Flanger recommendations

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by FleshOnGear, Nov 14, 2020.

1. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

Hey, I’m looking to replace my Source Audio Orbital modulator with stuff that doesn’t suck. Specifically, I’m looking for a flanger that doesn’t get lost with a little bit of distortion. I’m not picky about analog or digital, but a killer thru-zero flange would be nice. Right now I’m considering the Earthquakes Pyramids, but looking for recommendations. Thanks!

2. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

The EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress analog flanger is my go to until I get acclimated to the Flanger Hoax. It has controls for Color, Range, and Depth as well as a Filter Matrix switch to lock the sweep, and has true bypass, and Dry and Flanger outputs.

https://www.ehx.com/products/deluxe-electric-mistress-xo

StratoMarshall likes this.
  3. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

This is mine and IMO, it's a great flanger...

BOSS BF-2 (1).jpg

4. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Ibanez FL9 has that "classic" jet engine sound thing goin on. Pure 80's flange.

Sapient and Phony iommi like this.
  5. Ray Baker

Ray Baker Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

Not sure what style music your playing, For my Randy Rhoads , Van Halen / 80's stuff I use an old 110v MXR. If you look at my photo posted in Full Stack Friday you can make out on two of my other pedal boards a MXR that has the removable plug (9v type) and on another board a Boss. They are both great flangers. I get all my distortion from the amps except the JMP Mark II Superlead, I get it from the MXR Distortion+ on that set-up. They never get lost in any amount of distortion, the effect clearly stands out. They are all I have ever used so it's all I can offer but I have had them all since they were new and are 100% reliable.
    Randy Rhoads Board-1.jpg

6. Sapient

Sapient Life Coach & Birthday       Planner Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

flange.png flanger.png

Your pick. Can't go wrong either way.

7. Australian

Australian Green Beret Silver Supporting Member VIP Member

yep its the 70’s MXR flanger best one I’ve used.

8. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

This is what i use and works very well .

Ray Baker and mirrorman like this.
  9. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I'll second that. That's what I have as well.

mirrorman likes this.
  10. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

I had a couple vintage MXR flangers and they were great! I like them better than the BOSS BF-2 even though the BOSS is still good.

zachman and Ray Baker like this.
  11. Delete!!

Delete!! Well-Known Member

I recently purchased the new Ibanez Mini Flanger and it now has a permanent place on my board. It’s analog and is based on the FL9. I owned an FL9 years ago and the mini does a great job of capturing that distinct “80’s” flange tone.

I am using mine as more of a “chorus” effect, with just a little resonance added in for some extra movement. I prefer using a flanger this way as it kind of mixes the best of chorus and flange. It’s not as over the top as the jet-plane sound, but it’s much more interesting than a straight chorus pedal. I use it clean with compression for 80’s pop sounds and I use it with overdrive for some Howard Leese (Heart) kind of tones.

I love the new Ibanez Mini Flanger and highly recommend it. It’s made in Japan and just nails the classic sounds. It may not be quite as extreme as the MXR or some variants, but the tone is amazing and the unit sounds great.

12. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

The Electric Mistress is a great flanger, but it drops volume. I find that's lessened when in front of the amp but you may still need to boost it. Little bit noisy in front of my JVM, bit of a tone drop also. But I personally just want my cable in front of the amp pedal free, unless I'm going to be running a super long cable, in which case I'd need a buffer, not TB(and TB pedals still slightly alter tone IMO)

The MXR original has a buffer that does indeed suck tone. The mini version is TB, but has less controls.

I have my eyes on a Maxon Flanger which is TB and subtle, so you may find that suitable for gain.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  13. Australian

Australian Green Beret Silver Supporting Member VIP Member

The yellow one is more musical in my opinion. I nearly cried when the footswitch on mine packed it in. I’m using the purple on my board atm but still long for the Ibanez yellow.

14. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

The mxr micro flanger sounds really good.'Kinda dark,but a warm dark.Decent price too.

15. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

First Flanger I ever heard, and all the ones I've heard since sound like "me-toos"
    Screenshot_20201122-121758~01~01.png

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  16. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

I just pulled the trigger on a vintage A/DA. Can’t wait to plug it up!

Trelwheen likes this.
  17. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

IMO Best choice for a real flanger. It is the equivalent to a Boss Chorus-Ensemble or a t.c. electronic Stereo Chorus + Pitch Modulator & Flanger or a Uni-vibe, in terms of thickness and wetness.
    I have an original with the original expression pedal. Not necessary, but the newer one can be found if you wanted the complete setup.

Trelwheen likes this.