Fking Craigslist (slight return)

Derrick111

Reaction score
my logic is just like a grocery store or any retail chain, you try to get your product seen by as many eyes. Should people be pissed if they goto Guitar Center and have to walk past the keyboard section or drum section when they are looking for a guitar? It's Guitar Center not Every Instrument Center so would it be logical for people to be pissed non guitar related items are in the way?
Well, this kinda sounds like justification. I don't think it is at all like a grocery store at all... When I ask a clerk where the Spam lunch meat is, I don't expect them to first walk me past sales in the dairy department, then new items in the seasonal section, then the fresh vegetables before he brings me to the Spam lunch meat. Literally walking past other items is not the same thing at all, just like the tree I walked by outside the store doesn't piss me off.

Now I do see the negative side, if every single person did it then it would make the search function almost useless, I get it but I'm just one guy with a random scenario. How many people are going to search specifically for my exact offer/trade... Odds are someone maybe interested in my trade even that aren't actively looking for it.
No, believe me... you are not just one guy, and it is not at all a random scenario. :D

colchar

Reaction score
Idk my logic is just like a grocery store or any retail chain, you try to get your product seen by as many eyes.

Here is an example of what I take issue with. I did a search on that Canadian site (Kijiji) for Orange amps (not really looking for one since I have an AD30, I was just curious). There is a company up here that plasters their ads all over that site by using 100 tags per post, so pretty much no matter what you search for you are forced to wade through all of their shit. You're the same as them.

Here are the results of my search:

Notice how much other crap came up? Is it any wonder many of us get pissed off at people who use every tag imaginable in order to force their gear to show up in our searches no matter what we might actually be searching for?

Here is the list of tags that store puts in their ads (shockingly the dumb fucks missed 'Marshall'):
Ableton , Akai , AKG , Alesis , Allen &Heath , Alpine ,Alto , AmericanAudio , American DJ, Ampeg , AMX , Apex,Art , Ashly , Audio-Technica , Audix , Auratone , BeatBuddy , Behringer , Beyerdynamic , Big Dipper , Boss , Bugera , CAD, Chauvet , Crown,DBX , DeanMarkley , Deck Saver , Denon , Dynaudio , Elation , Electrix , Elixir , Erikson Pro, Ernie Ball , ESP ltd. , EV , Fbt Focus-9 , Focusrite , Francis , Gator , Ghs , Gibraltar , Guitar Grip, Hercules , Hosa , banez Jamhub Jasmine Jay Turser JBL Jem Pro K&M Kat Korg KRK Levy Lexicon Line-6 Lumidesk M-Audio Mackie Marantz Microh DJ Microh Pro Midas Mipro Mooer MotionScreens NativeInstruments Neumann Neutrik Numark Odyssey On-Stage Orange Palmer Panasonic Peavey PercussionPlus Presonus Primacoustic Pro audiospecials Profile QuikLok Radial RCF Reloop Remo ResidentAudio RME Rode Roland Rolls Samson Sennheiser Shure SM Pro Snark Soundcraft Stageline Stagg Stand's Stanton Takamine TANNOY Tascam TC-Electronic TC-Helicon The ScreenWorks ToneBone Tour Truss Turbosound UltimateSupport Ultrasone Vater Vic Firth Westone Wharfedale Xvive Yorkville

In the guitars section they will do the same thing, but this time listing every guitar make and model you can possibly think of, all in an effort to force their listings to appear in every search possible.

Are you starting to see why we might get pissed off by this shit?

Odds are someone maybe interested in my trade even that aren't actively looking for it.

Yeah, cause the guy looking to buy an amp is going to say fuck it and not buy it because he saw your ad for the Strat you're offloading.

Stop trying to rationalize it and just accept that it is selfish, and is irritating as fuck to other people.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Well, like you said MB, life is too short. That's why I get pissed when I have to wade through stuff that has nothing to do with my search.

In a way, I'm lucky that I live in a small town so there really isn't much of that happening here so it's not a big deal. On the other hand there ain't crap for sale and there are hardly any buyers for anything.

Again though, I see no reason for that person to get so wound up that they would ambush you the way they did.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get to here, is that I have 50 one gallon cans of tuna that expire in two months that I can trade you for whatever guitars and amps you're trying to unload. I don't want any low end stuff though, only mid tier or high end.

If need be, I'm willing to throw in a couple of coffee cans full of old miscellaneous nuts and bolts but I'd need a bit of cash back if you want them both full.

So how 'bout it? :naughty:

Last edited:

jchrisf

Reaction score
Yeah, I've noticed on TGP that gear is sitting in the classified area forever. That stuff used to get bought up quick.
I'm hearing a lot of companies are getting ready to start layoffs so we are probably heading towards a full blown recession. Things might get cheap after that.

Derrick111

Reaction score
Things might get cheap after that.
There will always be a enough people with money, even when a good number of people fall down on their luck. Prices will not get low enough to be "cheap" because those who still have money will be there quick to get the item before the next guy. I saw it in the crisis of 2008, I saw it in the pandemic. You will see it in the next wave of shit too...

jchrisf

Reaction score
There will always be a enough people with money, even when a good number of people fall down on their luck. Prices will not get low enough to be "cheap" because those who still have money will be there quick to get the item before the next guy. I saw it in the crisis of 2008, I saw it in the pandemic. You will see it in the next wave of shit too...
We will see

Crikey

Reaction score
CL used be the easy button to sell stuff. It's a sketchy site these days.!
Now its a toss up between the hateful competition or the pickles trying to get a piece. Its a pretty horrible platform ,and the site lags bft.
New breed of scammers , they list a $1600 jcm 800 head......and plays it out ,soundiing legitimate. Only problem is, the amp doesnt exist, and ( they ) know you are showing up with at least $ 1600 cash.

The cure >>>>>>>>
Or , a deterrent ,.......depending how ballsy they are.
View attachment 113544
Web pic, used for illustration only .
:)
Strap up and meet them to see the amp in popo parking lot.
Thats where i do my dealing

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Very rarely have I used craigslist, but I responded to a couple of ads this week that reminded me of why I hate it. It's people who DON'T RESPOND.

On one, I asked a couple of simple questions. No response.

On another one that was asking for trades, I offered a trade. No response.

Both could have been answered very quickly and easily, but instead, they chose to ignore.

Derrick111

Reaction score
Very rarely have I used craigslist, but I responded to a couple of ads this week that reminded me of why I hate it. It's people who DON'T RESPOND.

On one, I asked a couple of simple questions. No response.

On another one that was asking for trades, I offered a trade. No response.

Both could have been answered very quickly and easily, but instead, they chose to ignore.
To be fair to CL, that happens on many/most selling platforms now... just some more than others. To your point though, CL prabably is the worst for that.

Latest posts