Fixed up an old Rockmaster preamp...digging it

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Riffraff, May 30, 2020.

1. Riffraff

Riffraff Well-Known Member

I picked up a Rockmaster preamp a few months ago that needed some work. It had a lot of crackly static noise, was cutting out and had major switching problems. I gave all of the jacks and the contacts in them a thorough cleaning, replaced all of the old relays, replaced the missing rack ears, replaced a broken bass pot in the Clean section and put all new knobs on it since it was missing all but a couple. I never tried one of these back when they were popular but I'm loving it now. I've been bitten by a vintage rack gear bug the last few months. I have a Lexicon MPX1 on the way to me now and have to pull my old Valve FX out of the rack to make room for it. This madness has to stop. :lol:

Anyway, I figured out how to use my Ditto Looper with it today by running the Ditto through a rack line mixer. It's a blast. Here's the clip recorded live caveman style with a Jamman Looper pedal and a SM57 then married to some pictures with some crappy slide show software. The guitar was a MIM Tele. Excuse the wankery and over bends. :facepalm: I was just marveling at the tone and got carried away. I need to stop buying rack crap and invest in a proper DAW rig. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Trelwheen, AlvisX, tschrama and 2 others like this.
  2. shooto

shooto Well-Known Member

I love that preamp...I could coax some really great low-mid creaminess that still cut through the mix like nothing else...

ive been looking for a deal on another for awhile...cheers!

3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

you can find the heads quite often pretty cheap...

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

I have one that I bought new in the early 90s, it was part of my gigging rig and has seen a LOT of use. Great preamp for crunch and dirty tones, but the clean channel is pretty anemic. I think Peavey was trying to make that channel sound like a Backstage or something...

5. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member

i have one of these in my rack too but I haven't plugged it in in years.

Mine never sounded as good as yours though. Lol.
    Great playing !!!!!

Riffraff likes this.
  6. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Gotta love the obsolete Peavey rack stuff !!
    I got this TB Raxx bass preamp cheap,to go with my $80 Marshall IBS head. Supposedly the difference between this and the TG Raxx (guitar version) is a couple cap values

There's a lotta folks won't buy it if it says "Peavey", but I one .......

[​IMG]

Riffraff, Dogs of Doom and Frodebro like this.
  7. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Caveman , my favorite ! Lol
    Well done !

Riffraff likes this.
  8. Riffraff

I was one of those anti Peavey snobs once. It came from growing up playing in the '70s when Peavey was selling amps with SS front ends and tube power sections. I had a friend that had one back in high school and hated the OD tones from his amp. I was young and dumb and thought that's what a Peavey sounds like. Now I have a few Peaveys in my stash, this preamp, a Delta Blues 115 and a 6505+ head. All good stuff.

9. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Sounds great, nice playing sir!
    I had one of those back when they first came out. Unfortunately back then I didn't amplify it with a proper amp :)
    Your next logical step forward is to experiment with different power amps. That part gets expensive though :)
    Matching the right preamp with the right power amp can be quite fun!

Riffraff likes this.
  10. Riffraff

The Peavey Classic series power amps are affordable and sound great but I'll probably just stick with the MosValve. I don't play out anymore so I don't need the headroom. Besides, I just bought a MPX1 for the rack and promised myself I would stop buying more crap I don't need. That's never worked before and likely won't this time either. :rolleyes:

11. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

The different power amps can change the tone quite a bit. If you get a DAW and would like to try out some IRs with baked in different tube power amps, PM me your email along with what might be your favorite speaker cab and I will send you some from https://zombiecabs.com to check out. I'm the owner of that site, BTW.

ibmorjamn likes this.
  12. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Very cool of you Michael !
    I enjoyed listening on my phone , I will try later when I get back to civilization.

13. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Ahhh, the amazing Rockmaster...love 'em...easily one of Peavey's brightest gear achievements (IMO)...an awesome high gain tool regardless of any name slapped on the front!

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  14. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

These are real hidden gems. They hold their own against anything from that era in my opinion.

15. proxy

proxy Well-Known Member

Sounds good.
    How did you record this?

16. Riffraff

I Recorded it live with a 2000's Digitech Jamman Looper pedal and a SM57. That gives me the ability to transfer the WAV file to my PC where I can normalize the volume with Audacity freeware then put the audio file and a couple of pictures in a slide show program and save it as a video. Like I said, caveman style. I don't have a decent recording set up.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  17. Riffraff

I'm not getting much playing time in these days. Even though I'm working remotely from home I've been really busy so I make sure to get up really early so I can spend a little time exploring different settings with the MPX-1 through the rack mixer with a variety of other effects. It's a wonderful box with depth well beyond my programming ability. :D Through it all my go-to preamp is still the Rockmaster. It just has that nice crunchy tone I'm looking for even......at 4 a.m. :lol:

[​IMG]