For those of you who own Marshall 2203 master volumes, where do you keep your settings?

EADGBE

Reaction score
Where do you like your pre-amp, presence, bass, middle and treble?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Totally depends on what sound I want. For AC/DC riffs, or something in that general vicinity, I run TMB all at 3, presence no higher than halfway, preamp halfway, master around 6. I may run TMB higher. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the big picture, but it does give the amp more drive.

For higher gain I dime everything but presence and master.

jimmyo

Reaction score
All the eq controls pretty much at noon. Preamp to the right at 3 o’clock, but not maxed. Volume as high as possible. Boss Sd1 or Maxon 808 for extra gain/compression on solos. Les Paul into the front end. Clean level boost pedal in loop for solo volume boost. Wind down the guitar volume for ‘cleans’.

Emiel

Reaction score
I don't own a 2203/2204 right now but I usually end up with the same settings as Pete Thorn in the video below. This is with a cab with Greenbacks, with G12T-75 or similar bright speakers you definitely want to run presence and treble a bit lower.

Presence - Just turn the dial back and forth and hear when the effect kicks in. That's generally where you want to set each control.
Bass - Start with zero and gradually dial it in until the sound thickens up.
Middle - Don't run it too low, or you'll lose punch. 5 or 6 is usually in the ballpark with these amps.
Treble - Usually you can get away with lower settings (below noon) as the middle control is effectively a brightness control.
Master - 3 and above, below the amp will sound a bit too bright and thin.
Preamp - Right where you can hear the gain and low end coming in, this is usually round 6 or 7.

JBA

Reaction score
Where do you like your pre-amp, presence, bass, middle and treble?
Like as in keep them at one favourite setting? :shock:
I have favourite tones I like to get out of mine. Im all over the map adjusting to get those depending on which guitar, cab, song, lead/Ryth, or boost/distortion (+other effects) I’m running. I don’t play out with this pig otherwise that would change things. This amp is just for me, I run very few pedals on it and it’s the only amp I don’t use multi effect pedals on. It’s my tone anchor.. both for reference and by weight lol.

Latest posts