Field of Dreams

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by crossroadsnyc, Aug 13, 2021.

1. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

If you're a baseball fan, or even just a fan of the original movie, this was an incredibly historical sporting event that will stand the test of time. Enjoy!

The Opening:

The Ending:

2. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Certainly wish I had caught a bit of that. Wish the outfield fences were chain link or some sort of thick clear plastic so that the cornfields kind of appeared to be the outfield wall.

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

damn. we have baseball fans on here? :cheers:

4. crossroadsnyc

The English "D" is one of my few tattoos ... Go Tigers!

I remember the 35-5 start. We all followed all summer. My sister's favorite player was Chet Lemon. I liked Lou Whitaker the best. We went to several games that year, and watched even more on the television (one had tubes!). It was arguably the best season from any team in the history of baseball. It was the Summer of 1984.

The scene that unfolds in the following video is something you don't see anymore. I'd like to see more of it. Celebrate!

5. crossroadsnyc

"Sweet Lou"

6. ricksdisconnected

was that Puckett up to bat?

7. johnny q

johnny q Well-Known Member

This was amazing! And what a dramatic, almost cinematic ending to the game (unless you are a Yankee fan) ;)

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

I live 25 miles from the movie site. My work is based out of Dyersville and have been to that site many times. It's a cool place in a town that loves baseball. The MLB commish says next year is a go too.

We had our names in the lottery pool to buy tickets at $375 a pop but weren't one of the lucky ones.

My parents were involved in the community theater here and when Hollywood would come here to shoot movies they would call the theater for extras. My parents were extras in that movie and a bunch of others.

I remember some they filmed here that mom and dad where a part of, Field of Dreams , F.I.S.T., Take this job and Shove it, Miles from home, and a TV Series that starred Ralph Waite called Mississippi. I remember it was pretty cool to see Stallone, Richard Gere and the like walking down the street with their entourages in our piddly little Iowa town.

They were pouring a concrete side walk in front of a Tavern here and Stallone smashed his hand print in it, and his autograph...it's still there to this day.

Mom said Sly was a pompus asshole..btw.

9. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I, too, saw the game. I liked the idea of trying to bring back the game to a more simplified version (as least from the perspective of those in attendance).

Also, to see an MLB game played in a simplified environment that somewhat resembles what you'd see in little league, high school, or college baseball fields is encouraging. It's encouraging to know that you can take away all the sometimes grandiose, the over-the-top presentation of the game, and you know it would survive just fine (if it ever came to that). I do like the big lights, big screen, big stadium sights and sounds, but I can appreciate a scaled back version.

To see the game played in that small stadium with only a few fans was, to me, more authentic than seeing the game played in the big stadiums with only a few fans such as was the case last year when MLB slowly progressed from no fans to a few fans in attendance. I think the 2020 games would have looked more pleasant if they had used a bunch of small fields/stadiums like what you'd find in the minor leagues or college baseball level.

The game evolved: some aspects I like, some I don't, but I still take it all and sort it out later. I'd rather be back to playing the game than watching, but I like being a spectator, too.

10. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

I keep saying it, but, I hate the way they turned it all into statistic run play orientation. They don't let players play. They hire them because they are good at _______, then once they hire them, they don't let them do what they're good at.

For instance, recently, the Dodgers had Puig, who was an amazing raw talent. Sure, he could have used some refinement, but, they ruined his play. Don't do this, don't do that, you only move when we tell you to. Don't use your instinct, we'll tell you what to do...

They sterilized/castrated him. Then they complain that he's not very good, because he's doing what they told him to do...

The whole free agency turned the sport into a less team oriented sport & all players became out for themselves.

Back, when I watched baseball, ('70s), you knew the teams. I knew the Dodgers, but, I could also tell you everybody on the Reds, Cardinals, Pirates, Giants, etc., because before the free trade agency, people would get signed on to a team as a career. So, if you were signed on to a team, it was a given, that you'd play out most of your career there, if you were able to keep your game up.

Usually getting traded had a bad stigma w/ it.

But, teams were good, because they knew each other & had their game down.

Think of the NY Yankees, up until recent, they had a pretty longstanding team, until they all retired in the last few years. That's also why they were strong contenders, even though their ages were up there.

But, the whole statistical thing took all the sport out of it, for me...

When they tell a batter not to swing at the pitch (no matter what), because they dialed in their statistics, that says, that, if this pitcher, on his 64th pitch, has a 2-1 count w/ runners on 2nd & 3rd, he statistically throws a ball at 65%. If it's the 4th inning, that statistic goes up to 80%.

So don't swing... (or you're fired)

Lame

11. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

I remember watching Jack Morris toss a no hitter. Can’t recall if it was that year or not.
    The game in Iowa was fantastic.

12. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

Good ol Tiger Stadium. I've seen a half dozen or so games there. I saw Dave Winfield hit one out of the stadium in batting practice back in '87 or '88.

13. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I agree that probably all teams rely on at least some kind of statistic to guide at least some part of the game plan/strategy, which is not always a bad thing so long as the use of statistics represents a tiny fraction of the game plan/strategy.

But I agree that if teams are using stats to change/remake a big part of a player's natural abilities (again, I'm not talking about "refinement" but instead a more drastic change), then yes I agree that changing a player's ability and significant stat use for game planning/strategy is bad for the game.

As you alluded, one aspect of stat use is hitting. Stat use for arranging defense positioning make sense, but not for hitting. The way teams have encourage the "upper cut" swing based on stats is a terrible thing to do to a player. And, as you mentioned, the use of stats to change how a player things about the count during an at bat is a pretty crappy approach. At an early age, I was encourage to forget about the count and instead just look for something good to hit (it almost always works). Whether it's the first inning or the fifth, a pitcher can make a mistake or take a big risk and throw something that you can beat the sh*t out of. Let the player's natural ability play through during an bat and more times than not, major damage can be inflicted on the pitcher.

So, yes, a little bit use of stats for game planning/strategy can be a good thing, but teams need to be very specific at what part of the game and how they'll use it.

14. ricksdisconnected

but when its the top of the 9th and 2 men out there aint but 1 guy thats gonna do it the way you want it........

15. crossroadsnyc

Holy smokes, talk about field of dreams!

First MLB Start. No Hitter. Even has his Dad in the stands.

16. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Baseball is one of my favourite sports. Looking forward to seeing the movie.

17. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Some people get pretty odd as they get senile

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  18. Nkyrental

Nkyrental Well-Known Member

Reads and Cubs next year. On local radio, they were saying very few if any fans from Cincy or Chicago will be there.
    Almost every ticket has been spoken for for the next few years' worth of games.

19. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

'84 Series , Tony Gwynn hits a fly to left , caught by my cousin, Larry Herndon for the WIN !!

20. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I watched it. Was a good game. I'm from Iowa and haven't even visited the field. I've even drove through dyersville. One of these days I'll check it out.