Fender USA Strat - Is this Sloppy Quality?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by SonVolt, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Bigmuff

Bigmuff Well-Known Member

I have a guitar shipping box that's been sitting in my garage for over a year. Never know when you're gonna need one, and they're not easy to come by.

2. matt3310

matt3310 Well-Known Member

Thats very common on Rosewood edges. Its an easy fix if you want to make it look good. Just tape off the neck where the maple and rosewood meet. Use some very fine steel wool and sand down the edge of the rosewood. Not all the way to the wood, just until its completely smooth. Then use a finer grade of steel wool and sand again. Last step is some swirl remover. When your done it will look great and feel like a million bucks!

3. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

I do not remember ever having any type of finish on freetboard or its edges. I have never had a Fender, so is that common on Fender?

How about polish and buff the sides and edges until satisfied?

Add
    I should have read all the way through. It looks like Matt kind of got on the fixing topic.
    Looks like its going back anyhow.

4. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

I played 3 of those, and a Vintage RI '65 when I recently bought a used Super Reverb at GC, 2 of the American Standards (White,Sunburst), and the '65 RI, played like crap, buzzing, no sustain, the other American Standard (Black) played awesome, no buzzing, lots of sustain. I would like to think it was just that being guitar center, they were poorly set up by GC, and get thrashed by people trying them out. Anyhow I was impressed with the one that played good, it played and sounded almost as good as my Vintage RI's, and MIJ RI. It was sad that the new '65 RI was set up so poorly and still be priced over $2,000.00. Yes send that one back for a new one, and hopefully they will send you a good one !!!!

5. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member

So, Fender puts gloss on rosewood fretboards, or just the sides??

6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Are you getting a replacement?

7. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

According to UPS it arrived in Chicago today so it should reach the store by tomorrow. They're going to replace it with a brand new one.... I told them if they don't have the same color/config to just send a burst Tele with a rosewood neck. I've got 2 strats already so a tele wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  8. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Can't wait to see the replacement. I would think they'd make sure it's a nice one.

9. SonVolt

That's exactly what i did...it went back in a Fender acoustic box :lol:

10. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I've experienced cracking on my old Jackson Dinky... I think the wood was over-dried during the build that it developed a deep crack running across the body between the neck and middle PU... GC was nice enough to replace it... It was still under warranty.

SonVolt likes this.
  11. SonVolt

My replacement guitar finally came in. They at least solved 1 of the 2 issues. The neck checking is gone except for the very edge nearest the pickups. You can see under the string where it's flaking off.

[​IMG]

The streaks in the wood are visible on this guitar too though not as bad... I can live with this I guess. It's just frustrating since I've never seen these lines on the same guitar in Guitar Center and other shops around town.

[​IMG]

There's also a bit of wood lifted up under the high-E string where the nut was inserted. I need to sand that down the next time I change strings.

[​IMG]

Other than that I really like this - it sounds and feels much better than the last one. But this will most likely be the last time I order a guitar online. I expect perfection and mail-order is not exactly the best way to achieve it.

1neeto and poeman33 like this.
  12. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Expect perfection? Accept soulless?
    [​IMG]/Guitars that are made by human hands have human flaws. Some of us old farts call them "personality" and "character." I own a perfect guitar. It sits in a display case at my brother's home.
    [​IMG]
    Great specs, great looks, 0 personality. A retirement gift.
    ;>)/

13. SonVolt

I wonder what ESP's secret is.... maybe I've been lucky but I've yet to spot a flaw in their $1,000+ guitars.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

They try and make solid guitars don't spin their flaws as "character." :lol:

SonVolt likes this.
  15. SonVolt

Just look at this fretwork on my ESP! This guitar is flawless... my Strat's neck and frets look pretty shitty by comparison.

[​IMG]

dslman and BlackSG91 like this.
  16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

Good god those frets look huge. :eek:

I bet bends are pretty effortless.

17. SonVolt

It's so easy to play it's hard to go back to my Les Paul or Fender without having serious hand-cramp shock.

18. poeman33

poeman33 Well-Known Member

Sorry for your bad luck. Those frets don't look too polished either. I'm a bit disappointed for you too, as I have never had that kind of bad luck with a Fender.
    Here is a pic of my 2001 American Deluxe body. If you view the full size, you can kind of see the same kind of streaks (although it is Ash) but the body is certainly solid. So I think your body will be okay...I sure hope so.
    [​IMG]

19. SonVolt

Yeah the fret's are pretty rough.... I have to remind myself that an American Standard is only $1,000 which is essentially same price as a low-end LTD Eclipse, so an American Standard is not a premium guitar. It's a shame.

20. 1neeto

1neeto Well-Known Member

American standard is MIM quality but they have to cover for USA labor costs. :D

The old saying "what's the difference in between a MIM and AmStd? About 250 miles and 500 bucks. They're still mass produced, I bet that both factories have the very same CNC machines. Still a nice guitar and much better-looking than the previous one!