Found Another Chassis For Restoration - Looking For Parts!

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by pleximaster, Apr 8, 2018.

1. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

E3900F8D-C035-43FC-8B5B-E5B6FB8EC7E9.jpeg 5E0597DC-65FA-4EB9-A3ED-B3664B6B8945.jpeg

I just bought another project chassis that burn and had a electrolyte explosion in the 80’s. The amp was never restored and used as a doner for other amps. It is missing transformer and the head shell cabinet.

I don’t know what’s missing on the board I have to check when it arrives. They are taken out in a sperate box.

Still being eager as I am I like to see if anyone got transformers or a cabinet?

Best regards plexi

jmp45, v846, C-Man and 4 others like this.
  2. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

Excellent! I love watching your restoration threads.

3. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

So it is a ‘65 Trem JTM45?
    Looks like the output selector is a later ‘brown’ wafer type, suggesting the original OT was a selector on side Drake -74 type but you could use a Drake -103 now with normal end bells. The PT would be a Drake -55 but an RS Heavy Duty would work and probably easier to find?
    Great project.
    I have an identical era PA chassis (only mine was missing choke and PT so it is getting an RS PT and probably a Metro -114 choke as as that seems to be nearest in looks to the original.

4. pleximaster

I don't really know what it is, I was guessing 66 early 67 the latest of the white back panels

It has unusual dual speaker out put jacks

I hope it will arrive this week he posted it from Norway Friday. I have bought stuff from him before, has a lot of old stuff but he is a player and not s collector and have been so since the 70’s. But you don’t really know what you will get!

It was however a no brainier it only costed me 4500 Norwegian crowns plus shipping and I’ll guess that’s what some charge for the Radiospare choke on top.

There is a guy here in Sweden that are selling a 74 50 watter in an old small box

Plexi

5. neikeel

I have a 65 box and need a 69 box

6. neikeel

But then isn’t the Trem chassis wider than a stock 45 is the headbox wider too??

7. danfrank

danfrank Well-Known Member

The back says ""Super-Trem AMplifier"... Wouldn't that make it 4 output tubes or the tremolo version of the JTM45/100?

EDIT: I see that it's a narrower chassis than the 45/100; like a JTM45. Did the JTM45s use the white back panel with the "Super Amplifier" on the back also? Please clarify as I don't know.
    Thanks

8. pleximaster

Neil

The trem 50 watt has a small box shell but the cut out is wider in the front.

I’d be interested in that 65 box

Dan
    The amp is only 50’watt two power tubes sockets, a rectifier tube not a hundred watt chassis too short.
    The trem logo I don’t know, worn out? There is no MK IV logo eitheR
    Worn off? Replaced back panel? But that seems like a lot of trouble

It is suppose by the seller to not have any extra holes in either panels or chassis

It will be really interesting to get my hands on it

Plexi

9. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

Just saying...if anyone is going to be cabinet building.....I need a back panel for a 71 smallbox. Let me know if a second can be built for me. Might save us both a couple bucks.

I was going to use mojo, but I hoped one of you Marshall guys would lend more authenticity to it.

10. pleximaster

I have found out as many amps Ive bought had the back panels missing (Probably lost in some rehearsal room decades ago that they are not totally standardised (Especially in the 60´s, amps made in the 70´s is probably more consistent.) Still holes for screws are all over the place so when making a new one make sure to drill holes to fit the shell.

I don´t know if Mojos backpanel retrofit good on 70 boxes. Perhaps someone here have experience? All I know is that an older back panel from Tubeampdoctor (That sells mojo parts) that I got on one vintage amp I bough was mad out of fibreboard and not plywood. I don't know if this was a Mojo part or not the seller just told me that he had purchased the backpanel from TAD.

I have made a few packpanels over the year, it is not that difficult using standard woodworking tools. I only have regular home tools for fixing stuff around the house. Just make sure that the backpanel is a bit smaller than the "hole" on the back of your box as the glue and vinyl actually make the panel a few mm wider (more than you might think) Meassure and measure again. I think mojo hav the mesh metal, vinyl sold separately.

A bit off topic
    In early 60´s the wooden cabinets seems to have been made for a specific chassis (Aluminium) as they varied somewhat in depth and width (Handmade) therefore there are variations on both chassis and box dimensions. Early amps have also very different vent cutouts sometimes it seems like they had some artistic freedom here. :)

best plexi

tomsvintage likes this.
  11. stratburst

stratburst Active Member

I recall reading somewhere that mid sixties cab construction was outsourced to different suppliers which would explain some variation in construction.

12. London John

London John Active Member

SB is correct, there were at least two cab suppliers for early heads.

13. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Well-Known Member

Congratulations !! I will ask around for some transformers.

14. pleximaster

20C7DA36-A587-4D04-A8CE-13886200EB7E.jpeg 2E9C3E98-42EE-4A1E-8765-5E1E7F505C15.jpeg 1ABC7DE7-5BF4-4BB8-B775-0709F06C1DEC.jpeg

Attached Files:

tomsvintage likes this.
  15. pleximaster

C2419127-034A-4DCA-A644-74E62BD36EE3.jpeg 423B09BE-ECF0-46FE-89A8-B582E7B5F660.jpeg found an old head cabinet locally. It was really dirty and I tried to clean it with vinyl cleaner and it got really messy. It had shoe polish or something on it...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Yamariv and tomsvintage like this.
  16. pleximaster

60024EAB-F7D0-42CC-B439-02991DB316D1.jpeg PostNord temporary lost the package but finally found it again! I got it and apart from som changes in the rear panel and the absence of transformers it looks good

I have injured my hand but still I manage to start putting in an 70s 139 transformer and started rebuilding the bias. I got an old drake hifi mains transformer that I will put in. I’ll try to start to get the amp up and running and then perhaps find original transformers if I feel it would benefit from that and depending on what I find.

Let’s see how the trem works on this one. I hate those they never work for me

TAZIN, tomsvintage and hazmat7719 like this.
  17. neikeel

Interesting - is that as it arrived or after some tidying?
    Unusual cap combination (grey couplers are usually 63 and a batch in late 67 and then the blue/greys in 69).
    Nice to see rest of it intact (pots, sockets and switches etc).
    Good luck with the trem!

18. pleximaster

I didnt touch mor than around the output and the bias, the blue Philips bias caps are my doing and NOS

I’d love to be able to take new better pics but I am unfortunately hospitalised again.

The grey caps looks original and the mustard caps on the trem board all date to 64 don’t remember more exactly

I think the impedance selector is mounted where the trem switch jack use to be and the placement of the trem switch jack now is a later addition. Former owner said it used to have EL34 so that could explain it. It probably originally had an OT for KT66 with a selector on the transformer it self and when changing transformer to an EL34 one the chassis mounted selector was added and for some reson the trem jack moved (the length of the wires on the transformer?)

I am waiting for an operation but it’s being delayed all the time...

Nice to have the forum to keep the time flying! :)

Plexi

19. pleximaster

One thing I remove to straiten out the soldering legs is the 3rd 0.1uf cap with is a small bownish kind not a cylindrical but the rectangular box type

20. neikeel

Oh, that is interesting, as you know you often see that type of cap on the 63/64s in the PI and on presence pot.
    Good luck with your op.

pleximaster likes this.