Finally an affordable Rockman-style pedal

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I've been looking at the GOAT Generator pedal lately, but that puppy is expensive. I also checked out the Mockman. Every video I've heard of it sounded beyond awful.

But tonight, I discovered a pedal I probably scrolled right by before and paid no attention to. It's the Colombo Rocker 83. This sounds about as close as anything I've heard:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Well, I emailed them last night. The guy was quick with a response and very nice, but he said that they're slammed with orders for this ever since the Brett Kingman demo video (I assume the one I posted above), and my order would probably arrive in late August.

So, I doubt my patience will be okay with this, so I'm going to pass. I'm sure some of you are laughing because you've waited months or even years for a piece of gear before, but I tend to be an impulse buyer where musical gear is concerned. I can research and hold off buying for weeks (like the 5150 Iconic which I still haven't bought), but once I decide that I want something, I want it quicker than that.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've been looking at the GOAT Generator pedal lately, but that puppy is expensive. I also checked out the Mockman. Every video I've heard of it sounded beyond awful.

But tonight, I discovered a pedal I probably scrolled right by before and paid no attention to. It's the Colombo Rocker 83. This sounds about as close as anything I've heard:

What are you going for Tom Scholz tone in a box?

PowerTube44

Reaction score
What are you going for Tom Scholz tone in a box?
Yeah. Specifically, the overdrive texture. I can add chorus and such on my own. The original Scholz units are getting way expensive, plus most probably need cap replacements by now. I also looked at the G.O.A.T. Generator. It sounds great, too, but starts near $400.00.

I can't believe Duncan hasn't put these sounds into pedals by now, since they own Scholz' technology. So it's either wait for shipping from Italy on the Colombo, wait for shipping from Japan on the G.O.A.T., or buy a $1000.00 modeler to run that one patch. And honestly, I would prefer analog in this case.

jmp45

Reaction score
Well, I emailed them last night. The guy was quick with a response and very nice, but he said that they're slammed with orders for this ever since the Brett Kingman demo video (I assume the one I posted above), and my order would probably arrive in late August.

So, I doubt my patience will be okay with this, so I'm going to pass. I'm sure some of you are laughing because you've waited months or even years for a piece of gear before, but I tend to be an impulse buyer where musical gear is concerned. I can research and hold off buying for weeks (like the 5150 Iconic which I still haven't bought), but once I decide that I want something, I want it quicker than that.

I'm kind of jonsing for this too.. I have an x100 but would be nice a pedal format, this sounds pretty darn close. I'll send off an inquiry.

TXOldRedRocker

Where's the exit?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had never seen this pedal before this thread. I do own their Plexi Breed pedal. Fantastic quality.

I've just ordered the Rocker 83. May take a while to get here, but it's pretty unique, I think, and I want one.

matttornado

Reaction score
I wonder how it sounds in front of our dirty Marshall’s. That’s what’s important, not how sounds into a clean amp.
Might sound horrible with Marshall amps. Good luck! Can’t wait to hear about it!!! Hope it sounds killer!

jmp45

Reaction score
I dug out the x100, power supply needs replaced. It works unless you wiggle the cable coming out. Easy peasy. I cleaned the switch contacts. The original led was replaced years ago. It. pulsed and caused noise so that had to go. Going to test into sparky .

rockman-x100.jpg

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I wonder how it sounds in front of our dirty Marshall’s. That’s what’s important, not how sounds into a clean amp.
Might sound horrible with Marshall amps. Good luck! Can’t wait to hear about it!!! Hope it sounds killer!
Why would you run any of these into a "dirty" Marshall? They're designed to be run into the clean channel.

V-man

Reaction score
Why would you run any of these into a "dirty" Marshall? They're designed to be run into the clean channel.
Sounds like a fair response is “why would you post this thread on a ’dirty Marshall‘ site?”

Your response to that question tweaked a bit should answer your question.

-BOOGIEMAN-

Reaction score
Had never seen this pedal before this thread. I do own their Plexi Breed pedal. Fantastic quality.

I've just ordered the Rocker 83. May take a while to get here, but it's pretty unique, I think, and I want one.
I’ve never heard of the Plexi Breed pedal. How do you like it???
:nutkick:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Sounds like a fair response is “why would you post this thread on a ’dirty Marshall‘ site?”

Your response to that question tweaked a bit should answer your question.
I'm not trying to be a smartass, but I sincerely don't get what you're saying. Marshalls can sound as clean as anything else, and this pedal is designed to be run across a clean channel.

Or am I not understanding something?

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score

oh wow that pedal is crazy. for what it does its pretty unique.