>

Finally got to play a SV20H

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Maggot Brain, Aug 7, 2021.

1. ichocobo

ichocobo Member

I guess it's same BS we have with Mesa stuff here...
    Btw I got mine for 790€, that should be less than your 700£??? I thought marshalls were even cheaper in UK...

2. ST035

ST035 Member

Ok, I am somewhat a layman when it comes to electronics - but, how do you get full power amp saturation on SV20 in 20 watt power mode IF it has 2 El34s rated both at 25w? I would guess that tubes then must not be working at their full power which would translate to 50 watts (2x25) of power.. (I am only talking about power not volume)

Maggot Brain likes this.
  3. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    All those years we kept posting on here that if Marshall would only make a 20w Plexi and JCM800 they wouldn't be able to build them fast enough. They finally listened and now can't built them fast enough.

I think every pre 2015 member should get a free one as thanks. :cheers:

4. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

An EL34 CAN output 25 watts. It doesn't have to. Its the rest of the circuit that sets the limits up to that point

For example typical 50 watter
    440 volt
    3400 transformer primary impedance
    Ohms law
    440x440/3400=56 watts
    Lower the voltage some. Say 280 volt
    280x280/340=23 watts

Or increase transformer primary impedance
    440x440/7000=27 watts.

.... as a side note... first, understand, i would NEVER recommend anyone mismatch their Amp/ speaker impedance settings...
    That said, back in the 80s, when the only attenuator anyone had heard of was the Scholtz power soak, that noone ever seen other than in a magazine, we used to plug in our 8ohm cabs and set our 50 watt marshalls to 4ohm...i guess 25watts won't fry a 50watt transformer and tubes were better back then...

5. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

They were a bit cheaper only a few weeks ago but as predicted prices are rising and will probably do so for a while yet .

6. ST035

ST035 Member

thank you for clarifying that tech stuff :)

7. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

I went thru the same thought process before buying the SV20H and SV212 Cabinet. I looked at similar images of the circuits compared to hand wired amps and the cost difference between an Origin and the SV20H just didn't add up, but I took the plunge anyway. (Of course I did). :agreed:

Life is short and I wanted to get back into plexi tones (not pedals) and the SV20H and cabinet has been a barrel of monkeys from the word GO !

My guess is that technology is reaching some kind of apex at the component level where values are values as long as the quality is there. Tubes/Valves still have not be fully replicated and probably never will be, but MOSFET circuits are about as close as I've ever heard.

Either way, if the box of parts inspires someone to play and the flavor of the tone hits a sweet spot, then the world is right for a little while longer.

My gear snob days are over. I just want to play while I still can !

8. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

Funny How People Who Claim To Be ready To Pay Premium For American Made Over Asian Made don't seem to understand that the same goes for European made vs Asian made..

. it's labour cost not quality...
    because We All Believe We ( western hemisphere ) put more pride in building than they do (i'm not so sure)

and In This Case, people specifically for years asked for UK built low watt plexi...
    I got mine, and it's not going anywhere.

.. and for what is worth. i clearly remember simply throwing away a shipment of "Made in USA, with pride"(brand name undisclosed) power conditioner's as they were built so poorly and simply unsafe, Back In The 90s when I worked for a big agent of musical equipment.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  9. ichocobo

ichocobo Member

I agree with you, johan.b
    It's just that the OP was GASing for the SV while he has an Origin, and I noted that, with a few tweaks he can have something very similar.

I'm really happy with the SV20, it's what every newbie dreams, in terms of unboxing and sounding like the records you love right away. It's just that the more I learn about this amps the more I think the origin is a bargain, a real sleeper, if you know how to tweak it.

10. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

I feel where you are coming from and I agree. I'm not savvy enough with amps yet but from what I do know I doubt it would be hard at all to shift and tweak the Origin just a bit to replicate the SV20.

I still prefer to have a SV20 over a modified Origin, I love the Origin just as it is and I love the whole package that is the SV20. I do agree tho that if you don't care about anything but the tone and just the tone then modifying a Origin closer to the SV20 is a HUGE bargain.

I'm still having a blast with my Origin, i just used the comparison to emphasize on how fantastic the SV20 sounds to my ears.

I personally knew since the release of the Class 5 that a small Plexi was the way to go. I loved my class5 and regret selling it but I am so excited that the SV20 is here.

Mitchell Pearrow and ichocobo like this.
  11. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I just got a Buxom Boost for my Origin 50. Hohwee dog chit does it get plexi now. In fact if I had my other phone that didn't fizz shit out I'd do a clip and tell peeps it was my Plexi. See how many would say, "how great that plexi sounds...I sure love mine too".:agreed:

Good grief man. Shocked the shit out of me. Does great JTM impersonations too.

The harmonic overtones that bark, bite and squeal come readily. Can hold notes and have them go into harmonic feedback until I let go. Thumping clear open saturation.

Wanted to mention this outcome. Again...Shocked the shit out of me.

Probably just my imagination.:slap:

JAC, scozz, Stephen H and 4 others like this.
  12. DreamerDeceiver

DreamerDeceiver Well-Known Member

Saw a few vids on youtube. These amps sound excellent. (tv speaker)
    They must sound great in person. How loud are we talking?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Probably not your imagination my friend, I thought I got pretty close to the SV 20 with mine in mid power.
    The Origin is just a tad darker in my opinion.
    And I used the SD1 on both, and used basically the same settings, no other magic.
    Cheers
    Mitch

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  14. donwagar

donwagar Well-Known Member

They are loud. Depends of course on where you're using it. If you want it for home or small studio I expect you'll need an attenuator. Small bar, you might get away with 5W mode. It'll need to be a fair sized venue to crank it in 20W. And that depends if you are running through a PA too.

IMO it is a fabulous amp. I have the SV20C combo.

15. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

no power for a few days missed all this shit.)

wntbtw likes this.
  16. Stephen H

Stephen H Member

Maybe the cathode biasing has something to do with it... more of a question than an answer I suppose, I'm just guessing. I read somewhere that they're working harder that way, of course that doesn't mean what I read was correct either, I really don't have any personal experience with cathode biased output tubes.
    Cheers, Steve

ST035 likes this.
  17. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

I wanted to add that I can appreciate that the Origin is made in Vietnam. My family and I have purchased numerous products made in Vietnam also including a lot of my son's toys. They are all of excellent quality and much more consistent than most of the Chinese made products and toys. My son is into monster trucks and Monster Jam and all his little trucks are made in Vietnam and they are the only toys he just can't destroy... he loves breaking toys haha and he just can't destroy them. The paint, materials and construction are outstanding and it just feels high quality and they only cost $4.99... Just can't beat that! My mother purchased a mass produced kitchen table set and it too was made in Vietnam. Other than the annoying assembly I was extremely impressed of the quality and design. I've helped friends and family put together man of those assemble Ikea style furniture and 99% of them are just junk imo. My friends and family always comment on the Origin, it immediately demands your attention just sitting in the corner. They all comment how beautiful and nice it looks and I couldn't agree more. It looks excellent and amazing, I love it's appearance, a mash of new and mostly old "vintage"

I forgot I had E34Ls in the Origin20 and decided to throw the stock EL34s in just for fun... There it is! I find the EL34s definitely brought it closer to what I heard with the SV20. The EL34s are definitely brighter and cleaner and that was what impressed me most with the SV20 tone... So now I'm not thinking they are too drastically different. I want to go play it again after playing my Origin20 with the stock EL34s and compare again just for fun as I think both amps have their place and merit.

This is a really good point and could also apply to other amps as well of course but I like throwing my Lovepedal JTM in front of the Origin and rolling back the drive of the pedal as to only color the signal with the pedal and get my drive and gain from the amp naturally. This trick works fantastic to bump the Origin the hair it needs to really authenticlly replicate JTM and Plexis tones, the amp alone gets damn close tho.

This

18. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Yeah I still love what I'm getting straight in. Vintage Marshall pleasure.

Mitchell Pearrow and Ps. 37 like this.
  19. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I agree. I had a Lovepedal JTM when I had the 20H. That is a very good combination and i ran mine just like Maggotbrain said. Just to color. Mostly I plugged straight in though.

I wish the SV and Origin wouldn't be compared so much. They're not the same to me but you're not doing yourself a disservice by having an Origin instead of the SV. I don't miss my DSL20HR. Ultimately I just didn't need four 20 watt heads but sometimes i miss the 20H even though I have the SV20H and 2525H. I thought it sounded good into an open back 1x12. Made a great economical blues rig.

20. CroTone

CroTone Well-Known Member

+1
    Honestly, I do not want those two to sound the same and they definitely don't.
    However, as in any other situation, when you have two things that are similar, it is usually possible to make one sound closer to another.
    However, I don't see a point in doing that IF I have both of these amps.
    It would not make any sense (at least in my book) to have two different amps that sound the same. For me, this would mean getting rid of the one.
    Origin sounds like Origin and is a particular flavor of Marshall sound and a unique take on old-school Marshall sound.
    And that sound is a great sound and there are days when I prefer that sound over any other.
    I love the way how they designed three levels of attenuation with ORI50, huge headroom that it has to take pedals, and a very interesting tilt switch.
    This stuff is unique and gives it a special voice. I don't see a problem with ORI being made in Vietnam since I bought this amp when they just came out and never had a reliability issue and it did get a fair amount of use. That amp has caused me zero problems thus far and in all honesty, I think it is made to good standards.
    SV20 is the MKII JMP style of an amp and it is a recognizable Plexi sound that we all love. If you want that, you know what you are getting it for.
    I have both and they all sound great in their own way.

P.S. If one wants (for whatever reason) - it is indeed possible to make these two sound very similar to each other. I managed to get them sound nearly identical and in the mix, I doubt anyone would be able to tell difference unless you have some supersonic bat hearing skills (which I certainly don't).:rofl:

Just my two cents. :2c:

Cheers!