Fender Player Plus Telecaster

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I do not own one, but they are perfectly fine guitars.

My only quibble is that I prefer the traditional saddle to individual saddle on a telecaster.

YMMV

Richie612

Reaction score

My only quibble is that I prefer the traditional saddle to individual saddle on a telecaster.

YMMV
I know what you mean but the more modern saddles can get you proper intonated.

Also the modern Player plus has a belly cut so it's a lot more comfortable.

Medium Jumbo frets is putting me off a little as Teles are tall thin frets usually.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I know what you mean but the more modern saddles can get you proper intonated.

Also the modern Player plus has a belly cut so it's a lot more comfortable.

Medium Jumbo frets is putting me off a little as Teles are tall thin frets usually.
These days compensated saddles for teles solve that problem. A whole lot of great recording were made with teles that didn't have compensated saddles at all.

The tummy cut is nice, especially for those of us with a well earned beer gut, but I still prefer the slab.

Luckily for you there's a tele for everybody!

Richie612

Reaction score
These days compensated saddles for teles solve that problem. A whole lot of great recording were made with teles that didn't have compensated saddles at all.

The tummy cut is nice, especially for those of us with a well earned beer gut, but I still prefer the slab.

Luckily for you there's a tele for everybody!
I defintely have no beer gut, yet!
Yes many great songs have been recorded using the more traditional Tele body shape but at what cost of comfort?
I think the ashtray bridge and compensated saddles look flimsly and a lot more work to dial perfect.
The Strat bridge and saddles are amazing so having them on a Tele makes sense.
Does doing that reduce the Tele twang? That's the question.

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Tele's are simple and can be great . But I do prefer a modern style . Especially the belly-cut . Thats proper . Makes the axe much more comfy . I've had Tele's with the old style saddles and ones with modern Individual bridge saddles ..... I'll take modern individually adjustable saddles any day over that old style primitive hack type nastiness . Function and beauty over vintage collector crap . Hey , just me . Oh and NO .... absolutely NO Tele Twang Loss with modern individual saddles . It gets actually better . Just go try both .

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I defintely have no beer gut, yet!
Yes many great songs have been recorded using the more traditional Tele body shape but at what cost of comfort?
I think the ashtray bridge and compensated saddles look flimsly and a lot more work to dial perfect.
The Strat bridge and saddles are amazing so having them on a Tele makes sense.
Does doing that reduce the Tele twang? That's the question.
There is a difference in sound, that's why I prefer the old style bridge - and like I said before the modern compensated three barrel brass saddle solve the intonation problem. Comfort is relative. What might be comfortable for me may not be for you, and vice versa.

I never thought of anything about a traditional tele as flimsy. They can take a heck of a lot of abuse.

You could toss one across a parking lot and it would still be intact and mostly, if not fully, in tune - depending on the landing.

(I don't recommend testing that out though)

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the Player Plus, but the Player series are good guitars. I might give a (yet another) shot at a Tele, and if I ever do it's probably going to be a Player model. (Still searching for a Tele I can bond with.)

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score

YMMV
Hey Strummer, have you tried the compensated brass saddles? I had a Tele with those and thought they were great.

El Gringo

Reaction score
There is a difference in sound, that's why I prefer the old style bridge - and like I said before the modern compensated three barrel brass saddle solve the intonation problem. Comfort is relative. What might be comfortable for me may not be for you, and vice versa.

I never thought of anything about a traditional tele as flimsy. They can take a heck of a lot of abuse.

You could toss one across a parking lot and it would still be intact and mostly, if not fully, in tune - depending on the landing.

(I don't recommend testing that out though)
You are preaching to the choir as the traditional vintage Telecaster 3 saddle bridge and non belly cut Telecaster work just fine for me . 10000% right that the 3 saddle Telecaster bridge stays perfectly in tune and my BOSS Tuner TU3 confirms that as well . There is such a simplicity in the original design that is a thing of beauty to hear and see as well . These Telecasters do not go out of tune for nothing .

El Gringo

Reaction score
strange as i find it too, its the only piece of gear im like that with.
Leo got it right the first time. best guitar ever built bar NONE.
as solid as fort Knox.
There is an image out there from the Fender archives and I can't remember if it's a Stratocaster or a Telecaster and the instrument is laid across two chairs and a guy is standing on the neck with his full weight and the neck and body withstand this with what more than a hundred and so pounds of weight . Talk about the genius of Mr. Leo Fender right there from an engineering standpoint . Mr. Fender knew his tone woods and how resonance and intonation work . It truly is a brilliant and most simplistic and dare I say Spartan and Utilitarian (making me head hurt with them big fancy words ) design and their exactly lies it's beauty , in addition to wonderful music created and recorded on these instruments .