Fking Craigslist (slight return)

Derrick111

Reaction score
I'm pretty much done with this platform...

I use tags and a lot of them, why? Because I have learned over the years that 90% of the time I can list something and it sits for weeks or months at a time without a peep. I add a crap ton of general guitar related tags and get a substantial amount of serious inquiries. Lately there is a maniac that has nothing better to do than reply to my ads being aggressive, threatening and 100% sketchy/unstable regarding my use of tags.

I am not trying to start anything or have any attitude, but you did ask so I am going to be honest here...

As someone who shops CL, it is extremely annoying to have every last one of my searches filled with garbage I am not looking for. Honestly, I see it as pretty selfish when people choose to effect all the searches in a category with their stuff in the hopes that it makes a difference just for them. It's not a matter of searching "Stratocaster" and seeing a "Les Paul" ad show up amongst the search so you just keep scrolling past it. It's usually a crap ton of items, and since there are so many key words, they probably show up for all searches in a music category. I completely see his point. There is a clown around here who has like 50 key words and usually no less that about 30 items that end up in EVERY music relates search. It's not a matter of scrolling past one Les Paul ad, it's a matter of scrolling past 30 or so ads for each search I am likely do to. I mean, you design the key words to do that right? That is the point of your key words here. Again, not throwing shade at you, but put yourself in other people's shoes here...

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I am not trying to start anything or have any attitude, but you did ask so I am going to be honest here...

As someone who shops CL, it is extremely annoying to have every last one of my searches filled with garbage I am not looking for. Honestly, I see it as pretty selfish when people choose to effect all the searches in a category with their stuff in the hopes that it makes a difference just for them. It's not a matter of searching "Stratocaster" and seeing a "Les Paul" ad show up amongst the search so you just keep scrolling past it. It's usually a crap ton of items, and since there are so many key words, they probably show up for all searches in a music category. I completely see his point. There is a clown around here who has like 50 key words and usually no less that about 30 items that end up in EVERY music relates search. It's not a matter of scrolling past one Les Paul ad, it's a matter of scrolling past 30 or so ads for each search I am likely do to. I mean, you design the key words to do that right? That is the point of your key words here. Again, not throwing shade at you, but put yourself in other people's shoes here...
Agreed. It's like when people on eBay title their ads like:

"Gorilla amp not Marshall Soldano Fender Bogner Line 6 Peavey or Randall!"

colchar

Reaction score
Now that’s a good idea the Police came up with…wow!

Some poor guy who lived about an hour away from here was murdered in a thrill killing by someone who claimed to be checking out a truck he was selling. The cops might have had the sections in their parking lots before then, but they definitely advertised them more after that murder.

I used one the other day. I was selling an acoustic and both the buyer and myself thought it safest to meet there because it was a $3000 guitar. We had to hang there a while waiting for his e-transfer to process into my account, and the cops were totally cool with it.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
That would help for certain sales, though automobiles can have their vins# ran on the spot.

Little tricky to test a marshall amp in the popo parking lot.

Other small sale may work though.

I've tried the other sites, unfortunately every site pales in comparison to CL......or used to. I don't do FB, so marketplace is out due to that factor.

Magtr1

Reaction score
I'm pretty much done with this platform, I was lucky for like 15 years of never running into a weirdo or a legit time waster but lately that seems to be the only people I'm running into these days.

I use tags and a lot of them, why? Because I have learned over the years that 90% of the time I can list something and it sits for weeks or months at a time without a peep. I add a crap ton of general guitar related tags and get a substantial amount of serious inquiries. Lately there is a maniac that has nothing better to do than reply to my ads being aggressive, threatening and 100% sketchy/unstable regarding my use of tags. He will literally email me ALL day long and post multiple listings himself complaining about anyone's use of tags. I'm now thinking of just removing my shit and sell it somewhere else as I don't trust that this idiot could go as far as to pretend to be an interested party and ambush me... The dude is that fucking angry about it and sends me countless threats.

I get it, it maybe annoying searching "stratocaster" and seeing a "Les Paul" ad show up amongst the search but you know what? Just keep scrolling past it, so damn simple. He then emails me irate that he flagged my post and I "reposted it" even tho it was never taken down to begin with, I've never had a post removed.

I swear man, people have 0 life if they get so angry over something that absolutely does not directly affect them and they can simply ignore or is just mentally unstable... Sketchy af.

Just venting, the older I get the more of a misanthrope I become.
Yeah there are a lot of flaky and wacky people on CL, you just have to be careful. But it's still a great place to find deals, if you know what you're looking for. Besides guitars, amps and other music gear, I've bought and sold a lot of kayaks, found building materials for home projects cheap or free, and other stuff.
And I never use tags 😁

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there might not be a profitable business model for setting up a small shop where all you do is serve as a neutral ground and safe space to exchange goods in a CL type deal. Charge a few bucks for the service and provide power for whatever needs testing.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have dealt with a few morons on CL
But for the most part, I have had very good luck both buying and selling..
And yes I invite them to come to my garage and cash rules, everything thing else can just take a hike. I have met some cool people as well.. and I never have used a tag on any of my listings.

Cheers

10kDA

Reaction score
This thread is making me nervous. I have not sold anything in public for about 5 or 6 years.
I'm in the same situation. Reading some members' posts makes it seem pretty discouraging. How did selling gear get to be so, I don't know, not difficult... problematic?

Not to hijack the intent of the thread, but it's as if selling music gear on CL is now on a par with finding band members on CL.

66 galaxie

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation. Reading some members' posts makes it seem pretty discouraging. How did selling gear get to be so, I don't know, not difficult... problematic?

Not to hijack the intent of the thread, but it's as if selling music gear on CL is now on a par with finding band members on CL.
I hope we arent hijacking... I thought it was more like participation... I could be wrong.

10kDA

Reaction score
I hope we arent hijacking... I thought it was more like participation... I could be wrong.
I was the one who brought up personnel. I think you're good.

In other news, this happened a few years back , in a CL sale gone wrong at a SafeTrade location outside a cop shop:

I couldn't find the followup story with more detail. The shooter got off because the guy he shot pulled a gun first. You can't be too careful.

colchar

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there might not be a profitable business model for setting up a small shop where all you do is serve as a neutral ground and safe space to exchange goods in a CL type deal. Charge a few bucks for the service and provide power for whatever needs testing.

Someone who ends up unhappy with a purchase would include you in the lawsuit for facilitating the deal, because people suck. Otherwise a good idea though.

Derrick111

Reaction score
Someone who ends up unhappy with a purchase would include you in the lawsuit for facilitating the deal, because people suck. Otherwise a good idea though.
make them sign a waver indemnifying you from any liability. Done.
My last CL deal was to buy a 1960B cabinet in very nearly brand new condition. It went smoothly. We met up half way (about an hour's drive for each of us) and it was a perfectly good deal for both of us.
I think all this time quarantining during covid has made some people think the sky is falling around them. There have and always will be some crazies, but by in large, I don't think dealing in CL at present is any different than it was 10 years or so ago. Even 10 years ago you had to be smart like you have to be today. If the world today frightens you, then use eBay or Reverb. No shame in that.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Well my tags worked and accomplished what I was after, So hopefully won't have to deal with selling gear for awhile.

Over on a Canadian guitar forum there is a thread dedicated to fucked up Kijiji ads (basically the same as Craiglist but Canadian and owned, I think, by ebay). Most are posted for a laugh, some are posted because they piss people off. Your posts would be all over that thread because they piss people off.

People who post multiple tags naming every gear manufacturer they can think of are assholes, because doing so fucks up everyone else's searches. Guess what - the person searching for a JMP isn't going to change his mind and buy your DSL 5 or MIM Strat because they showed up in a search. Trust me, nobody thinks "I was going to buy a vintage Marshall but thank god this guy's DSL 5 showed up in my search because I'll buy that instead!"

If your ads are constantly fucking up someone else's searches I am not surprised that he would get pissed off. Market your ads directly to the audience you are aiming at, don't just throw shit at the wall hoping some will stick because nobody else likes getting caught up in your shit.
I get where you and others are coming from about tags but at the same time it has worked for me. I see it from a different perspective because not everytime I'm on CL am I searching something extremely specific, eg searching "strat" and seeing a pedal or amp I forgot I would like to own etc but haven't even thought about searching for it. Scrolling thru EVERYTHING can be daunting when you are just trying to find cool stuff.

My situation is with a speaker trade, odds are someone out there has extra speakers laying around or a cab they don't use but aren't actively looking to sell or trade it. They look for something specific in the search and yeah see my ad to trade speakers and go "oh far out, I have one of those laying around collecting dust".

Idk imo life's too short to get annoyed or pissed off by the internet 🤷‍♂️

Again I see both sides, a guitar shop down south of me puts every music tag on EVERY posting they make and they have a gang of them... Yeah I can see that.
I tend to agree. It's one thing to use the relevant tags, but another to use every music-related tag available.
Yeah relevant to me is guitar tags, see above about my logic.

Yeah, I've been using CL for what? 15 or so years and see it all the time and never got annoyed, pissed or thought anything other than it was smart. Idk my logic is just like a grocery store or any retail chain, you try to get your product seen by as many eyes. Should people be pissed if they goto Guitar Center and have to walk past the keyboard section or drum section when they are looking for a guitar? It's Guitar Center not Every Instrument Center so would it be logical for people to be pissed non guitar related items are in the way?

Now I do see the negative side, if every single person did it then it would make the search function almost useless, I get it but I'm just one guy with a random scenario. How many people are going to search specifically for my exact offer/trade... Odds are someone maybe interested in my trade even that aren't actively looking for it.

I've been offered a meat slicer, shotguns, a boat motor that was in boxes, and a canoe for guitars and amps..I mean at least make a trade offer in the same category ffs.
Haha oh man... I've been offered crazy irrelevant stuff over the years. Guns (sketchy imo) hobby cars, comic books, clothing, a MX in pieces, lawn equipment... I laugh at how desperate people get to try to snag a piece of gear they have no money for... A for effort and the laugh.

Nah man, I'd say 98% of my CL encounters over the past 15 years have been completely fine and I've met some really cool cats. I'm just on a streak for weirdos lately... One recently turned out to not be a weirdo so I judged too soon, shame on me.
make them sign a waver indemnifying you from any liability. Done.

I think all this time quarantining during covid has made some people think the sky is falling around them. There have and always will be some crazies, but by in large, I don't think dealing in CL at present is any different than it was 10 years or so ago. Even 10 years ago you had to be smart like you have to be today. If the world today frightens you, then use eBay or Reverb. No shame in that.
I agree 👍

Latest posts