. I really appreciate you sharing that with me and is another piece of positivity to help restore my spirit and heal my body.

Thanks man! I feel those vibes!
    That is an extremely important aspect, quitting smoking. I have a new instilled fear for my heart and health and a new perspective. I am quitting smoking and cutting back my coffee/caffeine intake as well. My son is my motivation, I will prioritize my health now that I have this little wake up call... I no longer have that "I'm invincible" mindset. Ironically I never really realized I had it. It isn't like I actually thought "I'm invincible" but with this experience I realize looking back I never acknowledged how bad some things truly were for my health.

Thanks man! I appreciate your words and look forward to seeing you around the forum!

Will do Rick!
    It's been a massive wake up call and I couldn't be more grateful to be both alive AND at home.
    A lot of changes have and are happening.

Amen!
    This is such an important post for me and the exact feelings I came out of this with.

I struggled with quiting because I genuinely enjoyed smoking but this has giving me such a drastic realization of how STUPID it is. That moment of being rushed into the ER was like something in a movie or TV show. I had atleast 6 or 7 people surrounding and working on me as they rushed me into the room on a gurney. The reality sunk in when they attached defibrillator pads to me and explained to me they may have to use them... I realized then and there how STUPID it is to poison your heart... Your heart! Why would you poison it? Why do anything that can and will damage it? I was so mad at myself, here I am pleading to the universe for my heart to be ok when all these years I've been hurting my heart willingly and knowingly.

I had a boss, a great man that gave me more respect than I had for myself. He was an ex smoker with heart disease and he would always come and join us smokers outside. He would preach to us how stupid we were and nearly beg us to stop. He offered to pay each and every one of us $500 out of his own pocket to quit smoking. I never understood why he was so vigilant to get us to quit smoking but now I do. I realize now why he fought so hard to try and wake us up. He had been on our side, the ignorant smoker but also the side of someone with a heart disease. I understand him so much now and appreciate all the time and effort he spent on trying to get us to wake up. He unfortunately passed of a heart attack last year, he wasn't even retired a full year... RIP T.O.

I am down to 6 puffs in a 24 hour period and still tapering. I actually don't even crave the damn thing but do it because of the severe nicotine withdrawals I experienced. I can feel my tolerance dropping each day and feel I can jump off CT with manageable withdrawals in the next day or so. I truly can't wait for this chapter to be over and look forward to the road of recovery. I am so excited to heal my body and my heart from my cigarette smoking, I can't wait to see how much better I feel.

Thanks for your words! They really hit deep.

16. Maggot Brain

Thanks man! I am responding well to my medication and realizing I'm starting to feel better than I have than in a long time. I believe I've always had this and a buddy really braught it to my attention. Back in our teens I would commonly have symptoms like I do know sometimes when we smoked pot. My heart would pound and I'd become extremely dizzy and the only relief was sitting or laying down.... Here I am 15 years later and experiencing the same symptoms but now without the weed.

The cardioversion was fantastic, I was intimidated from the moment they told me I needed it. They explained how I would be "sedated" and a tool would go down my throat so they could check my back Atrial valve for clots and then give my ticker a shock for a hard reboot. I was rolled into the room, rinsed my mouth with some lidocaine and had some hard-core pain killers shot into me... it felt like I blinked my eyes and they said it was complete... haha I was so stressed out and it was the easiest part of the experience and provided instant relief. Thank God for modern medicine and the incredible docs and nurses we have in the world.

Thanks bud! It's been too long and I needed to get my butt back in here! Now that this has all passed I couldn't be more relieved. This has been plaguing me for a long time and I knew deep down something was wrong with my heart but stubbornly wouldn't allow myself to accept it. I appreciate all the love, support and encouraging words. This experience has really opened my eyes to how important positive energy is.

To hear your father shares the same diagnosis and is doing great with the medication is extremely encouraging. I really appreciate you sharing that with me and is another piece of positivity to help restore my spirit and heal my body.

That is an extremely important aspect, quitting smoking. I have a new instilled fear for my heart and health and a new perspective. I am quitting smoking and cutting back my coffee/caffeine intake as well. My son is my motivation, I will prioritize my health now that I have this little wake up call... I no longer have that "I'm invincible" mindset. Ironically I never really realized I had it. It isn't like I actually thought "I'm invincible" but with this experience I realize looking back I never acknowledged how bad some things truly were for my health.

Thanks man! I appreciate your words and look forward to seeing you around the forum!

Will do Rick!
    It's been a massive wake up call and I couldn't be more grateful to be both alive AND at home.

Amen!
    This is such an important post for me and the exact feelings I came out of this with.

I struggled with quiting because I genuinely enjoyed smoking but this has giving me such a drastic realization of how STUPID it is. That moment of being rushed into the ER was like something in a movie or TV show. I had atleast 6 or 7 people surrounding and working on me as they rushed me into the room on a gurney. The reality sunk in when they attached defibrillator pads to me and explained to me they may have to use them... I realized then and there how STUPID it is to poison your heart... Your heart! Why would you poison it? Why do anything that can and will damage it? I was so mad at myself, here I am pleading to the universe for my heart to be ok when all these years I've been hurting my heart willingly and knowingly.

I had a boss, a great man that gave me more respect than I had for myself. He was an ex smoker with heart disease and he would always come and join us smokers outside. He would preach to us how stupid we were and nearly beg us to stop. He offered to pay each and every one of us $500 out of his own pocket to quit smoking. I never understood why he was so vigilant to get us to quit smoking but now I do. I realize now why he fought so hard to try and wake us up. He had been on our side, the ignorant smoker but also the side of someone with a heart disease. I understand him so much now and appreciate all the time and effort he spent on trying to get us to wake up. He unfortunately passed of a heart attack last year, he wasn't even retired a full year... RIP T.O.

I am down to 6 puffs in a 24 hour period and still tapering. I actually don't even crave the damn thing but do it because of the severe nicotine withdrawals I experienced. I can feel my tolerance dropping each day and feel I can jump off CT with manageable withdrawals in the next day or so. I truly can't wait for this chapter to be over and look forward to the road of recovery. I am so excited to heal my body and my heart from my cigarette smoking, I can't wait to see how much better I feel.

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  17. Maggot Brain

Will do Rick!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. Maggot Brain

Amen!

19. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Take this advice: Don't taper off, just QUIT. Go cold turkey, as we say in the south.

The people I know who truly quit and never smoked again are the people who quit completely at a single moment.

People who taper off....they go back to smoking eventually. I personally know of not one person who tapered off,
    and stayed off the stuff. Eventually they ALL went back to sucking cancer's dick.

It's about strength of will. If you can stop NOW, you can stay away. My father quit cold in 1974 and never ever touched
    another one. To the day he died in 2008....of lung cancer and two other lung conditions...he said that the urge to smoke
    never entirely left him.

20. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Good luck with the smoking—I’ve been off em for 5mos now and it ain’t easy but you can do it.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.