Finally caved into the DSL hype...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Maggot Brain, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Well I demoed a DSL40Cr a few days ago and finally understood the hype and love for the DSL, so I caved in and bought a DSL........

Ok, so its not the DSL40Cr but I found a good deal on a DSL1Cr combo and couldn't pass it up. I am really happy with it for what it is. I currently own an early 1960's Alamo Capri that is 2 watts and just love it. I always enjoy dimeing it and not going def, so the idea of a 1 watt DSL sounded amazing.

I really enjoy this amp, only have had it home for a few hours but cant put the guitar down!

A vintage 80's JCM800 1960A cab followed me home also, the DSL1 even sounds great thru the 4x12!

One day I'll pull the trigger on a real DSL, the DSL40Cr is calling me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    ibmorjamn, daiku, TheOgre and 19 others like this.
  2. Maggot Brain

Finally able to put the guitar down, my first impressions of the amp...

I love it!
    It's exactly what I was hoping it would be. I really dig both channels and find myself using both equally. The classic Gain channel has a nice smooth breakup and reminds me of the JCM800 low input and the Ultra Gain channel has fantastic sustain. On the ultra channel I like the gain level at or below 12 o clock, makes for nice Marshall crunch with some spicy sizzle. The footswitch is very handy, I keep it next to my pedals and use it almost as an extra fx pedal. I have yet to try the fx loop but I am happy it has one. I really like the fact it has an 8" speaker because I find it helps keep the amp even more bedroom friendly, as in the bass doesnt transmit thru the floor when dimed.

Oh and I find the low power mode very usable! I was expecting it to sound thin or underwhelming but it really just drops the volume to more nighttime friendly volumes.

Thru and thru it is a perfect bedroom Marshall!

3. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Well-Known Member

Congrats! I have both a DSL40C and a JCM 2000 DSL 50. Love them both. Very fun amps. They may not be exact copies of a Plexi or 800, but they get you well within the ballpark for versatility and just having a good time without breaking the bank. Play it like you stole it!

4. Maggot Brain

Amen and thank you!
    Looking back I feel extremly silly for ever having a negative opinion of the DSL line. The DSL40Cr has left quite the impression on me. Like you said, its not exact Plexi or JCM800 tones but they are definitly in the amp's DNA.

The more I play the DSL1cr the more I see it as the evolution of Marshall and the accumulation of all the amps that came before it, I really dig that aspect.

Anyone else have one of these 1 watters? Maybe the 50th aniversary ones?

5. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

If you ever come through grant county, hit me up and I'll let you play with my 100w DSL, through a 1960 and no limits on volume...or bring yours and we'll jam together! You ain't more than a couple hours away..

Congrats on your new amp! I love my DSLs, and I don't care what anyone says. They work well for me!

Jon Ofjord, tce63, nickfox and 4 others like this.
  6. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Congrats and glad you’re liking your new amp!

7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Congratulations on your new amp MB
    They are definitely how you have described them, I love mine (Dsl40c’s)
    Cheers
    Mitch

nickfox, K2JLX, Maggot Brain and 3 others like this.
  8. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

That's my mutherfucker!

9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congrats @Maggot Brain, I’m kinda surprised that you never played a Dsl, I thought everyone has!

I’ve got The Dsl1hr, I play it thru a 1-12 Blackheart cab with a Greenback. Cool little amps that's for sure.

I bought it in 2018 and played it all year long, great amp! Then in January of 2019 I bought a SC20 and my little Dsl1 has not seen much action since then.

I’ve actually been thinking about selling it, but I couldn’t get very much for it,...soooo,....

I'm gonna try a different speaker in that Blackheart cab, because when I first got the Dsl1hr, I played it thru a 1-12 Creamback loaded cab,....and I remember it sounding better through that speaker than the Greenback.

Congrats again on your new amp, there’s nothing better than getting new gear and you love it!! :thumb:

10. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Another convert.

Bluesbird, tce63, nickfox and 4 others like this.
  11. Maggot Brain

@mcblink I'll definitely keep that in mind when if I am ever in your area, I am always down to jam with a fellow MFer!

I appreciate the input and compliments, I am completely converted. The more I play the DSL1 the more I love it, I was content with my VM2266 but now I am gassing bad for the DSL40Cr haha. Playing the DSL1 thru my new 1960A cab with G12T-75s is just pure sweetness, cranked Marshall tones without pissing off my neighbors.

I had some vintage GE and RCA 12AT7s laying around. Swapped them out for shi*s n giggles and blown away at the difference they made. The ultra gain channel seriously reminds me of my old JCM800s, has that punch n crunch I remember so vividly.

I would really love to own some of the anniversary 1 watters. I have always wanted the JTM1h or the JCM1h... heck Id be stoked to have any of them. I wish the prices were more realistic! I only paid $200 for the DSL1cr and it is worth every penny.

Guitar Rod and mcblink like this.
  12. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

I'll go ahead and extend that invitation to you too! You're not too far either, if I recall...

Maggot Brain likes this.
  13. Maggot Brain

I just finished playing for the past 3 hours...

The DSL1 is my new favorite amp, love switching between the green and red channels. I've suprised myself as I really favor the red channel, I can get a whole spectrum of tones and just love the sustain I'm able to achieve. It really reminds me of a JCM800 and I have been desprately missing my old vertical input JCM800. The only feature of the DSL I dont care for is the "Tone Shift", both on the 40 and 1 I find it useless to me and doesnt sound very good, just scooped mids.

All in all this is the happiest and most satisfied I have ever been with my rig. I am dying for a DSL40cr, I am hoping by the end of the year I'll be in a position to pick one up. I could have snagged one yesterday but decided on the vintage Marshall 1960A cab I picked up, I have never owned a true Marshall cab or have ever owned Celestion speakers so I had to jump on that. I have a sneaking suspecion that the DSLs will be my favorite Marshall amps.

14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

That’s the second or third time you mentioned the Dsl40c,.....not the Dsl40cr.

Do you prefer the Dsl40c to the Dsl40cr @Maggot Brain ,...or have you even played a 40cr? I’m just curious to know if it’s a typo or you did actually play a Dslc and NOT a Dslcr. Everything I’ve read tells me there is quite a difference in the two amps.

I don’t think the badge on the front of the amp distinguishes between the two different amps. If I’m not mistaken the badge reads,...”Dsl40c”,...for both amps.

As far as the two amps go, the Cr not only the has double Master Volumes, but the different voicing that many prefer. If I’m not mistaken the Crs’ came with a better quality speaker, a V-Type, and the Cs’ came with 70/80s,...I could be wrong about the speakers.

Then there are also those that absolutely love the Cs’ and prefer them to the Crs’! They prefer the voicing of the Cs.

So, just to clear it up for me, if you don’t mind, which model did you play?

Maggot Brain and KraftyBob like this.
  15. Maggot Brain

My bad! I played the DSL40cr, I wasn't quite sure there was a difference or they were different amps. Goes to show how uneducated I am on the DSLs! I just read up on the Cs and CRs and understand them now.

16. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Well-Known Member

Good to hear!

I have a DSL40CR and DSL100HR, couldn't be happier. I think they sound great!

17. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

There is a DSL sound. It's a subtle sub set of the Marshall sound but it is distinct to the DSL series. Even the DSL15 has it. When I use a DSL model on the JMD it is there too.

18. DerekLicon

DerekLicon Member

They are good amps, the JCM 2000 DSL 100's, the DSL100H and DSL100HR are all different sounding to me. I have the JCM 2000 DSL 100 and it sounds fine at lower volumes IMO. I play through it below 1 all the time.

19. Maggot Brain

When it comes time, Ill have to do some browsing and testing of all the different DSLs. Like Ive said probably a 100 times already, I was absolutley sold on the DSL40Cr when I demoed it at guitar center. It happen to be the only Marshall and in the isolation room so I was able to dime it, I lost track of time and before I knew it I had spent about 2 hours on it. Luckily the store was dead and the employees left me alone. When I finally stumbled out of the room the employee was like "man, you must really be digging that guitar!"... me "nah I just finally discovered what the DSL is all about!" Haha...

ibmorjamn, Kochens, SkyMonkey and 3 others like this.
  20. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

How’s about a long overdue
    :welcome: To the forum
    Derek I have a buddy with the same sounding last name as in your avatar but spelled Lycon his name is Dennis .
    I know off topic.
    Cheers
    Mitch