first jam with SV20C - questions about speaker/cabinet/tone

junk notes

Reaction score
Lots of people have talked about throwing a 12" in the combo but I don't think anyone ever actually did it. I was swapping tubes in mine yesterday and looking in there it looks like there's room. Question is - is it the speaker or the cab size?
Dunno....
^
Yes...why they didn't use exactly the same size box (and speaker) as the 2525c, is beyond me. I'm sure there are folks who have put 12" speakers in their Studio combos though.
I seem to remember when they released them Marshall said they tried them with a 12", but decided they sounded better with a 10".
:yesway:
@purpleplexi just forgot that @lp1987x and several others have completed the task.
R63cxdE.jpg
SXb10h1.jpg

Although the above baffle was not tampered with and not cut out for a 12" speaker. Put in to check fit and placement, eventually he just used the original machine screw top left, and drywall for the other three. (no cutting baffle.) Said there were no adverse affects. (Could always cut a separate baffle keeping the original, if there ever was a resale.)

I’m not completely sure about this, only because the SC and the SV combos are a slightly smaller than the Jubilee Studio.

The mini Jub originally came out years before the SC and SV did in 2019.

It wasn’t even called a “Studio” until Marshall included it with the other two and called them the “Studio” line in 2019.

edit: IMO Rear panels make a difference the way they are ported to help with bass frequencies in a combo, without having an extension cab.

Last edited:

SteelLucky

Reaction score
I have a SC20C with a Creamback10 installed. I think it sounds great for a small combo. Is it as full as my SC20H powering the SC212 with two Creamback 65’s, No, but I honestly don’t see what the fuss is about. I don’t have the eq set the same but close for each amp and either one can get the job done for a 20 watt amp.

C-Grin

Reaction score
While all I have is an Origin 20c I did not care for the VT jr in that amp (but it is not a bad speaker) .
There is a challenge getting a combo to sound like a Marshall is “supposed” to sound like. And after much trial and error I went with an Emminence GB 128. As it seems to actually (to me )sound better in an open back cab. And made a huge improvement in the direction I wanted for this amp. I cut a bigger hole in the baffle but don’t think it is needed.

WillyW

Reaction score
I have a 12” neo Jensen tornado in a project 7ender amp, and I thought to put it in my sv20c, but it would take a similar effort to complete the project…

I have looked at other speakers to replace the stock one, but they don’t look to be an improvement for the expense.

also I have a blues driver pedal I have always had nearby, if not on my board, but it doesn’t seem to play well with the sv. (Good thing I have others to choose from)

purpleplexi

Reaction score
^

@purpleplexi just forgot that @lp1987x and several others have completed the task.
R63cxdE.jpg
SXb10h1.jpg

Although the above baffle was not tampered with and not cut out for a 12" speaker. Put in to check fit and placement, eventually he just used the original machine screw top left, and drywall for the other three. (no cutting baffle.) Said there were no adverse affects. (Could always cut a separate baffle keeping the original, if there ever was a resale.)

edit: IMO Rear panels make a difference the way they are ported to help with bass frequencies in a combo, without having an extension cab.
Err.. That's not an SV. Guess it's an SC. Must have missed that. Did he like it?

junk notes

Reaction score
Err.. That's not an SV. Guess it's an SC. Must have missed that. Did he like it?
yes missed that, I appologize. IIRC He was looking for added bottom end.
one would physically have to take measurements and check tolerances.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
On four hole/two channel Marshalls like this SV20, try the "Jimi Hendrix approach!" Jumper the two channels by plugging guitar into the hi input of HIGH TREBLE channel and the jumper from that channel's low to the NORMAL channel hi. Dime all the knobs across the amp. Then start "subtracting" (turning down) what you don't want, like or need. You'll be surprised at how much more quickly you can arrive at the tones you desire! If it is overall too bright, change to plugging the guitar into the hi of the NORMAL channel.
Try It, You May Like It,
Gene

purpleplexi

Reaction score
On four hole/two channel Marshalls like this SV20, try the "Jimi Hendrix approach!" Jumper the two channels by plugging guitar into the hi input of HIGH TREBLE channel and the jumper from that channel's low to the NORMAL channel hi. Dime all the knobs across the amp. Then start "subtracting" (turning down) what you don't want, like or need. You'll be surprised at how much more quickly you can arrive at the tones you desire! If it is overall too bright, change to plugging the guitar into the hi of the NORMAL channel.
Try It, You May Like It,
Gene
That's exactly how I do it. Me and Jimi.....

lp1987x

Reaction score
Yes, it sounded great. I especially liked the g12H anniversary with the SC20C. I believe it's a bit more complicated with the SV as the back panel is different. Someone here did it to an SV20C but I believe they had to remove the bottom trim piece inside the amp.

abkeller1

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an SV20h and SV20c (Studio Vintage series). The latter is a new purchase. I wanted a grab and go version of my head and cab/combo.

I brought it to a jam last night and played it at volume for the first time. There's a pretty big difference in tone between it and my head/cab which I'd like to get some feedback on.

First, I play my SV20h with a Friedman 'Dirty Shirley' 1x12 cabinet. It's a pretty big, open back cabinet with a celestion Creamback 65 in it. I've had it for years. To my ear the combo sounds much middier than the head and cab. The middier tone sounded awesome on solos but kind of grating when trying to lay back and play rythm. It's a very pokey sound, really cuts through. It has those 'nasal' sounding mids compared to the head and cab which, to my ear, sounds more balanced and pleasant. I could hear the nasal sound through the band mix which started to bug me after a while. The head and cab also "feels" easier under the fingers, less stiff.

As an experiment, I unplugged the combo speaker and played it through my Friedman cab and it sounded and felt just like my head and cab. So it's the speaker/cabinet not the amp which isn't suprising, but wanted to make sure.

I definitely prefer the sound and feel of the head and cab vs the combo. I can live with the combo and the convenience factor is good but would love it if it sounded more like my head/cab.

Is this really just the speaker? Do you think replacing the V-Type Jr with a 10" Creamback would get it closer to my head and cab? Or does it have more to do with the cabinet differences between a large, open back 1X12 and a much smaller 1x10 combo cab?

Any other suggestions (e.q. pedal, letting my ears get adjusted to the combo, speaker break-in, etc)? I can still return the combo but on the fence as I did like it overall - just that it sounds better paired with my Friedman cab vs it's internal speaker, but given I bought it as a grab-n-go I don't want to use it with my cab.

Also if anyone has tried this replacement let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Why is this so hard to figure out? combo is a 10" speaker, they suck. I'll repeat that. They suck, The other is a 12" speaker. Plus why don't you have a closed back cabinet for your head & use a 2x12 instead of a 1x12, it's a huge difference in sound & tone. A 1x12 can't move air like an oversized 2x12 like a 1936 cabinet. The sound of a Marshall is a Closed back cabinet, period, not an open back. If your too lazy to have a 2x12 with a head and want a smaller package don't expect to get a true Marshall tone. It just won't happen.

Last edited:

abkeller1

Reaction score
I believe it is the 10" speaker. I test drove the SC20c, and it was everything you described. Not to say it sounded bad, it didn't, but it was just 'less', and didn't sound gig-worthy. I ran a speaker cable to a 2x12 cab that was there, and it was a whole different beast, including much more sustain. The V-Type speakers are very good speakers. They sound fantastic with my SC20H and SC212 cab. It has all the Marshall greatness.

I also picked up a SC112 cab, for 'grab and go' situations. While it does take 2 hands to carry the amp and cab, it is light and easy and that setup sounds much better than the 1x10, IMO. And, the speaker in the SC112 is a V-Type.

Just my .02.
Try playing it through a Greenback, or a U.K. made Vintage 30, then your opinion on that V-type speaker will change.

steveb63

Reaction score
Buy a gutted or broken down DSL20, slip the SV or SC chassis in there. 12" ready by design. I think the holes should actually line up just fine... For me though, Marshall's sound best with closed back cabs, that's why many of their combos fall short. You can change speakers, but the inherent "problem" (to me at least) is still there. :2c:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Agreed!

Closed back, maybe the Bluesbreaker.

I even converted my Bluesbreaker to head so I could use a closed back cab. Where the Marshall "thump" lives. IMHO etc....

LargeBoxSmallBox

Reaction score
Try playing it through a Greenback, or a U.K. made Vintage 30, then your opinion on that V-type speaker will change.
Being a Greenback lover, I had 2 nice Greenbacks in my SC212 for a good long while. I ended up removing them for reasons other than tone, but honestly, the V-Type 12" speakers sound fantastic with the SC20. My baby 800 sounds amazing through either. I have played the SC20 through vintage Pulsonic Greenbacks in one of my old 4x12 cabinets, and it sounds great. It also sounds great through the V-types. (And regarding V-30's, had them for years, all of them made in the UK, and got rid of all of them except the one that came in my SL-5. I really don't like them. The midrange is boxy and unpleasant.) No opinion changing is needed. :2c:

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Why is this so hard to figure out? combo is a 10" speaker, they suck. I'll repeat that. They suck, The other is a 12" speaker. Plus why don't you have a closed back cabinet for your head & use a 2x12 instead of a 1x12, it's a huge difference in sound & tone. A 1x12 can't move air like an oversized 2x12 like a 1936 cabinet. The sound of a Marshall is a Closed back cabinet, period, not an open back. If your too lazy to have a 2x12 with a head and want a smaller package don't expect to get a true Marshall tone. It just won't happen.
I like the sound of the combo as it is. Doesn't even remotely suck to me. I also have a 2 x 12. Don't use it.

abkeller1

Reaction score
Being a Greenback lover, I had 2 nice Greenbacks in my SC212 for a good long while. I ended up removing them for reasons other than tone, but honestly, the V-Type 12" speakers sound fantastic with the SC20. My baby 800 sounds amazing through either. I have played the SC20 through vintage Pulsonic Greenbacks in one of my old 4x12 cabinets, and it sounds great. It also sounds great through the V-types. (And regarding V-30's, had them for years, all of them made in the UK, and got rid of all of them except the one that came in my SL-5. I really don't like them. The midrange is boxy and unpleasant.) No opinion changing is needed. :2c:
I'm changing your opinion wheather you like it or not.🤣

Last edited:

Latest posts