Favorite Recorded Marshalls on a Song or Album (legendary or current)

eastsidecincy

Reaction score
I read that the Allman Bros used JBLs in their Marshall cabs......but after blowing 4 Celestions I can understand why....that was a great guitar sound..Whipping Post!

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
OK, of course this short list starts with EVH's tone on the first few VH albums. That's a given.

Beyond that, there are not very many pure Marshall tones that absolutely stand out in my mind. Oh, there are plenty of great ones, but the ones that stand out and that are pure Marshall noises and not the product of an extensive signal chain are relatively few and far between.

The late break in "Eyes Without A Face" by Billy Idol is just such a perfect example of the tone of a rampaging Superlead in perfect form. It's exactly what I expect out of a dimed Superlead fed by a Les Paul.

colchar

Reaction score
OK, of course this short list starts with EVH's tone on the first few VH albums. That's a given.

Beyond that, there are not very many pure Marshall tones that absolutely stand out in my mind. Oh, there are plenty of great ones, but the ones that stand out and that are pure Marshall noises and not the product of an extensive signal chain are relatively few and far between.

That is one of the reasons I love Duane and Dickey's tones so much - they were plugged straight in.

colchar

Reaction score
Spot on!! Dickey’s tone is the primo example of a clean singing 100W Super Lead and contrasted/ complimented Duane’s Bass 50 tone so well. I actually preferred Dickey’s tone.

I love thick tone, almost cello like. Duane's tone nails that, as does Eddie's from the first two or three Van Halen records. But even more than those thick tones, I love Dickey's tone. To me, it was perfection.

I have an Orange AD30, and I read a review once that said that amp gives up Dickey Betts tones all day long. I haven't nailed those tones with that amp yet (not that I've even been trying), but hope I can at some point. I wish I could find that review to see if it mentioned settings. I also need to get me an SV20! Now that I have an attenuator, I can control one of those.

LoudStroud

Reaction score
I also need to get me an SV20! Now that I have an attenuator, I can control one of those.
The SV20 will definitely get you there. And believe it or not, the SC20 110 combo totally nails that tone. The 10” speaker in conjunction with the amp approximates that singing tone so close. And at a manageable volume.

Fernieite

Reaction score
Great idea for a thread Peter! (Some excellent choices so far!)

I was first made aware of Marshall amps when "The Song Remains The Same" came out in the mid-70s.
Before that, I had very little idea of what gear people were using.

Here's a little Diddy. (You might want to grab a beer and a good couch for this one :) )

Last edited:

RCM 800

Reaction score
I love thick tone, almost cello like. Duane's tone nails that, as does Eddie's from the first two or three Van Halen records. But even more than those thick tones, I love Dickey's tone. To me, it was perfection.

I have an Orange AD30, and I read a review once that said that amp gives up Dickey Betts tones all day long. I haven't nailed those tones with that amp yet (not that I've even been trying), but hope I can at some point. I wish I could find that review to see if it mentioned settings. I also need to get me an SV20! Now that I have an attenuator, I can control one of those.
I can approximate a Dicky tone with my LP/2204 low input but amp dimed. Still pretty clean but sings. Bloody loud though lol. Similar setup but less volume with a TS9 for less ear damage works too.

Neptical

Reaction score
SO many fantastic Marshall tones. I love music from every angle so there's A.LOT. and this is only Marshall.

Alex Lifeson
Dickie & Duane
Frank Black & Joey Santiago
John Christ
Piggy D'Amour
Dave Mustaine (early years)
Hetfield ( early years)
KK Downing & Tipton
Dave Murray & Adrian Smith
Hank Shermann & Michael Denner
Kerry King & Jeff Hanneman

..I could have fun with this all night.

LoudStroud

Reaction score
Really great stuff being posted!! Here's a few more...

A slightly obscure one. Trapeze w Glenn Hughes on bass, Mel Galley on guitar, later w Whitesnake and Dave Holland, later the best drummer Judas Priest ever had. Pure unadulterated, SG Special straight into a Marshall tone.

Fierce. So many great Ritchie Blackmore examples.

As @TXOldRedRocker noted, can't carry on this conversation without Billy and Dusty. More pure and unadulterated. Most anything on the first four albums. Here's just one of many that made an impact on me early on.