Fking Craigslist (slight return)

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I'm pretty much done with this platform, I was lucky for like 15 years of never running into a weirdo or a legit time waster but lately that seems to be the only people I'm running into these days.

I use tags and a lot of them, why? Because I have learned over the years that 90% of the time I can list something and it sits for weeks or months at a time without a peep. I add a crap ton of general guitar related tags and get a substantial amount of serious inquiries. Lately there is a maniac that has nothing better to do than reply to my ads being aggressive, threatening and 100% sketchy/unstable regarding my use of tags. He will literally email me ALL day long and post multiple listings himself complaining about anyone's use of tags. I'm now thinking of just removing my shit and sell it somewhere else as I don't trust that this idiot could go as far as to pretend to be an interested party and ambush me... The dude is that fucking angry about it and sends me countless threats.

I get it, it maybe annoying searching "stratocaster" and seeing a "Les Paul" ad show up amongst the search but you know what? Just keep scrolling past it, so damn simple. He then emails me irate that he flagged my post and I "reposted it" even tho it was never taken down to begin with, I've never had a post removed.

I swear man, people have 0 life if they get so angry over something that absolutely does not directly affect them and they can simply ignore or is just mentally unstable... Sketchy af.

Just venting, the older I get the more of a misanthrope I become.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Well...under certain circumstances I can see that as being annoying but nothing to flip out over.

I think you have the right idea about how to deal with that maniac.

CL pisses me off because of how many people list stuff and never respond to my inquiry or ghost me after telling me we can meet up without providing a day and time.

I've been eying a decent DJ setup locally to use as a stereo (lol). Really want it but doesn't seem I'll get it due to the above stated reason. Apparently dude isn't too interested in selling. :shrug:

You know what to do. Play it safe man.

Cheers

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Well...under certain circumstances I can see that as being annoying but nothing to flip out over.

I think you have the right idea about how to deal with that maniac.

CL pisses me off because of how many people list stuff and never respond to my inquiry or ghost me after telling me we can meet up without providing a day and time.

I've been eying a decent DJ setup locally to use as a stereo (lol). Really want it but doesn't seem I'll get it due to the above stated reason. Apparently dude isn't too interested in selling. :shrug:

You know what to do. Play it safe man.

Cheers
Yeah man I can definitely understand it being annoying to some but on the flip side I've found numerous items this way that I would have never had come across otherwise. I have never been annoyed by any ad on CL because it's the general public and imo it's to be expected, it's a free service and a luxury not a privilege.

I've too experienced not getting responses from sellers even tho I offer their full asking price and ready to buy. I just move on and again chalk it down to "people" and CL but it is extremely confusing, especially when you don't get a response and the ad gets reposted thru the month etc... I just have to assume it has to do with spam blockers or something.

Unfortunately C. .l. is the only place you can sell anymore and not get taxed on gear you've already paid tax on.
Exactly! I've stopped using FB market place as even that wants my SSN for tax reasons... FK that! Not giving FB anymore information, especially something like that.

Guitar Center also just stopped buying used gear, atleast all my local ones. I spoke with the store manager for a few minutes and he said people are just not buying anything other than accessories and strings. He said he has no idea how long it will be for but what he gathered it will be away as GC corporate was saying they bought way too much used gear during the supply shortage during covid. It sucks because GC was giving me pretty damb impressive cash value considering. My LGS really low balls so I refused to do any trading or selling with them anymore.

Inflation is insane and no one is buying anything... Crazy times man.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
CL used be the easy button to sell stuff. It's a sketchy site these days.!
Now its a toss up between the hateful competition or the pickles trying to get a piece. Its a pretty horrible platform ,and the site lags bft.
New breed of scammers , they list a $1600 jcm 800 head......and plays it out ,soundiing legitimate. Only problem is, the amp doesnt exist, and ( they ) know you are showing up with at least $ 1600 cash.

The cure >>>>>>>>
Or , a deterrent ,.......depending how ballsy they are.
scene-1911TMC466-Turnbull-Model-1911-C004_IMG_9602-for-RAW-scaled.jpg
Web pic, used for illustration only .
:)

Last edited:

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Seriously, this day and age it's almost a necessity if you want to have a slightest chance at fending off a crazy.

I almost forgot about that lunatic I traded the Charvel for a bike... Dude harrased me even months after. Worse is he lives in the next town and I still see him out in public as my town has the closest grocery and general goods stores... He hasn't said shit to me in person.

If it weren't the only real non taxed selling method I'd never sell on CL again.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
what about offerup, or the FB marketplace?
Yeah, offer up is a possibility but every time I've used it I got more flakes than any other platform. I haven't successfully sold a single thing on offer up despite trying quite a few times, every single inquiry was a straight up joke of a low ball "hey your amplifier is listed at $300 and is $200 below market value but will you take $20 in crusty pennies and a broken gas powered weed eater?".

Tho I just realized it would be fun to troll this crazy guy with ads with straight up conpletely unrelated tags, give himself an aneurysm 😄

KraftyBob

Reaction score
So tired of people ghosting or not responding to their own ads. I had a guy harass me once saying my posting was from India and I was a scammer. I was like WTF? Also had a dude trying to convince me to trade when I said I’m not doing trades. Finally I said “ ok I’ll trade you. You sell your guitar and I’ll trade you my amp for your cash.” Didn’t hear back after that.

Last edited:

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
FB needs ssn# ?
lol , for tax purposes, or the next fb data breach?

FBM is way too intrusive ,and exploits ppl everyday for their gain. FB is only there to solve crimes for the popo.
I think Zuckerturd needs to be investigated.
They want it for marketplace, iirc anything over $600 gets taxed. Just wait, they'll be taxing garage sales and lemonade stands too.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
The days of inviting someone over to your home for a sale are long gone, but I don’t see any harm in meeting someone in public. I haven’t sold anything on there in a number of years, but toward the end, I was just meeting people in public (like the lobby of a bank).

As for the guy harassing you, is there an option to report him for harassment? I‘m pretty sure CL got into some trouble for facilitating human trafficking years ago, so it could very well be that they are sensitive to anyone creating a hostile / potentially unsafe environment.

As for mislabeling items with random tags … well, yeah, I can see how that’d be kind of annoying. If I’m looking for a Marshall amp, and someone uses the Marshall tag for a completely different manufacturer, it only clutters the listings. I wouldn’t go on a mission harassing the guy over it, but I’d probably think he was kind of sketchy and ignore his listings tbh.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I'm pretty much done with this platform, I was lucky for like 15 years of never running into a weirdo or a legit time waster but lately that seems to be the only people I'm running into these days.

I use tags and a lot of them, why? Because I have learned over the years that 90% of the time I can list something and it sits for weeks or months at a time without a peep. I add a crap ton of general guitar related tags and get a substantial amount of serious inquiries. Lately there is a maniac that has nothing better to do than reply to my ads being aggressive, threatening and 100% sketchy/unstable regarding my use of tags. He will literally email me ALL day long and post multiple listings himself complaining about anyone's use of tags. I'm now thinking of just removing my shit and sell it somewhere else as I don't trust that this idiot could go as far as to pretend to be an interested party and ambush me... The dude is that fucking angry about it and sends me countless threats.

I get it, it maybe annoying searching "stratocaster" and seeing a "Les Paul" ad show up amongst the search but you know what? Just keep scrolling past it, so damn simple. He then emails me irate that he flagged my post and I "reposted it" even tho it was never taken down to begin with, I've never had a post removed.

I swear man, people have 0 life if they get so angry over something that absolutely does not directly affect them and they can simply ignore or is just mentally unstable... Sketchy af.

Just venting, the older I get the more of a misanthrope I become.

Can't you report this assh-le?

MarshallDog

Reaction score
They want it for marketplace, iirc anything over $600 gets taxed. Just wait, they'll be taxing garage sales and lemonade stands too.
Yup, we have two little girls down the street that sell lemonade on hot days, so cute. These pathetic assh-les we have will probably find a way to tax them also, its just a matter of time.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
I reported the guy harassing me about being a scammer from India - not sure what, if anything happened. If I meet up with someone I request we meet at our police department. They have a few parking spaces designated for child transfer (divorced parents) and internet sales that are monitored with a camera. If I sell an amp and the person requests to try it first - which I understand - I set it up in my garage (no matter the weather) and tell them to bring their own guitar.

Latest posts