Fender 57 Custom Tweed

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
$750 invested?? How did you go from $289 to $750? If youre gonna spend that much you might as well have one built for you from Vintagetone which was my original plan but I chickened out due to the price. $289 sounds better :yesway:
In my opinion, the Jensen speaker adds a lot to the 5E3 sound.
I have several spare Celestion speakers at my disposal, but I will probably end up purchasing a new Jensen.
In addition to the speaker, a new cabinet from Mojotone , and id be up to $750.
Much less than the $2200 or whatever, for a new Fender Deluxe.
But the real beauty in my opinion, is building or wiring the kit myself!
Its something Im looking forward to doing!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
In my opinion, the Jensen speaker adds a lot to the 5E3 sound.
I have several spare Celestion speakers at my disposal, but I will probably end up purchasing a new Jensen.
In addition to the speaker, a new cabinet from Mojotone , and id be up to $750.
Much less than the $2200 or whatever, for a new Fender Deluxe.
But the real beauty in my opinion, is building or wiring the kit myself!
Its something Im looking forward to doing!
OK I get it. I've been studying the Mojotone instructions and watched their videos this afternoon, I'm beginning to feel a little more confident about doing this, I still havent pulled the trigger on the kit yet, although I have put in a couple offers on one but they ignore them, if I do this I'll have to go with the $289 like you did. :yesway:

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
OK I get it. I've been studying the Mojotone instructions and watched their videos this afternoon, I'm beginning to feel a little more confident about doing this, I still havent pulled the trigger on the kit yet, although I have put in a couple offers on one but they ignore them, if I do this I'll have to go with the $289 like you did. :yesway:
Mojotone has been out of stock on the kit for a while now...Transformers I believe. I was skeptical about the $280 China kit until I heard one in person! They do sound great!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Mojotone has been out of stock on the kit for a while now...Transformers I believe. I was skeptical about the $280 China kit until I heard one in person! They do sound great!
That link I posted about the transformer, that guy has a bunch of videos on his 5E3 build including some sound demos, check it out!

Last edited:

G the wildman

Reaction score

I took my new tweed champ to my music club tonight with a strat. It was very loud and held its own with a drummer, bass and 3 additional guitars. I was impressed. With the axe plug into the higher gain input it is a bit growly for clean work.

I did not use any pedals. I think it might be best for my use on lower input with a little reverb and an OD1x for drive,

Obviously there are limits to the amp in terms of variety but I think it ,coupled with a full pedal board it will be great. I will add pedals slowly over the coming weeks.

There is a part of me that says I should have bought the Delux. But all my mistakes have been in buying amps that are too big for my use. So I think that I have done the right thing.

So far I am loving it.

G

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Does your kit have all the parts and same values as the Mojo layout so you can follow the Mojo instructions?

Last edited:

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Does your kit have all the parts and same values as the Mojo layout so you can follow the Mojo instructions?
I have not compared each individual component, but I would think that with the use of the included schematic , it would be close enough to get it assembled properly.
I would expect to see differences.
If and when you get a kit, let me know and we can help each other out.
I do not plan on starting to build mine for a while, as I have other "summer" projects going on.
In fact, it may be several months until I actually begin.
But after several months of looking/debating/ researching different 5E3 options, when the seller recently reduced the price, I pulled the trigger.
It may be a 3 day, winter project for me, but its one Im looking forward to!
Also keep in mind, the 5E3 is an old, and some would say,,,,accidental circuit!
It has quirks!
Such as the 2 channels volume bleed over...
When your plugged into channel 1, channel 2's volume actually effects the sound to a certain extent...
Its a odd and weird circuit, and far from perfect, but when dialed in, it "THE 5E3 Sound" that has been used for many years!
I cant wait, and building myself will be so enjoyable!

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I took my new tweed champ to my music club tonight with a strat. I was impressed.

There is a part of me that says I should have bought the Delux.

So far I am loving it.

G
Great to hear that you are enjoying your Champ!
They are such a cool sounding amp, in a small package!
Im surprised it held its own to your drummer!
Thats quite a feat, even for a Deluxe.
You wont have any problems selling your Champ should you decide to.
But I have a feeling you will fall in love with it and hang onto it!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I have not compared each individual component, but I would think that with the use of the included schematic , it would be close enough to get it assembled properly.
I would expect to see differences.
If and when you get a kit, let me know and we can help each other out.
I do not plan on starting to build mine for a while, as I have other "summer" projects going on.
In fact, it may be several months until I actually begin.
But after several months of looking/debating/ researching different 5E3 options, when the seller recently reduced the price, I pulled the trigger.
It may be a 3 day, winter project for me, but its one Im looking forward to!
Also keep in mind, the 5E3 is an old, and some would say,,,,accidental circuit!
It has quirks!
Such as the 2 channels volume bleed over...
When your plugged into channel 1, channel 2's volume actually effects the sound to a certain extent...
Its a odd and weird circuit, and far from perfect, but when dialed in, it "THE 5E3 Sound" that has been used for many years!
I cant wait, and building myself will be so enjoyable!
I'm in! Just placed my order, delivery July 18 and build begins! I'm gonna follow the Mojo instructions. :yesway:

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I'm in! Just placed my order, delivery July 18 and build begins! I'm gonna follow the Mojo instructions. :yesway:
Congratulations!
I think you will find that the kit travels EXTREMELY fast!
Mine took 6 days as I recall, to get from 1 side of the world, to the other!
I dont know how they do it!

bassmastermkii

Reaction score
I built a 5e3 kit from Mission with my nephew as a graduation present for him and to teach him stuff. Killer sounding amp with a Celestion 30th Anniversary. Very Marshall sounding amp when jumped and the 12” is key. He giggled it for years and was even on the BBC when they did a piece on the old Gibson factory In Kalamazoo Michigan.

A couple of years later I picked up a Victoria for $900 with a Weber alnico and vintage tubes. Sounds great and not so different from the Misssion kit that tube rolling and speakers couldn’t move one amp to the other tonally.

I will share that if you go 12ax7 in v1 you loose the ability to go from “clean to mean” with just guitar volume. However, NOS 12ay7 were 100% microphonic in my experience except the JAN. I can recommend the EH for value OR if you have a tired old 12AX7, try it. I had great success with a Brimar 12ax7 52mu (amplification factor = mu, 12AX7 supposed to be 100, 12ay7 supposed to be 44).

Bottom line is: v1 in 5e3 is the money shot! The amps character can be changed dramatically with that single tube and working the volume controls. So dig deep into your “these might come in handy” 12ax7 used tubes but I doubt it” stash.

Reaction score
I picked up one of the handwired reissues off of the used gear list on Guitar Center. It was being sold for $1000. When it arived, it was brand new. Still wrapped in plastic, display tag still secured to the top of the amp. And the cover was sealed. not a scratch, but the jewel light was burnt out. I was having issues with the volume of the amp. Really loud. I ended up picking up a Weber micro mass attenuator second hand, and that took care of that! I’ve ran it through 212 cab and a Marshall 1965 cab too. Wow! The sound out of that 410 is killer….

Reaction score
Here is the link to the $289 kit that I recently purchased:
The sellers states, that there is no tech advice included at that price!
Imagine that!
So please keep that in mind!
I just purchased and received one.
It arrived extremely fast from China!
6 days transit time total.
Unbelievably fast shipping.
The kit includes everything except cab and speaker.
The quality is decent for a $289 5E3 kit!
The chrome chassis is very nice.
The pre-amp tubes that I received are Psvane.
It comes with a schematic, but thats all the help you get from seller!
However, there is plenty of info on 5E3's on the web.
The transformers are my biggest concern at this point, as there are many spare wires, with no instructions, but I believe I have figured it out.
The big bag of resistors are not labeled, so you must be able to "read" them based on their colored stripes.
Ive listened to one and they sound great, just like the $600 kits.
But be forewarned....
If you order one, your going to get a big box of parts, and must figure it out yourself!
Thats half the fun!
Buy a quality kit like Mojotone with instructions and support
That cheap Chinese kit is a waste, no support? No way

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Buy a quality kit like Mojotone with instructions and support
That cheap Chinese kit is a waste, no support? No way
The Mojotone kit has been out of stock for a long time, and is twice the price.
The "cheap" kit sounds awesome and the instructions directly apply!
And the internet offers lots of support, such as Rob Robinetts web pages, mods, etc.
The 5E3 circuit is much more than a cookie cutter, 1 way only street.
But thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

TWANG

Reaction score
The sound of a cranked Tweed Deluxe is a glorious thing. The clean sounds are great too, IMHO.

Try something like a Bad Bob boost in front of it and stand back!

I've built several of these, some in 1X12 cabs and this one in a crate head I repurposed.
This one has the rectifier tube, most of my others have diode rectification.
I also have Classic Tone PT and OT-now hard to find and costly.
But I use Antek torroidal PT's in several.. they work fine and don't get hot. nice!
I do recommend to the guy who's experiencing some trepidation about his first build that he
think carefully in advance.
(I have one on the bench driving me bats!!!)
Point to point? using your own home made turret board?
Buy a kit and use the board they supply, usually with copper traces. (some better than others)?
Be ready for a couple of delays.. usually parts error related if you source your own, (blush).
But hey.. also be ready to have a great deal of fun.
Hand in pocket.
Twang
sez my upload pic is too large so I just put in a pile of old amps

Attachments

• JULY AMPS PILE.jpeg
    JULY AMPS PILE.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 1

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I've built several of these, some in 1X12 cabs and this one in a crate head I repurposed.
This one has the rectifier tube, most of my others have diode rectification.
I also have Classic Tone PT and OT-now hard to find and costly.
But I use Antek torroidal PT's in several.. they work fine and don't get hot. nice!
I do recommend to the guy who's experiencing some trepidation about his first build that he
think carefully in advance.
(I have one on the bench driving me bats!!!)
Point to point? using your own home made turret board?
Buy a kit and use the board they supply, usually with copper traces. (some better than others)?
Be ready for a couple of delays.. usually parts error related if you source your own, (blush).
But hey.. also be ready to have a great deal of fun.
Hand in pocket.
Twang
sez my upload pic is too large so I just put in a pile of old amps
5E3's transformers are suppose to get very hot!
Its part of the 5E3 vibe!
Im courious what issues you are having with the one on your bench?

wavytech

Reaction score
My first kit build was an Allen Accomplice from David Allen. While it was expensive, it came with a complete illustrated step-by-step guide with very specific tool recommendations and building guidelines. I highly recommend something like this for your first build. It was flawless and a one-of-a-kind amp. My next kit was a Mojotone 18W TMB mini-bluesbreaker that only included a schematic and layout, no build instructions, and the schematic didn't match the layout! But by then I was on a roll and figured out how to build it on my own. Both amps are keepers.