First Marshalls in America

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
No matter what's the story that's a beautiful amp.

And sorry for the loss of your friend.
yeah, but it would be nice for him to have the real story behind it. I could easily see the mixup, as many people think/thought that the model numbers were the year, w/o even considering that there was no Marshall in 1959, nor was 1987 a year yet, when the amp was built...

I had thought about putting it in the vintage forum, as the guys there are good at figuring things out...

@TAZIN @neikeel @pleximaster @tomsvintage @Ned B @shakti @Marshallhead

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I get mixed up about the dates of certain fairly important happenings in my own personal history before the age of 25. So I would not be worried if the recollection of 1962 doesn't quite match up with the known Marshall history of first year production in 1963. A mixed up date doesn't make this amp any less interesting or historic.

What's most amazing is that it's in such pristine condition. It's rare enough to find a first year Marshall. But to find one that looks like it came out of the factory very recently....how cool is that?

And to think, it could well be one of the first Marshalls ever to come to America. Cooler still!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I get mixed up about the dates of certain fairly important happenings in my own personal history before the age of 25. So I would not be worried if the recollection of 1962 doesn't quite match up with the known Marshall history of first year production in 1963. A mixed up date doesn't make this amp any less interesting or historic.

What's most amazing is that it's in such pristine condition. It's rare enough to find a first year Marshall. But to find one that looks like it came out of the factory very recently....how cool is that?

And to think, it could well be one of the first Marshalls ever to come to America. Cooler still!
Yeah 62 or 63 doesnt matter except BB were made starting 64 after the Roy O Beatles tour. Just means amp has a different pedigree. Not sure when or where exactly it came from. Still cool and old though!

RLW59

Reaction score
Serial number 7065
The only documentation I have is the story that Barry told me, while Roy's backup singer (Rodney Justo - ARS, Beaverteeth) told me a slightly different story.

View attachment 104878

What was the slightly different story Rodney Justo told you?

I don't have any serious doubt that Barry acquired it from Roy while the Candymen were touring with him.

But the model 1962 underwent several cosmetic changes in the first few years after it was introduced in mid/late '64.
810r0VUUYCL.jpg

Barry's/yours is the last/final version, not the first version.

Roy saw Marshalls in England in '64 and shipped several stacks to the US for his late '64/early '65 US tour (and later US tours). But he left those in the States in '65, '66, '67 and bought more for the '65, '66, '67 tours in England, Europe, and Australia.

Far more likely it's from one of Roy's later batches. Which would still make it one of the earliest Marshalls in the US, but probably not from the very first batch.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

I don't have any serious doubt that Barry acquired it from Roy while the Candymen were touring with him.

But the model 1962 underwent several cosmetic changes in the first few years after it was introduced in mid/late '64.
View attachment 104887

Roy saw Marshalls in England in '64 and shipped several stacks to the US for his late '64/early '65 US tour (and later US tours). But he left those in the States in '65, '66, '67 and bought more for the '65, '66, '67 tours in England, Europe, and Australia.

Far more likely it's from one of Roy's later batches. Which would still make it one of the earliest Marshalls in the US, but probably not from the very first batch.
Thanks, good research, that makes sense from the amp timeline.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Is it my imagination, or does it appear that the black upper section of the panel around the block logo is a different height (shorter) than the same area of the block logo amp pictured in the group photo?

tomsvintage

Reaction score
I was a roadie for The Atlanta Rhythm Section in the mid-80s. Barry Bailey, one of the greatest rock guitarists America produced, owned a Marshall combo, that was originally given as a gift of two combos to Roy Orbison - in 1962. Barry was his 17 year old guitarist. Unfortunately, Barry passed away recently and I was stunned to find out that he left me the amplifier in his will. If anyone has another opinion of the FIRST Marshalls in America, I'd love to hear the story,

Serial number 7065
The only documentation I have is the story that Barry told me, while Roy's backup singer (Rodney Justo - ARS, Beaverteeth) told me a slightly different story.

View attachment 104878

michaelmastro ~ Welcome to the MF and I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Great story and great amp !!!! I would have to agree @Dogs of Doom and others here about the model 1962 getting mixed up with the year :)

It would be very nice to see some more detailed pictures of that amp !! Mine is #703x :)

Attachments

• OK.JPG
    OK.JPG
    440.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

tomsvintage

Reaction score

View attachment 104887

Off topic from the OP ~

The 1st series combo on the cover of the Marshall Bluesbreaker book is a well documented lash up. https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/carter-vintage-lash-ups.87785/ A lot of the information in the book is not accurate.

Last edited:

neikeel

Reaction score
First - sorry for the loss of your friend, obviously a good one from the nature of his gift to you.
With that structure, logo and serial (and back panel configuration) the cab dates to 65/65 and the chassis 65/66.
If there were more pics we could tell you a lot more (transformer types, board structure and componentts. Real geeky things but would help straighten which of your friends has the best memory!!
Thanks for sharing.

Ken Underwood

VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty amazing and very well could be a major piece of Marshall history!

I will keep an eye on this as I'm curious about the 1962 date also. @Ken Underwood insist that Jim didn't sell Marshall amplifiers until 1963 as others have said.
I have said this so many times and i will once again state that Jim's shop opened in 1962, just selling musical instruments and drum lessons upstirs.
It was not until early March 1963 that Ken Bran mentioned to both Dudley and i about a conversation Jim overheard in his shop about how the amp scene was not good enough for rock bands at that time.

Ken Bran involved himself with researching hardware for the design which today we know as the JTM45, at the same time Dudley was giving serious thoughts about modifying the Fender Baseman amp, the rest is history with my involvement in assembling every thing on the chassis.

Finally the the amp was tested in September 1963 at the Ealing Club on a Sunday night, it passed with flying colours and went into Jim's window the very next morning to be snapped up by Pete Townsend for £110.

At that time Jim was not involved at all only selling them in his shop on some sort of commission, once the demand took off he suggested that we worked from the rear of his shop and wanted in.

All the info about when it started in books and magazine's is so inaccurate, what i have said here is the total truth although some may not believe me, why should i lie, but there are some who do not like to hear the true facts

steveb63

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^
Kinda hard to argue with that mans facts!

I was waiting, what a tremendous resource Mr. Underwood is, we are very fortunate to have the man that was actually there to enlighten us.

Thanks again Ken, as usual, invaluable info.

junk notes

Reaction score
Thank you kind Sir. You and your knowledge are greatly appreciated by people who care.

I have said this so many times and i will once again state that Jim's shop opened in 1962, just selling musical instruments and drum lessons upstirs.
It was not until early March 1963 that Ken Bran mentioned to both Dudley and i about a conversation Jim overheard in his shop about how the amp scene was not good enough for rock bands at that time.

Ken Bran involved himself with researching hardware for the design which today we know as the JTM45, at the same time Dudley was giving serious thoughts about modifying the Fender Baseman amp, the rest is history with my involvement in assembling every thing on the chassis.

Finally the the amp was tested in September 1963 at the Ealing Club on a Sunday night, it passed with flying colours and went into Jim's window the very next morning to be snapped up by Pete Townsend for £110.

At that time Jim was not involved at all only selling them in his shop on some sort of commission, once the demand took off he suggested that we worked from the rear of his shop and wanted in.

All the info about when it started in books and magazine's is so inaccurate, what i have said

here is the total truth although some may not believe me, why should i lie, but there are some who do not like to hear the true facts

neikeel

Reaction score
1648506254934-png.104883

MKIV ser 7065 with Din output is a later type amp typically 1965on

Latest posts