Fitting 10in speaker to Origin 5 with pics.

Brek

Reaction score
So I have a couple of these little combos, @ £189 each why not? I mentioned in a previous post somewhere of other that I had fitted a 10 inch speaker to one. That one is now a head and cab combo. So today I decided to do the same to the other combo.

removed the chassis, and the two slim panels of the back. Removed speaker from panel. Next removed the speaker panel from the man in box. Didn’t take pics of those stages, pretty self evident what to do though.

First up I used my router to trim the raised bit of the panel. I routed a piece of ply in a circle to sit in the hole left by the speaker. Then used the routers circle guide and a very thin bit to route the area to allow the 10in speaker to fit. Some pics would have helped that bit though, doh, forgot to take any. What I did discover in the process is that the infill panel wasn’t glued but tacked to main baffle. Which was good as once the arc had been routed the piece just prised off. Leaving what you see below.

C2933C2B-D9FA-4B5C-A186-A81897D01626.jpeg

I then used the same thin router bit to enlarge the speaker hole, padding the underneath with thick cardboard between grill cloth and panel. Set the router to do route in 3 depth progressively deeper passes, making sure that bit did not break thought the cardboard and damage the grill cloth. Again some pics would show far better than words. Sorry guys.

F9EF4220-520C-4717-9148-50B14AAF90C9.jpeg

I used some 6mm thick pine to pack the front of the chassis effectively moving the panel forwards that amount to allow the speaker to not hit the amp chassis. Also added a set of washer to push amp chassis back a touch.

2BBD9D38-1F1A-4372-926F-F78D71DD7F8F.jpeg

I used 24in clamps to push baffle against main box so when I screwed it didn’t push away from me. And kept a tight fit against main cabinet.

9AE1263C-5EE4-4DB4-98C1-5274F9123DA5.jpeg

Then screwed speaker to front panel and reassembled. I did it this way as it’s really hard to get the cloth and trim back on like factory. Hence screwing the speaker on rather than using the captive nut thingys.

Showing clearance of speaker:

02C2F7FA-14CD-4D8D-982C-A7E72D515082.jpeg

I realise as a guide this is piss poor, due to lack of pics, my bad. But I hope it gets general idea across.

A1A00687-7E10-4EB5-A62C-B64577855D83.jpeg

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work!
When someone says "you can't do that", I can't stop myself from trying.
Great problem solving you did there @Brek .

junk notes

Reaction score
Yes, it is. GJ @Brek!
it doesn't get much tighter than that...

good job!
Thinking out loud here; The mini Jube is fitted with a 1x12, whilst the other Studio Series combos are 1x10. Surely their is room in the Classic and Vintage models.
Although, they all have differently designed backs, utilize the same enclosure.
Personally, do not give a golden poop about a 1x10 Marshall combo or what Marshall markets that circuit with. (I do not even use a Lead 12 without reamping.)

Don't blame them; I get it. All that they are doing is targeting a new client base. Glad it's working for the most part, but it is in my opinion - stupid - when Marshall offers a 1x12 extension.
IMHO The mini Jube package got it right with 1x12 combo + 1x12 extension.

Brek

Reaction score
Not sure if you mean what I did was stupid or Marshall’s use of 8 and 10 inch speakers in combos? I wanted a small combo, to take to rehearsals, and after getting the origin 5 thought it was ok for low volume bedroom use as long as an overdrive was in front of it. When I turned it up, not so good, not because it was an 8in speaker, because it was a cheap speaker. Amp is now able to fulfil its niche as a grab and go combo to take round mates place to have a jam, without spending extra cash on extension cab. I build my own cabs with speakers I get of eBay as and when I see new stock being sold cheap, like £125 for 10in alnico gold, or £150 for 12in alnico blue. The G10 vintage I stuck in that origin 5 cost me £30.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Yes, it is. GJ @Brek!
Thinking out loud here; The mini Jube is fitted with a 1x12, whilst the other Studio Series combos are 1x10. Surely their is room in the Classic and Vintage models.
Although, they all have differently designed backs, utilize the same enclosure.
Personally, do not give a golden poop about a 1x10 Marshall combo or what Marshall markets that circuit with. (I do not even use a Lead 12 without reamping.)

Don't blame them; I get it. All that they are doing is targeting a new client base. Glad it's working for the most part, but it is in my opinion - stupid - when Marshall offers a 1x12 extension.
IMHO The mini Jube package got it right with 1x12 combo + 1x12 extension.
I understand what you mean but I discovered using my JTM 30 combo like a 2 x 10 cabinet works for me in a small room I don’t need to move 2 x 12” of air. I do not have a 1 x 12 cab.
I do have a old 1 x 12 crate solid state amp I use for a cab ( somewhere in storage )

junk notes

Reaction score
Not sure? :facepalm: Buy bigger reading glasses.:nutkick:
Not sure if you mean what I did was stupid or Marshall’s use of 8 and 10 inch speakers in combos? I wanted a small combo, to take to rehearsals, and after getting the origin 5 thought it was ok for low volume bedroom use as long as an overdrive was in front of it. When I turned it up, not so good, not because it was an 8in speaker, because it was a cheap speaker. Amp is now able to fulfil its niche as a grab and go combo to take round mates place to have a jam, without spending extra cash on extension cab. I build my own cabs with speakers I get of eBay as and when I see new stock being sold cheap, like £125 for 10in alnico gold, or £150 for 12in alnico blue. The G10 vintage I stuck in that origin 5 cost me £30.

Brek

Reaction score
Not sure? :facepalm: Buy bigger reading glasses.:nutkick:
Ok I get ya, yeah you prolly right. I bought into 10’s as only have a small room and fancied giving them a go. They work for me at home and small rehearsal spaces. I do see the point of 12in speakers. I have been playing last couple of days through my 2x12 cab, and really enjoyed it, I feel it is probably louder than the 10’s but something about the way the sound is distributed was different and didn’t feel louder, but was definitely better.

Latest posts